RE: [SPAM] RE: [SPAM] RE: [ScoutRadio] Signaling Merit Badge Requirements

  • barry whittemore
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 26 7:54 AM
      BUt it does. requirement 4 reads as follows (from your message and from the
      merit badge req.)
      The boys had a great time building there kits and were excited when they did
      as they were supposed to do. we had to use some test equip to debug one of
      them. (there was a transistor mounted backwards) and that fed right into the
      test equipment requirement. overall it was a fun time for all. one of the
      boys wants to go right into the radio MB. (his grandfather is a SK)
      73
      Barry

      4. Discuss each of the following with your merit badge counselor, and
> [...]
      >the
      >best of your ability, explain to your counselor how the circuit you built
      >operates.

      >From: "J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT" <w2ttt@...>
      >To: <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: RE: [SPAM] RE: [SPAM] RE: [ScoutRadio] Signaling Merit Badge
      >Requirements
      >Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:21:05 -0000
      >
      >Barry,
      >
      >It's a great thing that they built something, however since 2004, the
      >requirements for the Electronics Merit Badge do not define even a option to
      >build something. The text below is from Meritbadge.com.
      >
      >YIS,
      >
      >Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
      >
      >201.314.6964
      >
      >Boy Scout Merit Badge Requirements
      >
      >http://www.meritbadge.com/_themes/expeditn/exphorsa.gif
      >
      >[BADGE]ELECTRONICS
      >
      >1. Describe the safety precautions you must exercise when using,
      >building, altering, or repairing electronic devices.
      >2. Do the following:
      >
      >a. Draw a simple schematic diagram. It must show resistors, capacitors,
      >and transistors or integrated circuits, Use the correct symbols. Label all
      >parts.
      >b. Tell the purpose of each part.
      >
      >3. Do the following:
      >
      >a. Show the right way to solder and desolder.
      >b. Show how to avoid heat damage to electronic components.
      >c. Tell about the function of a printed circuit board. Tell what
      >precautions should be observed when soldering printed circuit boards.
      >
      >4. Discuss each of the following with your merit badge counselor, and
      >then choose ONE of the following and build a circuit to show the techniques
      >used:
      >
      >a. Tell how you can use electronics for a control purpose, and then
      >build a control device circuit.
      >b. Tell about the basic principles of digital techniques, and then
      >build a digital circuit. Show how to change three decimal numbers into
      >binary numbers, and three binary numbers into decimal numbers.
      >c. Tell about three audio applications of electronics, and then build
      >an audio circuit.
      >
      >Show how to read the schematic diagram of the project you choose and, to
      >the
      >best of your ability, explain to your counselor how the circuit you built
      >operates.
      >
      >5. Do the following:
      >
      >a. Show how to solve a simple problem involving current, voltage, and
      >resistance using Ohm's law.
      >b. Tell about the need for and the use of test equipment in
      >electronics. Name three types of test equipment. Tell how they operate.
      >
      >6. Find out about three career opportunities in electronics that
      >interest you. Discuss with and explain to your counselor what training and
      >education are needed for each position.
      >
      >BSA Advancement ID#: 44
      >Source: Boy Scout Requirements, #33215, revised 2004

      It�s tax season, make sure to follow these few simple tips
      http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/PreparationTips/PreparationTips.aspx?icid=HMMartagline
    • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 26 8:16 AM
        DOH!
        I mis-read it...the good news is that is what we do!
        YIS,
        Gordon

> [...]

        >c. Tell about three audio applications of electronics, and then build
        >an audio circuit.
        >
        >Show how to read the schematic diagram of the project you choose and, to
        >the
        >best of your ability, explain to your counselor how the circuit you built
        >operates.
        >
        >5. Do the following:
        >
        >a. Show how to solve a simple problem involving current, voltage, and
        >resistance using Ohm's law.
        >b. Tell about the need for and the use of test equipment in
        >electronics. Name three types of test equipment. Tell how they operate.
        >
        >6. Find out about three career opportunities in electronics that
        >interest you. Discuss with and explain to your counselor what training and
        >education are needed for each position.
        >
        >BSA Advancement ID#: 44
        >Source: Boy Scout Requirements, #33215, revised 2004

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • barry whittemore
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 26 8:29 AM
          no problem. by the way, i found http://www.gibsonteched.com/main.html as a
          source of many kits that are inexpensive and fun projects for anyone doing
          the electronics MB
          Barry
          WB1EDI

        • Gary Wilson
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 26 9:41 AM
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Pearl - W4ABC" <jonpearl@...>
            wrote:

            > Have you any insights into what your researcher's information is
            going to
            > culminate in?

