RE: [ScoutRadio] New JOTA/Scout Frequencies

  • vk2facd@drworm.info
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 19, 2007
      Hi Fred,

      I didn't think these new frequencies came in til 1 July 2007 as per the
      link you gave.

      The current frequencies should still be used until then.

      Yours in Scouting,

      Andrew
      VK2FACD
      SL 1st Asquith Scout Group

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 19, 2007
        Hi All. the name Is Jeff and the call is KB0GVI. Just
        upgraded to general in Oct and convinced my youngest son
        16 to take the tech so he is now KC0YOR Matthew is his
        name.
        My question is, are there any weekly or monthly scout nets
        here in the US? I have been listening on 14.290 on Sundays
        for the net but have never heard it. Just wondered if it
        is still going or changes freq or is just not being done.
        Thanks & 73's
        Jeff Kent
        Scoutmaster Troop 236
        Wellman Ia
        Eagle class of '78
        Dad of 3 Eagles

        On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:54:42 -0700
        Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...> wrote:
        > In the instance ham-Scouts and -Scouters haven't heard
        >about it, we
        > now have new JOTA and Scout frequencies:
        >
        > http://www.scout.org/en/information_events/events/jota/all_about_jota/world_scout_frequencies
        > (be careful: this link may not wrap and the second line
        >may separate
        > from the first depending upon one's emailer client).
        >
        > Band SSB (phone) CW (morse)
        >
        > 80 m 3.690 & 3.940 MHz 3.570 MHz
        >
        > 40 m 7.090 MHz & 7.190 MHz no change
        >
        > 20 m no change 14.060 MHz
        >
        > 10 m no change 28.180 MHz
        >
        > 6 m 50.160 MHz (new) 50.160 MHz (new)
        >
        > This now effectively takes care of the previous conflict
        >with the 20m
        > PSK conflict.
        >

        > --
        > 73 and Yours In Scouting de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS
        > Editor-Publisher
        > Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group EAGLE newsletter
        > "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in
        >the world."
        > http://ocarg.org
      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 19, 2007
          Yes, that's what the WOSM site said, that the effective date is 1 July 2007 which is a good lead date in anticipation of JOTA although it'll be pushing the World Jamboree a little tight. It's really up to individuals if they want to use the new frequencies before then or not for non-JOTA Scouting on-air activities such as the Scout Camp Calling Protocol (SCCP). Also, the new frequencies better reflect the band allocation changes effective in the US on 15 December 2006. The most significant change, however is to get the 20m CW JOTA/Scout frequency off the 20m PSK spectrum on 14.070 where interference from ham-Scouters has been a problem for years. This should be implemented immediately.

          Please remember, these are guidelines only and not cast in concrete. Schedules between ham-Scouters may be established on any authorized frequency. The intent of these Scout frequencies is to establish contact, then move to an unoccupied frequency.

          It is important to "spread the word" of these new frequencies among other ham-Scouters starting with this group then, hopefully spreading out from here. Often, it takes years before word of such changes trickle down to many users. These changes only came out today (AFAIK), so it's gonna take awhile before operators get The Word.

          Those of us involved with the SCCP will take these new frequencies into consideration when reviewing the SCCP for this camp season which, for some camps begins in early June.

          73 and YIS,
          Fred K2FRD

        • kg4bir@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 20, 2007
            Gee, what a great idea! A weekly scouting net on HF. I'd be happy to participate. Not sure what it would take to start one or could we possibly design a script and just fire up on one of the bands.

            Great idea and I'm curious what the rest of the group thinks.

            In Scouting and Service,

            Dave Adsit
            KG4BIR
            Stephens City, VA

            From: JRK <byrdhaus@...>

            Hi All. the name Is Jeff and the call is KB0GVI. Just
            upgraded to general in Oct and convinced my youngest son
            16 to take the tech so he is now KC0YOR Matthew is his
            name.
            My question is, are there any weekly or monthly scout nets
            here in the US? I have been listening on 14.290 on Sundays
            for the net but have never heard it. Just wondered if it
            is still going or changes freq or is just not being done.
            Thanks & 73's
            Jeff Kent
            Scoutmaster Troop 236
            Wellman Ia
            Eagle class of '78
            Dad of 3 Eagles

            On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:54:42 -0700
            Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...> wrote:
            > In the instance ham-Scouts and -Scouters haven't heard
            >about it, we
            > now have new JOTA and Scout frequencies:
            >
            > http://www.scout. org/en/informati on_events/ eve nts/jota/ all_about_ jota/world_ scout_frequencie s
            > (be careful: this link may not wrap and the second line
            >may separate
            > from the first depending upon one's emailer client).
            >
            > Band SSB (phone) CW (morse)
            >
            > 80 m 3.690 & 3.940 MHz 3.570 MHz
            >
            > 40 m 7.090 MHz & 7.190 MHz no change
            >
            > 20 m no change 14.060 MHz
            >
            > 10 m no change 28.180 MHz
            >
            > 6 m 50.160 MHz (new) 50.160 MHz (new)
            >
            > This now effectively takes care of the previous conflict
            >with the 20m
            > PSK conflict.
            >

            > --
            > 73 and Yours In Scouting de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS
            > Editor-Publisher
            > Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group EAGLE newsletter
            > "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in
            >the world."
            > http://ocarg. org

          • Gary Wilson
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 20, 2007
              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, kg4bir@... wrote:
              > Gee, what a great idea! A weekly scouting net on HF. I'd be happy to
              participate. Not sure what it would take to start one or could we
              possibly design a script and just fire up on one of the bands.

              The ARRL Online net directory lists the BSA net as follows:

              Boy Scouts of America Net
              Type: International

              Detailed Information

              This is a Wide Coverage Net
              Coverage: Worldwide
              Frequencies: 14290 USB
              UTC Times are Based on Winter Months
              Days (UTC): Sn Time (UTC): 2030
              Net Manager: KB8OCC

              So it's supposed to be on Sundays at 2030 UTC. (3:30PM EST, 2:30PM
              CST, 1:30PM MST, 12:30PM PST)

              I'm not sure if it's still active, but that might be a good place to
              start. If nothing's happening, just start calling CQ Scouts. Not much
              of a script is really needed.

              73

              Gary, K2GW
            • Gary Wilson
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 20, 2007
                A few slight glitches. I happened to download the March QST insert
                for new HF hams from

                http://www.arrl.org/HFWelcome/

                which has the new ARRL Considerate Operators Frequency Guide in it
                reflecting the new subbands. Here are some observations:

                3.570 is at the bottom of the RTTY segment and in the automatically
                controlled data stations section. 3.565 instead might actually get
                heard.

                7.030 is the QRP calling frequency, so keep yourself to 5 watts here

                14.060 is the QRP calling frequency, so keep yourself to 5 watts here

                28.180 is in the automatically controlled data stations section.

                As a practical matter, I'd bet that 90 percent of Scout communication
                is phone anyway, but I would hope that we Scouts would be courteous
                if we do use thes frequencies on CW.

                73

                Gary, K2GW
              • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 20, 2007
                  It also wouldn't surprise me that some of the SSB frequencies are on somebody's net somewhere. With hundreds (thousands?) of nets, we're bound to conflict with someone sooner or later. I'm certain they'll let us know when we do. When it happens, as good Scouts and Scouters following good amateur practices, we'll yield to them and move up or down. :-)

                  73 and YIS,
                  Fred K2FRD