Re: [ScoutRadio] Some thoughts on radioscouting potential

  • Allan R. Batteiger
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 20, 2007
      One thing we have done in GreatPlains District / Circle 10 Council
      is of course the Radio MB courses scheduled with Hamcom. Last year we
      added the 2 Day Tech class ( it really takes 2 days to cover the
      material). We licensed 15 people 5 of them scouts, If I remember the
      numebr right about 80 scouts completed the RMB. We are doing it again
      this year. The local Ham convention is an excellent time to focus
      efforts on Radio MB, Tech Classes and introducing scouts to Radio. At
      Hamcom the Scouts and Leaders in Uniform get free admission. Over the
      last year I have had over 125 people get their Licenses with the 2 day
      tech class, over a dozen of them were scouts and / or their parents.

      Allan R. Batteiger - WB5QNG

      Frank Krizan wrote:

> [...]
      > turnover. Let's use 25% -- this would give an annual yield of new
      > Ham-Scouts (potential) of 2388/4 = 597. Whatever efforts are expended
      > should be consistent with the expected results.
      >

      > Per state: 597/50 = 11.94
      >
      > Per council: 597/350 = 1.7
      >

      > It's obvious that since some Councils are in large metropolitan areas
      > some Councils will have many more Scouts becoming Hams. Some Councils
      > will have none; but, the average yield would be about 2 per Council.
      > Anything more than this is "gravy".
      >

      > We may think that this is low, but, consider how many Scouts we hear
      > about who get their Ham ticket each year.
      >

      > On the other hand, consider if each Council set a goal of 2 scouts
      > getting their Ham ticket each year. Sounds easy enough, doesn't it.
      > That would give us 700 new Ham-Scouts every year. I would think our
      > focus should be on personal contact via individuals and clubs.
      > Brochures are handy, but, personal contact will probably yield greater
      > results. JOTA, one-day Radio Merit Badge classes and, perhaps,
      > one-day Tech classes would help in producing Ham-Scouts. Clubs local
      > to Councils could provide support for Scouts as mentors (Elmers),
      > assist with low cost HTs or even loaners, setup special event stations
      > that Ham-Scouts could operate, etc.
      >

      > Clubs should look at licensing not only the Scout but also their
      > parents and other scout leaders as sources of new members -- so, it's
      > a win-win proposition.
      >

      > Let's not assume the national organization will do all the work for us
      > -- that's like asking the federal government to do everything for us
      > -- and we all know how well that works! We need to do what we can to
      > support the Hams and clubs local to Councils.
      >

      > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
      >
      > President, K2BSA Amateur Radio Association
      >

      > ______________________________________
      >

      > From QRZ.Com Jan 2007
      >

      > Numbers of US population and the number of hams at the start of each
      > decade from 1930.
      >

      > Year Population # Hams Growth Rate
      >
      > 1930 123,202,624 19,000
      >
      > 1940 132,164,569 56,000 194%
      >
      > 1950 151,325,798 87,000 55%
      >
      > 1960 179,323,175 230,000 164%
      >
      > 1970 203,211,926 263,918 15%
      >
      > 1980 226,545,805 393,353 49%
      >
      > 1990 248,709,873 502,677 28%
      >
      > 2000 281,421,906 682,240 36%
      >
      > 2007 300,000,000 655,832 -3.9%
      >

      > The 2006 number was as of December 31, 2006
      >

      > Notes,
      >
      > The base totals are from implementation of the then new licensing
      > changes in May 2000. September 6, 2004 is the date I started measuring
      > the changes. Over the two year period we are averaging a loss of about
      > 9,195 licensees per year. The peak number was in April 2003.
      >

      > 73
      >
      > George
      >
      > K3UD
      >

      > Edited by K3UD on Jan. 06 2007,03:30
      >

      > --------------
      >
      > K3UD (EX-WA3DNC - W3GEO)
      >
      > (EX- Novice - Tech - General - Advanced)

    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 20, 2007
        What a great idea! A Scouting booth or table at hamventions and hamfests. That should add a little more cement between ham radio and Scouting.

        125 new licensees in one year is amazing! I pat myself in the head if I can get (only) four new Techs per year.

        Good work, Allan!

