JOTA questions

  • R. Neil Brock
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
      Hello all,
      I have been asked to coordinate a JOTA station for our local scouts
      of all ages.
      I am lucky to have a couple of Generals helping,(I am a
      tech,diligently studying though)because my HF experience is very
      limited. But they have never participated in a JOTA.
      My question is: How do we go about identifying our station on the
      air? Do we need to put in for a special event call or what?

      More questions sure to follow.

      YIS,
      R. Neil Brock
      Asst. Cubmaster, Pack 574
      Mocksville, NC
    • Milt Forsberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
        You normally will use the call of one of the operators. No special call
        is needed, however, if the operator wants to apply for one of the special
        event calls, it might be granted. There are lots of units on the air, so
        probably the special event call won't be granted for that purpose. The
        operator can just use his call and announce he is operating JOTA. During
        that weekend, JOTA stations are easy to spot, due to the nature of the
        conversations. The whole operation is informal.

        Milt Forsberg, K9QZI
        Champaign, IL

        On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, R. Neil Brock wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > I have been asked to coordinate a JOTA station for our local scouts
        > of all ages.
        > I am lucky to have a couple of Generals helping,(I am a
        > tech,diligently studying though)because my HF experience is very
        > limited. But they have never participated in a JOTA.
        > My question is: How do we go about identifying our station on the
        > air? Do we need to put in for a special event call or what?
        >
        > More questions sure to follow.
        >
        > YIS,
        > R. Neil Brock
        > Asst. Cubmaster, Pack 574
        > Mocksville, NC
      • Jay Chamberlain
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2000
          Neil,
          JOTA 1990 is why I became a ham in 1992. I have taken part, in one way
          or another in every JOTA since. I find just CQing JOTA is enough to ID your
          station as taking part in JOTA, I have always used my home call.
          It may be to late, but as an adult scouter and if you are a General
          (keep studying) or above you can apply to use K2BSA/?. I have done that
          several times for camporees and scout shows and it is a lot of fun to use
          the call. Call the international branch at BSA HQ Irving, TX. they can put
          you in contact with the trustee.
          With all the new 1x1 call signs maybe one of the S calls might still be
          available ie W1S, W2S, K4S....... S for Scout.......
          Some operating ideas..... have a couple of printed sheets with the
          phonetic alphabet on them including your call sign spelled out phonetically.
          Q signals list used for phone ops, a 24"x36" or similar size US and or world
          map so your kids can color in the states/countries they work.

          My thoughts..... have a great time and let the boys operate.

          Jay AE4MK Trustee K3FBI
          ASM Troop 170
          Fredericksburg, VA

          > I have been asked to coordinate a JOTA station for our local scouts
          > of all ages.
          > I am lucky to have a couple of Generals helping,(I am a
          > tech,diligently studying though)because my HF experience is very
          > limited. But they have never participated in a JOTA.
          > My question is: How do we go about identifying our station on the
          > air? Do we need to put in for a special event call or what?
          >
          > More questions sure to follow.
          >
          > YIS,
          > R. Neil Brock
          > Asst. Cubmaster, Pack 574
          > Mocksville, NC

        • Dave Colter
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2000
            Neil, one of the most important ways you can identify your station as
            part of JOTA is to call "CQ JOTA" or "CQ jamboree". The latter is the
            more traditional, but I've heard both used.
            Dave Colter, SM
            WA1ZCN