RE: [ScoutRadio] New Radio Merit Badge Website

  • Frank Krizan
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 23, 2007

      Thank goodness for pop-up-blockers.  I got reports of 4 to 5 per page.  Other than that, the content is excellent.

      73, Frank KR1ZAN

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 23, 2007

        I only get a blank page and a done message. I have tried IE and also Mozilla. No luck

        Thank goodness for pop-up-blockers.  I got reports of 4 to 5 per page.  Other than that, the content is excellent.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN

         _,_._,___

      • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 23, 2007
          I wish it were pop up's.  It was as if the intended page redirected my browser, over and over again to another page.  You'd have thought I were looking for a software crack or something!

          I tried it again tonight and I went directly to the site without any fooling around.

          Jon Pearl - W4ABC
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 24, 2007
            Regarding the banner adds and any pop-ups (IE suppresses them for me)
            on Tripod, it's a trade-off. I've run the Bird Study MB site using
            their same service for five years. It's easy for me to update using
            their tools and I can ignore it for months and know it's still up. I
            have a site for another activity that was moved to a "free" server
            because some folks didn't like the host's ads and now I can't access
            it to update it!

            What prompted me to do the Radio MB one is that the previous Radio MB
            site was unavailable for three weeks since it was on a "free" hosting
            server that was down. You get what you pay for, and if a kid can't
            access Radio Merit Badge when they want, they move on and look for
            Basketry Merit Badge instead. The ad based server is always
            available since they don't get paid unless folks visit it.

            In reality, a given Scout or counselor usually only uses a particular
            Merit Badge site until they get the badge or learn how to teach it.
            Also, most browsers now easily allow suppressing pop-up's so it isn't
            a big deal, or so the users of the Bird Study MB site for the past
            five years have told me.

            In any event, if someone wants to clone the site to a free service
            without ads and monitor the tripod site for any updates I make to
            always keep them in synch, feel free to do so.

            73

            Gary, K2GW
          • Steve Jax
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 24, 2007
              Free is free and I am willing to put up with it.  Thanks so much for sharing your work with everyone.

              -Steve, N4SJJ

              Gary Wilson <k2gw@...> wrote:
[...]

              Bored stiff? Loosen up...

            • Gary Wilson
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 24, 2007
                --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Steve Jax <kd4got@...> wrote:

                > Free is free and I am willing to put up with it. Thanks so much for
                sharing your work with everyone.

                > -Steve, N4SJJ

                You're all quite welcome. All I ask in return is that folks just take
                the material and get more kids interested in Amateur Radio and staying
                in Scouting because they're advancing!

                YIS,

                Gary, K2GW
              • Gary Wilson
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
                  Some folks have objected to the ads on the Radio Merit Badge site I
                  developed. I've discovered that we can remove them by paying the
                  hosting service $5.00 per month or $60 per year.

                  So if those who have objected to them feel strongly enough to
                  contribute to remove them, they can contact me offline. Once we get
                  enough commitments to cover the first years cost, I'll contact the
                  hosting service and upgrade the account.

                  Otherwise, free is free.

                  73

                  Gary, K2GW
                • John Brewer
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
                    If you prefer, I can host the site for free, for nothing. I work for an
                    ISP, and have a small site of my own, with not much on it, and could
                    host yours indefinitely, with no cost involved, and no ads.

                    John Brewer
                    N7MFQ

                    Gary Wilson wrote:
                    > Some folks have objected to the ads on the Radio Merit Badge site I
                    > developed. I've discovered that we can remove them by paying the
                    > hosting service $5.00 per month or $60 per year.
                    >
                    > So if those who have objected to them feel strongly enough to
                    > contribute to remove them, they can contact me offline. Once we get
                    > enough commitments to cover the first years cost, I'll contact the
                    > hosting service and upgrade the account.
                    >
                    > Otherwise, free is free.
                    >
                    > 73
                    >
                    > Gary, K2GW

                    > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Jamez
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
                      Gary Site works perfect with firefox.
                      I used it, Yesterday and Monday

                      Here is our Press release

                      The Phelps County Amateur Radio Technical Society, PCARTS hosted their
                      first, with many more to follow, Amateur Radio awareness classes. Ham
                      Radio License Classes will be Starting Soon.
                      Local Scouts Attended the Two-Day extravaganza.

