RE: [ScoutRadio] New Radio Merit Badge Website

  • Frank Lawlor
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 23, 2007

      I only get a blank page and a done message. I have tried IE and also Mozilla. No luck

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 23, 2007
        I wish it were pop up's.  It was as if the intended page redirected my browser, over and over again to another page.  You'd have thought I were looking for a software crack or something!

        I tried it again tonight and I went directly to the site without any fooling around.

        Jon Pearl - W4ABC
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 24, 2007
          Regarding the banner adds and any pop-ups (IE suppresses them for me)
          on Tripod, it's a trade-off. I've run the Bird Study MB site using
          their same service for five years. It's easy for me to update using
          their tools and I can ignore it for months and know it's still up. I
          have a site for another activity that was moved to a "free" server
          because some folks didn't like the host's ads and now I can't access
          it to update it!

          What prompted me to do the Radio MB one is that the previous Radio MB
          site was unavailable for three weeks since it was on a "free" hosting
          server that was down. You get what you pay for, and if a kid can't
          access Radio Merit Badge when they want, they move on and look for
          Basketry Merit Badge instead. The ad based server is always
          available since they don't get paid unless folks visit it.

          In reality, a given Scout or counselor usually only uses a particular
          Merit Badge site until they get the badge or learn how to teach it.
          Also, most browsers now easily allow suppressing pop-up's so it isn't
          a big deal, or so the users of the Bird Study MB site for the past
          five years have told me.

          In any event, if someone wants to clone the site to a free service
          without ads and monitor the tripod site for any updates I make to
          always keep them in synch, feel free to do so.

          73

          Gary, K2GW
        • Steve Jax
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 24, 2007
            Free is free and I am willing to put up with it.  Thanks so much for sharing your work with everyone.

            -Steve, N4SJJ

            Gary Wilson <k2gw@...> wrote:
[...]

            Bored stiff? Loosen up...

          • Gary Wilson
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 24, 2007
              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Steve Jax <kd4got@...> wrote:

              > Free is free and I am willing to put up with it. Thanks so much for
              sharing your work with everyone.

              > -Steve, N4SJJ

              You're all quite welcome. All I ask in return is that folks just take
              the material and get more kids interested in Amateur Radio and staying
              in Scouting because they're advancing!

              YIS,

              Gary, K2GW
            • Gary Wilson
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
                Some folks have objected to the ads on the Radio Merit Badge site I
                developed. I've discovered that we can remove them by paying the
                hosting service $5.00 per month or $60 per year.

                So if those who have objected to them feel strongly enough to
                contribute to remove them, they can contact me offline. Once we get
                enough commitments to cover the first years cost, I'll contact the
                hosting service and upgrade the account.

                Otherwise, free is free.

                73

                Gary, K2GW
              • John Brewer
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
                  If you prefer, I can host the site for free, for nothing. I work for an
                  ISP, and have a small site of my own, with not much on it, and could
                  host yours indefinitely, with no cost involved, and no ads.

                  John Brewer
                  N7MFQ

                  Gary Wilson wrote:
                  > Some folks have objected to the ads on the Radio Merit Badge site I
                  > developed. I've discovered that we can remove them by paying the
                  > hosting service $5.00 per month or $60 per year.
                  >
                  > So if those who have objected to them feel strongly enough to
                  > contribute to remove them, they can contact me offline. Once we get
                  > enough commitments to cover the first years cost, I'll contact the
                  > hosting service and upgrade the account.
                  >
                  > Otherwise, free is free.
                  >
                  > 73
                  >
                  > Gary, K2GW

                  > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Jamez
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
                    Gary Site works perfect with firefox.
                    I used it, Yesterday and Monday

                    Here is our Press release

                    The Phelps County Amateur Radio Technical Society, PCARTS hosted their
                    first, with many more to follow, Amateur Radio awareness classes. Ham
                    Radio License Classes will be Starting Soon.
                    Local Scouts Attended the Two-Day extravaganza.

