Proposal for modification of the Scout Camp Calling Protocol

  • Frank Krizan
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20 11:22 AM

      Howdy everyone,

      2006 was the beginning of the Scout Camp Calling Protocol (SCCP).  Word was late getting out, so the number of scouts, scouters and scout camps actually on the air using the SCCP was limited.

      I propose we continue to use the SCCP as implemented in 2006 with the following extension:

      At 2030Z daily, we’ll have a Daily Gathering of Scouts (DGOF) on 14290 kHz (+/- QRM and other stations).  I do not recommend this be a formal Net, but, as we get more and more participation, someone must spontaneously jump in to give direction.  This daily gathering can allow scouts, scouters and scout camps to make contact, pick an alternate frequency and move off to have their own QSO or work out a sked for later contact.  As we see this to be useful, various organizations (ARRL, KARA, etc.) may also wish to make announcements.

      I’m recommending the 2030Z time because it’s the same as the USA National BSA Net announced for Sundays on 14290.  This time should also keep us clear of other “noontime” nets.  I can’t confirm the Sunday Net is currently active, but, with enough interest, perhaps we can formalize something.

      The frequency list has been updated to incorporate the latest recommendations from WOSM for World Scout Frequencies.

      Please give your opinion on the acceptability of the revised SCCP and the daily gathering.

      73, Frank KR1ZAN

      President, K2BSA Amateur Radio Association

      The 2007 Scout Camp Calling Protocol (SCCP) - - - D R A F T

      1. Scout camps, and any interested ham-Scouters not at camp, are encouraged to get on the air at 1300, 1900, and 2100 hours local time.
      2. Calling times extend from 5 minutes before to 5 minutes after the hour. The recognized call will be “CQ SCOUT CAMPS.”
      3. Use the traditional Scout calling frequencies, +/- 10 KHz, avoiding any nets. http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/jota.html#frequencies and http://www.scout.org/en/information_events/events/jota/all_about_jota/world_scout_frequencies have additional information.  Where two frequencies are shown, the first frequency is the preferred in the U.S.

      BAND

      SSB

      CW

      80 Meters

      3.690 / 3.940 MHz

      3.570 MHz

      40 Meters

      7.190 / 7.270 MHz *

      7.030 MHz

      20 Meters

      14.290 MHz **

      14.060 MHz

      1. There are two frequency bands for each time. Participating stations will use the higher band during the 5 minutes before the hour and the lower band during the 5 minutes after the hour to maximize propagation conditions.
      2. The bands to use are:

      1.     Daytime (1300 and 1900 hours): 20m/40m.

      2.     Nighttime (2100 hours): 40m/80m.

      1. Scout camps, Scouts and Scouters from the United States , Canada , and the rest of the world are encouraged to monitor according to the plan from 1700Z to 2000Z and from 2300Z to 0400Z to support Scout camps with traffic handling and talking with Scouts.

      *7.270 might be unusable in the evening and night hours due to Asian broadcast stations. Tune up or down to find an opening.

      **Avoid 14.300, since the Maritime Mobile Service Net and the Intercontinental Traffic Net use this frequency.

      For those wishing to operate PSK-31, the times shown should be used for monitoring and calling on the applicable PSK-31 frequencies.

      Bob Bruninga, WB4APR, developer of Automatic Position Reporting System (APRS) and another avid ham-Scouter, has added the following suggestions for Scout camps and ham-Scouters equipped with APRS.

      1. If your camp has APRS, send a message to SCOUTS at the beginning and end of all operating periods. An APRS message to SCOUTS will be retransmitted everywhere in the USA and the world where SCOUTS has been added to the automatic “pass-to-RF” at the local IGate.
      2. Contact the local IGate that serves your camp area and ask the SYSOP to include “SCOUTS” in its automatic “pass-to-RF” list. This way, you can receive, in real time, any other SCOUTS messages in the world alerting you of other stations on the air.
      3. Make sure that your station is using the APRS symbol for Scouts. That way, any other station in the world can check the APRS FINDU Web page and see live which other SCOUT stations are on the air.

      http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/symbol.cgi?icon=/,&limit=2000

      Scouts, scouters, scout camps and interested parties are asked to join the Daily Gathering of Scouts (DGOS) at 2030Z on or about 14290 kHz to make contact and move to a clear frequency or make a sked.  This will be an informal Net.  Among the first to ID on frequency, someone should assume the role of Net Control.  This will be helpful to facilitate communications, announcements, etc.  This is also helpful for training of Net Control Stations.

    • kg4bir@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20 11:35 AM
        From a personal standpoint, the only way I'd be able to check into a net at that time of day is from my mobile on the way home from work. I normally teach the Radio merit badge at summer camp two nights a week from approximately 7:00 - 9:00 PM. It's the second night that we try to do the operating, which wasn't very successful last summer (our first summer attempting radio). Of course if we could get others on the air that late at night during the week, that would fulfill my dilemma. I do like the idea of having a scouting related HF net though and will do what I can to fully support it.

        In Scouting and Service,

        Dave Adsit
        KG4BIR
        Stephens City, VA

        From: "Frank Krizan" <frank.krizan@...>

        Howdy everyone,

[...]

      • Bill Stewart - W2BSA
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 20 11:46 AM
          Frank and everyone,
          The only suggestion I would make is to change the local times to UTC. It seems to me that the main problem last year is that
          folks would listen at their local time and not hear anything. Consequentially, contacts were not being made.

          73,

          Bill Stewart, W2BSA