Re: [ScoutRadio] Some thoughts on radioscouting potential

  • Sjaak van Dam
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 21, 2007
      Hi Group,

      I have always been a strong believer that Scouting is the way to keep our hobby young. I myself got in to the hobby via JOTA.

      For several years Scouting was the main provider of young (younger then 18) blood in to the hobby in The Netherlands.
      At some exams (only twice a year in The Netherlands) we had a group of 30 or more scouts taking the exam, almost all the youngsters and more then 10% of all taking the exam!

      The Dutch FCC (then HDTP-OZ now Agentschap Telecom/EZ) was so impressed that they gave Scouting Netherlands special privileges and allowed them to designate special event stations that are allowed to have non licensed people behind the mike (3rd party traffic).

      As I understand it in the UK Scouting was a big driving force behind their "new" Foundation License now copied by the Australian FCC.

      Promoting our hobby within Scouting is the way to go!

      YIS Sjaak, W4 Radio Interested Scout
    • Stephen M. Shearer
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 21, 2007

        If the Scouts are (one of) the future growth of Ham Radio and I think it is.  Many of the Radio Clubs in our area are dying (or have) because of the lack of new members and even when asked to support a few Scout activities (see my note to the radio club below) I got only two replies.  Maybe I shouldn’t complain as it was two more then I expected.  I can’t do it all – the clubs need to help too.  It they won’t, they will fade away.  I know I am “preaching to the choir”… Do the radio clubs need help too and is there a way for the Scouts to “infiltrate” the clubs to get more activity toward the Scouts?  (my problem it that Scout night and the local Radio Club are the same night…)

        "... and to conduct programs and activities that advance the interest and welfare of Amateur Radio in the community."

        I know of a few opportunities to advance Amateur Radio in the community and maybe find a few new hams.  The quote above is from the FSARC Purpose.  I can't execute the opportunities by myself, but with enough help I think they would be a good event(s) for the club.

        Next year, May 2nd - 4th of May Delmarva Council BSA is holding a "Council Jamboree" at Killen's Pond.  This would be a great place to show off Ham Radio.  They are currently looking for staff to determine Who, What, Why, and How the event is planned.  The call K2BSA/3 can be had for the event...

        Merit Badge Collage just finished for the local BSA Council.  Radio merit badge was NOT offered.  It could be offered.  License testing/classes could be offered to the adults, too.  Another great place for a demo station.

        73, Steve WB3LGC and BSA Troop 30 ARC – KB3NCC

      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 21, 2007
          "Infiltrate" is the right word. Bringing another local ham-Scouter into a club can cause two such members to become a club's majority, spirit-wise. It only takes one activist ham-Scouter in a radio club to cajole, extort, browbeat, and shame the other club members into participation in Scout activities. Most often, it doesn't take much convincing and doesn't take more than a little leadership to persuade the other club members to sponsor a Scouting Special Event for such occasions as BSA's Birthday, JOTA (of course), or in the instance of my home council, a Special Event at a major council camporee to celebrate the 90th Anniversary of Troop 1, Unadilla, NY, the oldest continuously chartered Troop in the US, a long weekend which not only really raised local awareness of ham radio among Scouts and Scouters, enlivened the club and rejuvenated its members, but brought a lot of local hams back onto the radio, produced several new hams, and caused the creation of a council ham radio group.

          We actually infiltrated two other clubs in the larger area and now all three actively participate not only in Scout activities but also in other youth groups' events (e.g., 4H). The only problem with infiltration is that the infiltrators need to stick with it because the infiltratees tend to fade without leadership; infiltration will not continue on its own momentum.

          At 5:59 PM -0500 21/2/07, Stephen M. Shearer wrote:
          >If the Scouts are (one of) the future growth of Ham Radio and I think it is. Many of the Radio Clubs in our area are dying (or have) because of the lack of new members and even when asked to support a few Scout activities (see my note to the radio club below) I got only two replies. Maybe I shouldn't complain as it was two more then I expected. I can't do it all - the clubs need to help too. It they won't, they will fade away. I know I am "preaching to the choir"Š Do the radio clubs need help too and is there a way for the Scouts to "infiltrate" the clubs to get more activity toward the Scouts? (my problem it that Scout night and the local Radio Club are the same nightŠ)

          Editor-Publisher
          "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
          http://ocarg.org
        • Ray Brown
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 4, 2007
              Sorry for the very late reply, my wife was in the hospital with pneumonia for a week and
            everything got topsy-turvy... but I'm on the hamfest committee, and past President and VP
            of the club, and I think we can do just that. Technically the entrance fee is a donation anyway,
            and it's the ticket for winning the door prizes and the main prizes. But if the boys want to
            come in for free and browse around, I may just let'm. :-)

                            _Ray_        KBØSTN

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 4, 2007
              Ray,

              What are the dates in AUG? I may just drive up and browse around as well.
              I live north and west of OKC.

              I understand the topsy-turvy stuff as I have had a similar situation with my
              wife.

              Clay WA6LBU

              http://www.aol.com