                      Monday and Tuesday 6th and 7th of Feb, 2007
                      Local Scouts were introduced to Amateur Radio by PCARTS with an
                      amazing Multimedia presentation, On Air conversations and hands on
                      Radio operation.

                      The KC0DBS, Sullivan Missouri Repeater Club, +146.805 Mhz, Assisted
                      the PCARTS Club with Local "QSO" conversations Hams AAOGB, WA0BOF,
                      KB0YUP, KB0ROX, KC0YCL, KB0ROY, and W0LOU distinguished themselves as
                      Hams by providing on radio conversations with the scouts.

                      James Weber KC0YEF held the 2 meter local conversations

                      Mark Leathers N0GDB held the HF out of State conversations

                      Mark and Nathan Bookout KC0VNP/Q held the 70 centimeter conversations

                      Sgt Adam Whitford KC7GQT held the out of country internet Echolink

                      Boy Scouts, Webelos, Cub Scout and Girl Scouts, all joined in for the
                      2-Day Seminar...

                      PCARTS Club agenda:

                      To have fun, while supporting our community needs, in the Amateur
                      Radio Hobby. Provide an atmosphere of friendship and education to
                      promote Amateur Radio and provide service in times of need. The PCARTS
                      Club house is Located near the intersection of Highway 63 and I-44 in
                      Rolla, Phelps County Missouri behind the Steak and Shake and Car
                      Museum and can be found online at
                      http://www.phelpscountyhams.org OUR Club Call KC0YZA.

                      They meet every other Saturday with their next event being a Radio FOX
                      Hunt on the Saturday February 17th 2007. If you have ever been
                      interested in Amateur Radio now it the time to enter this rewarding
                      hobby. With recent Changes, by the FCC for licensing, it has never
                      been easier to get you Ham Radio License Any and all are welcome to
                      attend!

                      The PCARTS one hundred and ten (110) foot Radio tower is based at a
                      ground elevation of 1168'.

                      2m FM repeater:
                      GE Mastr II
                      Waiting for coordination

                      440 repeater:
                      443.425 Mhz / 448.425 Mhz
                      100hz PL

                      ATV Repeater
                      421.25 Mhz / 439.25 Mhz

                      The Phelps County Amateur Radio Technical Society is comprised of
                      Amateur radio operators from Phelps and Pulaski Counties in Central

                      Members:

                      From Phelps county

                      W8TDK BRYCE HINDES President, Founder and patron of PCARTS

                      NØGDB Mark Leathers n0gdb@... 573-578-4373

                      KBØWD Rich Hinkel rhinkel@... 573-308-4426

                      KCØVNQ Mark Bookout

                      KCØVNP Nathan Bookout

                      From Pulaski County

                      KC7GQT Adam Whitford Soldier Ft Wood

                      KCØYEF James R. Weber kc0yef@... 573-206-4218

                      Please any of the above members with any questions
                    • Gary Wilson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, John Brewer <n7mfq@...> wrote:

                        > If you prefer, I can host the site for free, for nothing. I work for
                        an
                        > ISP, and have a small site of my own, with not much on it, and could
                        > host yours indefinitely, with no cost involved, and no ads.

                        Thanks. I've had similar offers. There are a few issues,
                        unfortunately.

                        One is that I use Tripod's Site Builder to build and maintain it. So
                        unless someone gives me a similar tool to maintain it, it becomes
                        static.

                        The other is that I developed it because the previous Radio MB was
                        unavailable for weeks at a time as is often the case when someone hosts
                        something on small provider. My similar Bird Study MB site on Tripod
                        has been available 24/7 for over five years. Since they're a large
                        commerical provider, they don't make money when they're down.

                        Also, if we want Scouts to find it, it has to be at a stable URL so all
                        of the hundreds of Boy Socut sites can maintain a stable link for a
                        number of years.

                        So that's the logic behind why it's there. But if someone can solve
                        all three problems simultaneously, I'm open to suggestions.

                        73

                        Gary, K2GW