re: [ScoutRadio] Radio Merit Badge Day

  • Dan Fisher AI4GK
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2007
      Rich,

      I BELIEVE I'll be able to do something regardng a sked on Saturday. I'm finding that the best band daytime *seems* to be 20, but that varies from day to day as you well know. Let us know more about your frequencies. I'm sure you'll be using the Scout freq's as a starting point?

      As for activities, one thing that I've found is that if you have some junk chassis lying around, have a table set up with some basic hand tools and tell the boys that anything they can get off the chassis in one piece is theirs to own. They go nuts in taking components off the chassis.

      73,
      Dan

      Dan Fisher, AI4GK
      www.qrz.com/ai4gk
      Public Service Chairman, Platinum Coast Amateur Radio Society (www.pcars.org)
      Brevard County FL Public Information Officer, ARRL, the national assoication for Amateur Radio (www.arrl.org)

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 15, 2007
        Good day Dick.
        I monitored on and around the Scout calling frequencies from 11am to
        about 11:45am and then I had to get going. I did not hear K2GQ.
        There was alot of rag chews going on near the frequency too. Perhaps
        that is why and perhaps the band was not favorable to this area of
        Michigan. Next time you have one I will give another Scouting Go!

        Best Regards
        Doc, KD8BGQ

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "richverona" <richsd@...> wrote:

        > My club, the Roseland (NJ) Amateur Radio Club,K2GQ, is hosting a
        radio
        > merit badge day on Saturday, Jan. 13. So far, we have 16 scouts
        > signed up for the event. Suggestions from others who have
        > participated in this event are most welcome. Also, if anyone would
        > like to set up a sked for the on-the-air contacts, which we expect
        > occur around 11 AM-1PM, please advise. The club station can operate
        > on the HF bands using dipoles on 80 and 40 and a beam on 20-15.
        >
        > Dick Denby, AB2SV
        > ab2sv@...

      • richverona
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 15, 2007
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "ravennaelectronics"
          <ravennaelectronics@...> wrote:

          > Good day Dick.
          > I monitored on and around the Scout calling frequencies from 11am to
          > about 11:45am and then I had to get going. I did not hear K2GQ.
          > There was alot of rag chews going on near the frequency too.
          Perhaps
          > that is why and perhaps the band was not favorable to this area of
          > Michigan. Next time you have one I will give another Scouting Go!
          >
          > Best Regards
          > Doc, KD8BGQ
          We had a successful event with 17 scouts earning the radio badge, but
          checking to verify each scout's understanding of the material extended
          our event to 3 PM from a 9 AM start. We used a checklist from the net
          which mirrors the topics from MeritBadge.com. What process have other
          groups used to make sure the requirements are learned?
        • Gary Wilson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 16, 2007
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "richverona" <richsd@...> wrote:

            > We had a successful event with 17 scouts earning the radio badge,
            but
            > checking to verify each scout's understanding of the material
            extended
            > our event to 3 PM from a 9 AM start. We used a checklist from the
            net
            > which mirrors the topics from MeritBadge.com. What process have
            other
            > groups used to make sure the requirements are learned?

            Rich:

            In the files area here at ScoutRadio you'll find the Radio Merit
            Badge student workbooks that we use and have been shamelessly adapted
            from those used by others. The boys fill them in as we go through the
            day and they also have a take-away guide to radio.

            We try and limit the class size to 12 at a time (hence our
            rotating "patrols") and have three ham instructors in each class.
            This gets the ratio down to 4:1 for having their materials reviewed
            at the end of each session.

            Technically, the boys only need to write down the items only the
            items bordered in black, but having the other things written down
            makes it really easy for them to handle the things marked "explain"
            or "tell" in the requirements.

            BTW, we get out of the printing business by sending it to them as a
            PDF with their registration. Some of the boys actually have a lot
            completed beforehand, although we just ask them to read the pamphlet
            and work on their chart of the electromagentic spectrum as that's the
            most time consuming.

            I'm sure others have ideas as to how to do it with a large group.

            73

            Gary, K2GW