  • Dan Fisher AI4GK
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2007
      Spring Camporee for Manatee District, Central Florida Council of Boy Scouts of America will be held March 16 through 18, 2007 in Palm Bay. The theme is Mission imPossible. This will be a Radio Merit Badge Camporee disguised as a communication challenge. There will be plenty of ham radio, to be sure. We plan HF, 2 meter, 70 cm, and VoIP. We plan satellite operations, Amateur TV, phone patch, and APRS. We also will be including other communications modes, including semaphore, and possibly a nighttime Morse code challenge using flashlights. We've also considered using a vehicle horn to send instructions to the Scouts in Morse.

      The idea is to let these young men know that there is more to Amateur Radio than a bunch of old grey-haired guys gabbing about boring subjects. We want to portray Amateur Radio as a vibrant, modern communications medium that is as relevent today as iPods, cell phones, and wireless Internet. If we can find someone to come up with one, we'll have a demonstration of things these kids use every day that came from Amateur Radio.

      I'm looking for more ideas and also for hams to be available for QSOs on March 17.

      Thanks and 73,

      Dan Fisher, AI4GK
      www.qrz.com/ai4gk
      Public Service Chairman, Platinum Coast Amateur Radio Society (www.pcars.org)
      Brevard County FL Public Information Officer, ARRL, the national assoication for Amateur Radio (www.arrl.org)
    • Gary Wilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2007
        > I'm looking for more ideas and also for hams to be available for
        QSOs on March 17.

        Dan:

        I'm sure you'll come with a lot by searching the messages and files
        here in Scout Radio.

        I've been suprised how kids really like to do handheld foxhunting,
        even though it's not part of the merit badge. So get some local
        foxhunters to put out a foxbox and show the kids how to find it on
        foot.

        Running a station off of solar panels and batteries also attracts a
        crowd.

        And the different videos from the league, the music videos from "The
        Ham Band" on You Tube and Icom's Dayton 2004 Hamvention video (part
        3 only with Sarah and Trevor) are nice to break up an event.

        73

        Gary, K2GW
      • Dan Fisher AI4GK
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2007
          Gary,

          Thanks for your input. We're already planning a fox hunt, and I believe we have someone in the area who is good with solar energy. I'll peruse the files here when I'm off duty. (The city has Yahoo groups blocked, as hobbies.)

          Thanks and 73,

          Dan