New Radio Merit Badge Website

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 23, 2007
      I noticed that the old Radio Merit Badge website developed by AA6J
      has been pretty much unavailable because of problems at qsl.net for
      some time now, so I developed a new one which can be found at

      http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadge/

      I've also added the Broadcast Radio and SWL tracks in case we find
      the rare Scout who wants to take the longer path.

      The site assists Scouts in meeting the requirements and also provides
      free instructional materials for Radio Merit Badge counselors. It's
      based on my 30 years of experience as a Radio Merit Badge counselor
      for a few hundred Scouts. Any comments and suggestions appreciated.
      My email is k2gw at arrl dot net.

      Hopefully, it will also point a few new hams to this Yahoo group.
      I'd appreciate your assistance in promoting it so that others can
      utilize it. If you have any questions, please let me know.

      Thanks,

      Gary Wilson, K2GW
      Unit Commissioner
      Mercer Area District
      Central New Jersey Council, BSA
    • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 23, 2007
        Hi Gary.

        Me and Tripod don't seem to get along. Whatever Tripod's got embedded in
        that web page, it grabs my browser and takes it immediately to far flung
        place like Classmates.com or
        http://ad.yieldmanager.com/rw?title=New%20offer%21&qs=iframe3%3FYSAAAHIIAQAiSQMAgk4BAAIABAAAAP8AAAADDgICAALN9gEANRsCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCxfAGWz%2Eg%2EAADAH07i%2ED8AAAAAAAAAAAAAIMXrEQhAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAjzG0Oos6%2EwH6HV0pzlguIBhUu7uBxTEnd3WIGgAAAAA%3D%2C%2Chttp%3A%2F%2Fk2gw%2Etripod%2Ecom%2Fradiomeritbadge%2F

        Yeah... it's a biggie.

        Only after nesting on the spam site for a moment or two, can I successfully
        navigate back to your site using the 'back' button.

        I guess that's the down side of 'free'.

        Fraternally,

        Jon Pearl - W4ABC

        >I noticed that the old Radio Merit Badge website developed by AA6J
        > has been pretty much unavailable because of problems at qsl.net for
        > some time now, so I developed a new one which can be found at
        >
        > http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadge/
        >
        > I've also added the Broadcast Radio and SWL tracks in case we find
        > the rare Scout who wants to take the longer path.
        >
        > The site assists Scouts in meeting the requirements and also provides
        > free instructional materials for Radio Merit Badge counselors. It's
        > based on my 30 years of experience as a Radio Merit Badge counselor
        > for a few hundred Scouts. Any comments and suggestions appreciated.
        > My email is k2gw at arrl dot net.
        >
        > Hopefully, it will also point a few new hams to this Yahoo group.
        > I'd appreciate your assistance in promoting it so that others can
        > utilize it. If you have any questions, please let me know.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Gary Wilson, K2GW
        > Unit Commissioner
        > Mercer Area District
        > Central New Jersey Council, BSA
      • Adsit
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 23, 2007
          I had no problem getting to the site. In fact, I kind of like it since I teach the Radio Merit Badge on a fairly regular basis. I will make good use of the site.

          Thanks,
          Dave Adsit
          KG4BIR
          Stephens City, VA

          >I noticed that the old Radio Merit Badge website developed by AA6J
          > has been pretty much unavailable because of problems at qsl.net for
          > some time now, so I developed a new one which can be found at
          >
          > http://k2gw. tripod.com/ radiomeritbadge/
          >
          > I've also added the Broadcast Radio and SWL tracks in case we find
          > the rare Scout who wants to take the longer path.
          >
          > The site assists Scouts in meeting the requirements and also provides
          > free instructional materials for Radio Merit Badge counselors. It's
          > based on my 30 years of experience as a Radio Merit Badge counselor
          > for a few hundred Scouts. Any comments and suggestions appreciated.
          > My email is k2gw at arrl dot net.
          >
          > Hopefully, it will also point a few new hams to this Yahoo group.
          > I'd appreciate your assistance in promoting it so that others can
          > utilize it. If you have any questions, please let me know.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Gary Wilson, K2GW
          > Unit Commissioner
          > Mercer Area District
          > Central New Jersey Council, BSA

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        • Frank Krizan
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 23, 2007

            Thank goodness for pop-up-blockers.  I got reports of 4 to 5 per page.  Other than that, the content is excellent.