        At 9:00 PM -0600 20/2/07, Allan R. Batteiger wrote:
        > One thing we have done in GreatPlains District / Circle 10 Council
        >is of course the Radio MB courses scheduled with Hamcom. Last year we
        >added the 2 Day Tech class ( it really takes 2 days to cover the
        >material). We licensed 15 people 5 of them scouts, If I remember the
        >numebr right about 80 scouts completed the RMB. We are doing it again
        >this year. The local Ham convention is an excellent time to focus
        >efforts on Radio MB, Tech Classes and introducing scouts to Radio. At
        >Hamcom the Scouts and Leaders in Uniform get free admission. Over the
        >last year I have had over 125 people get their Licenses with the 2 day
        >tech class, over a dozen of them were scouts and / or their parents.
        >
        >Allan R. Batteiger - WB5QNG

        Editor-Publisher
        "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
        http://ocarg.org
      • Ray Brown
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 20, 2007
          From: "Fred Stevens K2FRD" <k2frd@...>

          > What a great idea! A Scouting booth or table at hamventions and hamfests.
          > That should add a little more cement between ham radio and Scouting.

          My club in Joplin, MO will have a hamfest this August. If I can get some
          Scouts or Scouters in uniform, I'll spring for a table. Anyone in a 100-mile
          radius of Joplin, drop me a line off the list and we'll work out the details.
          It'll be the 2007 Missouri ARRL State Convention, and I'm conducting
          two ARRL VE testing sessions, one Friday evening, the other Saturday
          afternoon. This is the weekend of August 24 and 25.

          _Ray_ KBØSTN Joplin, MO
          UC, Nih-Ka-Ga-Hah District,
          Ozark Trails Council, BSA
        • ClayMayrose@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 20, 2007
            Maybe talk to the Hamfest and arrange for any scout in uniform to get in free.

            Clay, WA6LBU
            Troop 850, Eagle District, Last Frontier Council, WB5BSA

            In a message dated 2/20/07 10:51:13 P.M. Central Standard Time, kb0stn@... writes:
            My club in Joplin, MO will have a hamfest this August. If I can get some
            Scouts or Scouters in uniform, I'll spring for a table. Anyone in a 100-mile
            radius of Joplin, drop me a line off the list and we'll work out the details.
            It'll be the 2007 Missouri ARRL State Convention, and I'm conducting
            two ARRL VE testing sessions, one Friday evening, the other Saturday
            afternoon. This is the weekend of August 24 and 25.

            Check out free AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and much more.
          • Gary Wilson
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 21, 2007
              Some great thoughts here!

              I've always looked at this as a marketing problem. And the secret of
              selling anything is determing what your customers' need is , not just
              pushing what you happen to have to sell.

              In Scouting, the boys want to advance, so they select optional merit
              badges that reasonably easy to get. My favorite example is Basketry
              Merit Badge. How many teenage boys say they want to become basket
              weavers? But Basketry is one of the most popular merit badges
              because it so easy to get.

              So offering a convenient way to get Radio Merit Badge through a one
              day event atracts a lot of boys, not because they inherently find
              radio interesting, but because it's offered as a one day merit
              badge. (BTW, I do the same thing for Bird Study Merit Badge and find
              the same result).

              Over the past three years, we've attacted about 50 boys each year to
              the one day Radio Merit Badge event in our district. We use it as an
              opportunity to sell the excitement of Amateur Radio while helping the
              boys earn the badge. And by following it up with a Tech Course
              starting two weeks later, we usually convert about 5 boys (10%) and
              two adult Scouters into licensed hams. So I guess we're meeting the
              goal of 2 scouts per council with 5 a year in our district alone.

              I think this is the one of the most effective ways to get more Scouts
              into ham radio. And with all of the materials to run it in the files
              here on Scout Radio and on http://k2gw.tripod.com/ there's no excuse
              not to do it.

              Incidently, because we're now well known to the Scouters, we're now
              routinely asked to also provide radio activities at camporees, thus
              increasing our exposure even more.

              So get out there and sell the fun of Amateur Radio by offering what
              the boys want, a convenient one day way to get a merit badge that
              they don't have.

              YIS,

              Gary, K2GW
              Mercer Area District
              Central NJ Council
            • Sjaak van Dam
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 21, 2007
                Hi Group,

                I have always been a strong believer that Scouting is the way to keep our hobby young. I myself got in to the hobby via JOTA.

                For several years Scouting was the main provider of young (younger then 18) blood in to the hobby in The Netherlands.
                At some exams (only twice a year in The Netherlands) we had a group of 30 or more scouts taking the exam, almost all the youngsters and more then 10% of all taking the exam!

                The Dutch FCC (then HDTP-OZ now Agentschap Telecom/EZ) was so impressed that they gave Scouting Netherlands special privileges and allowed them to designate special event stations that are allowed to have non licensed people behind the mike (3rd party traffic).