            He's a graduate student majoring in the history of technology and is
            writing a paper on the development of rthe radio industry up to 1927.
            He found my radio merit badge web site and was interested in how
            Scouting might haved sparked interested in Radio in the youth of the
            era.

            73

            Gary, K2GW
          • Milt Forsberg
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 26 9:59 AM
              Also, FAR Circuits has been most cooperative with Scout groups ordering
              in quantity. The link is below. I am not associated with them.

              Milt K9QZI
              Champaign IL

              http://www.farcircuits.net/

              barry whittemore wrote:
              > no problem. by the way, i found http://www.gibsonteched.com/main.html as a
              > source of many kits that are inexpensive and fun projects for anyone doing
              > the electronics MB
              > Barry
              > WB1EDI

            • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 26 10:25 AM
                I'm sure he's making good use of the Internet for his fact finding missions.
                I'm afraid, though, there will come a time when the history on subjects such
                as these, might well become history themselves.

                Fraternally,

                Jon Pearl - W4ABC

                >> Have you any insights into what your researcher's information is
                > going to
                >> culminate in?
                >
                > He's a graduate student majoring in the history of technology and is
                > writing a paper on the development of rthe radio industry up to 1927.
                > He found my radio merit badge web site and was interested in how
                > Scouting might haved sparked interested in Radio in the youth of the
                > era.
                >
                > 73
                >
                > Gary, K2GW
              • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 26 12:36 PM
                  At 9:37 AM -0400 26/3/07, barry whittemore wrote:
                  >Some merit badges still require building things. I just finnished up the
                  >Electronics MB with a few boys and that requires building electronic kits.
                  >AH, solder smoke, how sweet it is.
                  >barry
                  >WB1EDI/KB1NH

                  I taught Electronics MB at camp in summer 2005. I had a lot of fun teaching soldering and not just for the smell of solder flux. I told the Scouts that minor burns were an inevitable part of soldering and not to worry about the smell of burning skin. They actually took it as a point of pride when they invariably burned themselves. Sorta a red badge of courage. :-D

                  Editor-Publisher
                  "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
                  No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
                  http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
                • Gary Wilson
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 30 12:57 PM
                    --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Dana McRae" <w6dbm@...> wrote:

                    > One a small point - Semaphore is a totally different method of
                    > signalling (with it's own "code" (*not* Morse)) than "wigwag", which
                    > *does* use Morse Code (to the "wagger's" R = Dot; to the L = Dash,
                    as I recall).

                    > "Wigwag" used a single, longer pole, usually with a flag at the end,
                    > while semaphore required two flags, attached to much shorter poles.

                    Correct. Either Semaphore or Wig Wag could be used to meet the First
                    Class requirement in effect until 1972.

                    Semaphore uses two diagonaly striped flags which are held in each
                    hand. The position of the arms (like the hands of a clock) indicate
                    the letter. For example, both arms stuck straight out at 9 o'clock
                    and 3 o'clock is "R". The flags are just used to increase
                    visibility. Navy signalman sometimes "talk" to each other just using
                    their hands alone when ships are alongside.

                    Wigwag was a way of sending Morse Code using a single flag on a long
                    pole. A figure eight twirl to the senders right was a dot and a
                    twirl to the left was a dash. Boy Scouts could remember this easily
                    by thinking of their patrol emblem as a dot and their community (now
                    Council) strip as a dash. The flag was brought to the vertical
                    between letters.

                    Two flags were available in a wigwag set to maximize the contrast
                    against a given background; a white square on a red field and red
                    square on white field. Only one would be used in a given situation.
                    Th US Army Signal corps emblem consists of these two flags.

                    It's still fun for kids to do and gives tham a purpose to build those
                    signal towers.

                    73

                    Gary, K2GW
                  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 30 4:42 PM
                      At 7:57 PM +0000 30/3/07, Gary Wilson wrote:

                      >Correct. Either Semaphore or Wig Wag could be used to meet the First
                      >Class requirement in effect until 1972.

                      And we all remember the furor when National announced they were dropping the signaling requirement:

                      • It would "cheapen" the First Class requirements so that ANYONE could become 1st Class.