            73, Frank KR1ZAN

            >I noticed that the old Radio Merit Badge website developed by AA6J
            > has been pretty much unavailable because of problems at qsl.net for
            > some time now, so I developed a new one which can be found at
            >
            > http://k2gw. tripod.com/ radiomeritbadge/
            >
            > I've also added the Broadcast Radio and SWL tracks in case we find
            > the rare Scout who wants to take the longer path.
            >
            > The site assists Scouts in meeting the requirements and also provides
            > free instructional materials for Radio Merit Badge counselors. It's
            > based on my 30 years of experience as a Radio Merit Badge counselor
            > for a few hundred Scouts. Any comments and suggestions appreciated.
            > My email is k2gw at arrl dot net.
            >
            > Hopefully, it will also point a few new hams to this Yahoo group.
            > I'd appreciate your assistance in promoting it so that others can
            > utilize it. If you have any questions, please let me know.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Gary Wilson, K2GW
            > Unit Commissioner
            > Mercer Area District
            > Central New Jersey Council, BSA

            size=2 width="100%" align=center>

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          • Frank Lawlor
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 23, 2007

              I only get a blank page and a done message. I have tried IE and also Mozilla. No luck

              Thank goodness for pop-up-blockers.  I got reports of 4 to 5 per page.  Other than that, the content is excellent.

              73, Frank KR1ZAN

               _,_._,___

            • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 23, 2007
                I wish it were pop up's.  It was as if the intended page redirected my browser, over and over again to another page.  You'd have thought I were looking for a software crack or something!

                I tried it again tonight and I went directly to the site without any fooling around.

                Jon Pearl - W4ABC
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 24, 2007
                  Regarding the banner adds and any pop-ups (IE suppresses them for me)
                  on Tripod, it's a trade-off. I've run the Bird Study MB site using
                  their same service for five years. It's easy for me to update using
                  their tools and I can ignore it for months and know it's still up. I
                  have a site for another activity that was moved to a "free" server
                  because some folks didn't like the host's ads and now I can't access
                  it to update it!

                  What prompted me to do the Radio MB one is that the previous Radio MB
                  site was unavailable for three weeks since it was on a "free" hosting
                  server that was down. You get what you pay for, and if a kid can't
                  access Radio Merit Badge when they want, they move on and look for
                  Basketry Merit Badge instead. The ad based server is always
                  available since they don't get paid unless folks visit it.

                  In reality, a given Scout or counselor usually only uses a particular
                  Merit Badge site until they get the badge or learn how to teach it.
                  Also, most browsers now easily allow suppressing pop-up's so it isn't
                  a big deal, or so the users of the Bird Study MB site for the past
                  five years have told me.

                  In any event, if someone wants to clone the site to a free service
                  without ads and monitor the tripod site for any updates I make to
                  always keep them in synch, feel free to do so.

                  73

                  Gary, K2GW
                • Steve Jax
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 24, 2007
                    Free is free and I am willing to put up with it.  Thanks so much for sharing your work with everyone.

                    -Steve, N4SJJ

                    Gary Wilson <k2gw@...> wrote:
[...]

                    Bored stiff? Loosen up...

                  • Gary Wilson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 24, 2007
                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Steve Jax <kd4got@...> wrote:

                      > Free is free and I am willing to put up with it. Thanks so much for
                      sharing your work with everyone.

                      > -Steve, N4SJJ

                      You're all quite welcome. All I ask in return is that folks just take
                      the material and get more kids interested in Amateur Radio and staying
                      in Scouting because they're advancing!

                      YIS,

                      Gary, K2GW
                    • Gary Wilson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
                        Some folks have objected to the ads on the Radio Merit Badge site I
                        developed. I've discovered that we can remove them by paying the
                        hosting service $5.00 per month or $60 per year.

                        So if those who have objected to them feel strongly enough to
                        contribute to remove them, they can contact me offline. Once we get
                        enough commitments to cover the first years cost, I'll contact the
                        hosting service and upgrade the account.

                        Otherwise, free is free.

                        73

                        Gary, K2GW
                      • John Brewer
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
                          If you prefer, I can host the site for free, for nothing. I work for an
                          ISP, and have a small site of my own, with not much on it, and could
                          host yours indefinitely, with no cost involved, and no ads.