                As I understand it in the UK Scouting was a big driving force behind their "new" Foundation License now copied by the Australian FCC.

                Promoting our hobby within Scouting is the way to go!

                YIS Sjaak, W4 Radio Interested Scout
              • Stephen M. Shearer
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 21, 2007

                  If the Scouts are (one of) the future growth of Ham Radio and I think it is.  Many of the Radio Clubs in our area are dying (or have) because of the lack of new members and even when asked to support a few Scout activities (see my note to the radio club below) I got only two replies.  Maybe I shouldn’t complain as it was two more then I expected.  I can’t do it all – the clubs need to help too.  It they won’t, they will fade away.  I know I am “preaching to the choir”… Do the radio clubs need help too and is there a way for the Scouts to “infiltrate” the clubs to get more activity toward the Scouts?  (my problem it that Scout night and the local Radio Club are the same night…)

                  "... and to conduct programs and activities that advance the interest and welfare of Amateur Radio in the community."

                  I know of a few opportunities to advance Amateur Radio in the community and maybe find a few new hams.  The quote above is from the FSARC Purpose.  I can't execute the opportunities by myself, but with enough help I think they would be a good event(s) for the club.

                  Next year, May 2nd - 4th of May Delmarva Council BSA is holding a "Council Jamboree" at Killen's Pond.  This would be a great place to show off Ham Radio.  They are currently looking for staff to determine Who, What, Why, and How the event is planned.  The call K2BSA/3 can be had for the event...

                  Merit Badge Collage just finished for the local BSA Council.  Radio merit badge was NOT offered.  It could be offered.  License testing/classes could be offered to the adults, too.  Another great place for a demo station.

                  73, Steve WB3LGC and BSA Troop 30 ARC – KB3NCC

                • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 21, 2007
                    "Infiltrate" is the right word. Bringing another local ham-Scouter into a club can cause two such members to become a club's majority, spirit-wise. It only takes one activist ham-Scouter in a radio club to cajole, extort, browbeat, and shame the other club members into participation in Scout activities. Most often, it doesn't take much convincing and doesn't take more than a little leadership to persuade the other club members to sponsor a Scouting Special Event for such occasions as BSA's Birthday, JOTA (of course), or in the instance of my home council, a Special Event at a major council camporee to celebrate the 90th Anniversary of Troop 1, Unadilla, NY, the oldest continuously chartered Troop in the US, a long weekend which not only really raised local awareness of ham radio among Scouts and Scouters, enlivened the club and rejuvenated its members, but brought a lot of local hams back onto the radio, produced several new hams, and caused the creation of a council ham radio group.

                    We actually infiltrated two other clubs in the larger area and now all three actively participate not only in Scout activities but also in other youth groups' events (e.g., 4H). The only problem with infiltration is that the infiltrators need to stick with it because the infiltratees tend to fade without leadership; infiltration will not continue on its own momentum.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 4, 2007
                        Sorry for the very late reply, my wife was in the hospital with pneumonia for a week and
                      everything got topsy-turvy... but I'm on the hamfest committee, and past President and VP
                      of the club, and I think we can do just that. Technically the entrance fee is a donation anyway,
                      and it's the ticket for winning the door prizes and the main prizes. But if the boys want to
                      come in for free and browse around, I may just let'm. :-)

                                      _Ray_        KBØSTN

                      Maybe talk to the Hamfest and arrange for any scout in uniform to get in free.

                      Clay, WA6LBU
                      Troop 850, Eagle District, Last Frontier Council, WB5BSA

                      In a message dated 2/20/07 10:51:13 P.M. Central Standard Time, kb0stn@... writes:
                      My club in Joplin, MO will have a hamfest this August. If I can get some
                      Scouts or Scouters in uniform, I'll spring for a table. Anyone in a 100-mile
                      radius of Joplin, drop me a line off the list and we'll work out the details.
                      It'll be the 2007 Missouri ARRL State Convention, and I'm conducting
                      two ARRL VE testing sessions, one Friday evening, the other Saturday
                      afternoon. This is the weekend of August 24 and 25.

                      Check out free AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and much more.

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    • ClayMayrose@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 4, 2007
                        Ray,

                        What are the dates in AUG? I may just drive up and browse around as well.
                        I live north and west of OKC.

                        I understand the topsy-turvy stuff as I have had a similar situation with my
                        wife.

                        Clay WA6LBU

                        http://www.aol.com