                      • The "old-timers" felt that the newby 1st Classes would demean those who had earned their ranks the hard way.

                      • Morse Code and semaphore would become "dead languages", lost arts.

                      • The signaling requirement was part of the tradition for becoming First Class, a tradition lost forever, wiped out with the stroke of a pen.

                      • Once the hurdle of signaling was abandoned, everybody would become Eagles.

                      • Everyone would want to become a Scout since the requirements were dumbed down. Why, even Girl Scouts would want to become Boy Scouts.

                      • Emergency communications would suffer.

                      --.../...--//./-//-.--/../...//-.././/

                      ..-./.-././-..//-.-/..---/..-./.-./-..///

                      :-D :-[ O:-) :-!

                      Editor-Publisher
                      "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
                      No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
                      http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
                    • Bill Stewart
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 30 5:30 PM
                        Gee, where have I heard that before??

                        73,

                        Bill Stewart, W2BSA

                        Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

                        > At 7:57 PM +0000 30/3/07, Gary Wilson wrote:
                        > >
                        > >Correct. Either Semaphore or Wig Wag could be used to meet the First
                        > >Class requirement in effect until 1972.
                        >
                        > And we all remember the furor when National announced they were
                        > dropping the signaling requirement:
                        >
                        > • It would "cheapen" the First Class requirements so that ANYONE could
                        > become 1st Class.
                        >
                        > • The "old-timers" felt that the newby 1st Classes would demean those
                        > who had earned their ranks the hard way.
                        >
                        > • Morse Code and semaphore would become "dead languages", lost arts.
                        >
                        > • The signaling requirement was part of the tradition for becoming
                        > First Class, a tradition lost forever, wiped out with the stroke of a pen.
                        >
                        > • Once the hurdle of signaling was abandoned, everybody would become
                        > Eagles.
                        >
                        > • Everyone would want to become a Scout since the requirements were
                        > dumbed down. Why, even Girl Scouts would want to become Boy Scouts.
                        >
                        > • Emergency communications would suffer.
                        >
                        > --.../...--//./-//-.--/../...//-.././/
                        >
                        > ..-./.-././-..//-.-/..---/..-./.-./-..///
                        >
                        > :-D :-[ O:-) :-!
                        >
                        > --
                        > 73 and Yours In Scouting de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS
                        > Editor-Publisher
                        > Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group EAGLE newsletter
                        > "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
                        > No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
                        > http://ocarg.org <http://ocarg.org> Subscribe:
                        > mailto:subscribe@... <mailto:subscribe%40ocarg.org>

                      • Gary Wilson
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 5, 2007
                          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...> wrote:

                          > And we all remember the furor when National announced they were
                          dropping the signaling requirement:

                          Actually, if you think about it, the First Class Scout requirments
                          originally derived from what Baden-Powell determined were essential
                          skills for a turn of the century miltary scout to know. Stalking,
                          memorization of observations, sketch map making, map and compass,
                          campcraft and flag signaling were all derived from this.

                          But military technology has moved on. Following the logic to the
                          extreme, perhaps our modern First Class Scouts should know the modern
                          equivalents used by Rangers and USAF Combat Controllers. That would
                          mean adding voice radio procedure, water filters, and GPS to the
                          existing skills. Perhaps parachute and helo insertion, using night
                          vision goggles, avoiding IED's and calling in precision guided
                          munitions using laser designators might be a bit too much. But the
                          kids would get a thrill out of it, much as kids in 1907 did with the
                          equivalent skills learned from that period.

                          Now that's a radical idea, but really no more radical than what kids
                          were doing when they first found B-P's "Aids to Scouting" book during
                          the Boer War and started playing soldier.

                          73

                          Gary Wilson, K2GW
                          (Also a keen student of Scouting history)
                        • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 5, 2007
                            Fun with a purpose. But when the requirements start including HALO jumps and rappelling out of perfectly good aircraft with us adults leading the way, then I'm out of here! :-D

                            73 de Fred K2FRD

                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 8, 2007

                              Gary and Fred,

                              Seems to me that we could have both the old and new requirements in a mix to obtain the desired results including some  basic climbing and rappelling, but of course we can leave out the HALO jumps!

                              Many of our Troop’s Scout do these things out of curiosity anyway!

                              We just need to keep them in line with Guide to Safe Scouting!

                              YIS,

                              Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                              201.314.6964