                    Monday and Tuesday 6th and 7th of Feb, 2007
                    Local Scouts were introduced to Amateur Radio by PCARTS with an
                    amazing Multimedia presentation, On Air conversations and hands on
                    Radio operation.

                    The KC0DBS, Sullivan Missouri Repeater Club, +146.805 Mhz, Assisted
                    the PCARTS Club with Local "QSO" conversations Hams AAOGB, WA0BOF,
                    KB0YUP, KB0ROX, KC0YCL, KB0ROY, and W0LOU distinguished themselves as
                    Hams by providing on radio conversations with the scouts.

                    James Weber KC0YEF held the 2 meter local conversations

                    Mark Leathers N0GDB held the HF out of State conversations

                    Mark and Nathan Bookout KC0VNP/Q held the 70 centimeter conversations

                    Sgt Adam Whitford KC7GQT held the out of country internet Echolink

                    Boy Scouts, Webelos, Cub Scout and Girl Scouts, all joined in for the
                    2-Day Seminar...

                    PCARTS Club agenda:

                    To have fun, while supporting our community needs, in the Amateur
                    Radio Hobby. Provide an atmosphere of friendship and education to
                    promote Amateur Radio and provide service in times of need. The PCARTS
                    Club house is Located near the intersection of Highway 63 and I-44 in
                    Rolla, Phelps County Missouri behind the Steak and Shake and Car
                    Museum and can be found online at
                    http://www.phelpscountyhams.org OUR Club Call KC0YZA.

                    They meet every other Saturday with their next event being a Radio FOX
                    Hunt on the Saturday February 17th 2007. If you have ever been
                    interested in Amateur Radio now it the time to enter this rewarding
                    hobby. With recent Changes, by the FCC for licensing, it has never
                    been easier to get you Ham Radio License Any and all are welcome to
                    attend!

                    The PCARTS one hundred and ten (110) foot Radio tower is based at a
                    ground elevation of 1168'.

                    2m FM repeater:
                    GE Mastr II
                    Waiting for coordination

                    440 repeater:
                    443.425 Mhz / 448.425 Mhz
                    100hz PL

                    ATV Repeater
                    421.25 Mhz / 439.25 Mhz

                    The Phelps County Amateur Radio Technical Society is comprised of
                    Amateur radio operators from Phelps and Pulaski Counties in Central

                    Members:

                    From Phelps county

                    W8TDK BRYCE HINDES President, Founder and patron of PCARTS

                    NØGDB Mark Leathers n0gdb@... 573-578-4373

                    KBØWD Rich Hinkel rhinkel@... 573-308-4426

                    KCØVNQ Mark Bookout

                    KCØVNP Nathan Bookout

                    From Pulaski County

                    KC7GQT Adam Whitford Soldier Ft Wood

                    KCØYEF James R. Weber kc0yef@... 573-206-4218

                    Please any of the above members with any questions
                  • Gary Wilson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, John Brewer <n7mfq@...> wrote:

                      > If you prefer, I can host the site for free, for nothing. I work for
                      an
                      > ISP, and have a small site of my own, with not much on it, and could
                      > host yours indefinitely, with no cost involved, and no ads.

                      Thanks. I've had similar offers. There are a few issues,
                      unfortunately.

                      One is that I use Tripod's Site Builder to build and maintain it. So
                      unless someone gives me a similar tool to maintain it, it becomes
                      static.

                      The other is that I developed it because the previous Radio MB was
                      unavailable for weeks at a time as is often the case when someone hosts
                      something on small provider. My similar Bird Study MB site on Tripod
                      has been available 24/7 for over five years. Since they're a large
                      commerical provider, they don't make money when they're down.

                      Also, if we want Scouts to find it, it has to be at a stable URL so all
                      of the hundreds of Boy Socut sites can maintain a stable link for a
                      number of years.

                      So that's the logic behind why it's there. But if someone can solve
                      all three problems simultaneously, I'm open to suggestions.

                      73

                      Gary, K2GW