                          John Brewer
                          N7MFQ

                          Gary Wilson wrote:
                          > Some folks have objected to the ads on the Radio Merit Badge site I
                          > developed. I've discovered that we can remove them by paying the
                          > hosting service $5.00 per month or $60 per year.
                          >
                          > So if those who have objected to them feel strongly enough to
                          > contribute to remove them, they can contact me offline. Once we get
                          > enough commitments to cover the first years cost, I'll contact the
                          > hosting service and upgrade the account.
                          >
                          > Otherwise, free is free.
                          >
                          > 73
                          >
                          > Gary, K2GW

                          > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Jamez
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
                            Gary Site works perfect with firefox.
                            I used it, Yesterday and Monday

                            Here is our Press release

                            The Phelps County Amateur Radio Technical Society, PCARTS hosted their
                            first, with many more to follow, Amateur Radio awareness classes. Ham
                            Radio License Classes will be Starting Soon.
                            Local Scouts Attended the Two-Day extravaganza.

                            Monday and Tuesday 6th and 7th of Feb, 2007
                            Local Scouts were introduced to Amateur Radio by PCARTS with an
                            amazing Multimedia presentation, On Air conversations and hands on
                            Radio operation.

                            The KC0DBS, Sullivan Missouri Repeater Club, +146.805 Mhz, Assisted
                            the PCARTS Club with Local "QSO" conversations Hams AAOGB, WA0BOF,
                            KB0YUP, KB0ROX, KC0YCL, KB0ROY, and W0LOU distinguished themselves as
                            Hams by providing on radio conversations with the scouts.

                            James Weber KC0YEF held the 2 meter local conversations

                            Mark Leathers N0GDB held the HF out of State conversations

                            Mark and Nathan Bookout KC0VNP/Q held the 70 centimeter conversations

                            Sgt Adam Whitford KC7GQT held the out of country internet Echolink

                            Boy Scouts, Webelos, Cub Scout and Girl Scouts, all joined in for the
                            2-Day Seminar...

                            PCARTS Club agenda:

                            To have fun, while supporting our community needs, in the Amateur
                            Radio Hobby. Provide an atmosphere of friendship and education to
                            promote Amateur Radio and provide service in times of need. The PCARTS
                            Club house is Located near the intersection of Highway 63 and I-44 in
                            Rolla, Phelps County Missouri behind the Steak and Shake and Car
                            Museum and can be found online at
                            http://www.phelpscountyhams.org OUR Club Call KC0YZA.

                            They meet every other Saturday with their next event being a Radio FOX
                            Hunt on the Saturday February 17th 2007. If you have ever been
                            interested in Amateur Radio now it the time to enter this rewarding
                            hobby. With recent Changes, by the FCC for licensing, it has never
                            been easier to get you Ham Radio License Any and all are welcome to
                            attend!

                            The PCARTS one hundred and ten (110) foot Radio tower is based at a
                            ground elevation of 1168'.

                            2m FM repeater:
                            GE Mastr II
                            Waiting for coordination

                            440 repeater:
                            443.425 Mhz / 448.425 Mhz
                            100hz PL

                            ATV Repeater
                            421.25 Mhz / 439.25 Mhz

                            The Phelps County Amateur Radio Technical Society is comprised of
                            Amateur radio operators from Phelps and Pulaski Counties in Central

                            Members:

                            From Phelps county

                            W8TDK BRYCE HINDES President, Founder and patron of PCARTS

                            NØGDB Mark Leathers n0gdb@... 573-578-4373

                            KBØWD Rich Hinkel rhinkel@... 573-308-4426

                            KCØVNQ Mark Bookout

                            KCØVNP Nathan Bookout

                            From Pulaski County

                            KC7GQT Adam Whitford Soldier Ft Wood

                            KCØYEF James R. Weber kc0yef@... 573-206-4218

                            Please any of the above members with any questions
                          • Gary Wilson
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, John Brewer <n7mfq@...> wrote:

                              > If you prefer, I can host the site for free, for nothing. I work for
                              an
                              > ISP, and have a small site of my own, with not much on it, and could
                              > host yours indefinitely, with no cost involved, and no ads.

                              Thanks. I've had similar offers. There are a few issues,
                              unfortunately.

                              One is that I use Tripod's Site Builder to build and maintain it. So
                              unless someone gives me a similar tool to maintain it, it becomes
                              static.

                              The other is that I developed it because the previous Radio MB was
                              unavailable for weeks at a time as is often the case when someone hosts
                              something on small provider. My similar Bird Study MB site on Tripod
                              has been available 24/7 for over five years. Since they're a large
                              commerical provider, they don't make money when they're down.

                              Also, if we want Scouts to find it, it has to be at a stable URL so all
                              of the hundreds of Boy Socut sites can maintain a stable link for a
                              number of years.

                              So that's the logic behind why it's there. But if someone can solve
                              all three problems simultaneously, I'm open to suggestions.

                              73

                              Gary, K2GW