Re: Radio Merit Badge Day

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2007
      Hi Dick!

      We just completed our third annual Boy Scout Merit Badge Day at
      David Sarnoff Library in Princeton NJ, which was the home of RCA's
      Engineeing division. By sending an e-mail announcement to the three
      local councils, we had 49 Scouts earn Radio Merit Badge in one day
      with 10 leaders and 18 hams assisting from the DVRA and the DSRC.
      Many of those Scouts will now be starting a Tech course next week.

      All of the PowerPoint materials and student workbooks are here in
      files area of ScoutRadio, so anyone could run such an event in their
      area.

      In our case, we divide our large group into four patrols who rotate
      between the three one hour classes and the on the air and station
      visit experience. This lets us handle a large group but keeps each
      actuall class experience initimate.

      We also setup two VHF and one HF stations for the on air experience
      to eliminate the waiting in line. The VHF stations are our hedge
      against poor propagation. Once the Scouts have logged their on the
      air contact, another ham leads them on a short foxhunt to fill out
      that hour.

      Hope that gives you some ideas!

      73 and Good Scouting!

      Gary, K2GW
      Radio MB Counselor
      CNJ Council

      (PS. Feeel free to use this for the Eagle, Fred)
    • ravennaelectronics
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2007
        Good day Dick.
        When you have an idea of roughly what frequency you will be on let me
        know. I will go ahead and get on the air and help with the contacts.
        My son is a Boy Scout and one of my daughters is a Venturer. I will
        see if they want to be at the radio for the contact as well.
        If you want to set a sked with us then go ahead and pick a time and
        let me know. I am always glad to help out.

        Best Regards,
        Rich "Doc" Strait, KD8BGQ

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "richverona" <richsd@...> wrote:

        > My club, the Roseland (NJ) Amateur Radio Club,K2GQ, is hosting a
        radio
        > merit badge day on Saturday, Jan. 13. So far, we have 16 scouts
        > signed up for the event. Suggestions from others who have
        > participated in this event are most welcome. Also, if anyone would
        > like to set up a sked for the on-the-air contacts, which we expect
        > occur around 11 AM-1PM, please advise. The club station can operate
        > on the HF bands using dipoles on 80 and 40 and a beam on 20-15.
        >
        > Dick Denby, AB2SV
        > ab2sv@...

      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2007
          At 6:01 PM +0000 7/1/07, Gary Wilson wrote:
          >Hi Dick!
          >
          >We just completed our third annual Boy Scout Merit Badge Day at
          >David Sarnoff Library in Princeton NJ, which was the home of RCA's
          >Engineeing division. By sending an e-mail announcement to the three
          >local councils, we had 49 Scouts earn Radio Merit Badge in one day
          >with 10 leaders and 18 hams assisting from the DVRA and the DSRC.
          >Many of those Scouts will now be starting a Tech course next week.

          <snip>

          >Gary, K2GW
          >Radio MB Counselor
          >CNJ Council
          >
          >(PS. Feeel free to use this for the Eagle, Fred)

          Got it Gary, thanks!

          (Also, I seemed to have followed you to the Honda 2000 group. We gotta stop meeting like this. People are starting to talk. :-D :-D )

          Editor-Publisher
          "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
          http://ocarg.org
        • Dan Fisher AI4GK
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2007
            Rich,

            I BELIEVE I'll be able to do something regardng a sked on Saturday. I'm finding that the best band daytime *seems* to be 20, but that varies from day to day as you well know. Let us know more about your frequencies. I'm sure you'll be using the Scout freq's as a starting point?

            As for activities, one thing that I've found is that if you have some junk chassis lying around, have a table set up with some basic hand tools and tell the boys that anything they can get off the chassis in one piece is theirs to own. They go nuts in taking components off the chassis.

            73,
            Dan

            Dan Fisher, AI4GK
            www.qrz.com/ai4gk
            Public Service Chairman, Platinum Coast Amateur Radio Society (www.pcars.org)
            Brevard County FL Public Information Officer, ARRL, the national assoication for Amateur Radio (www.arrl.org)

            My club, the Roseland (NJ) Amateur Radio Club,K2GQ, is hosting a radio
            merit badge day on Saturday, Jan. 13. So far, we have 16 scouts
            signed up for the event. Suggestions from others who have
            participated in this event are most welcome. Also, if anyone would
            like to set up a sked for the on-the-air contacts, which we expect to

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 15, 2007
              Good day Dick.
              I monitored on and around the Scout calling frequencies from 11am to
              about 11:45am and then I had to get going. I did not hear K2GQ.
              There was alot of rag chews going on near the frequency too. Perhaps
              that is why and perhaps the band was not favorable to this area of
              Michigan. Next time you have one I will give another Scouting Go!

              Best Regards
              Doc, KD8BGQ

              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "richverona" <richsd@...> wrote:

              > My club, the Roseland (NJ) Amateur Radio Club,K2GQ, is hosting a
              radio
              > merit badge day on Saturday, Jan. 13. So far, we have 16 scouts
              > signed up for the event. Suggestions from others who have
              > participated in this event are most welcome. Also, if anyone would
              > like to set up a sked for the on-the-air contacts, which we expect
              > occur around 11 AM-1PM, please advise. The club station can operate
              > on the HF bands using dipoles on 80 and 40 and a beam on 20-15.
              >
              > Dick Denby, AB2SV
              > ab2sv@...

            • richverona
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 15, 2007
                --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "ravennaelectronics"
                <ravennaelectronics@...> wrote:

                > Good day Dick.
                > I monitored on and around the Scout calling frequencies from 11am to
                > about 11:45am and then I had to get going. I did not hear K2GQ.
                > There was alot of rag chews going on near the frequency too.
                Perhaps
                > that is why and perhaps the band was not favorable to this area of
                > Michigan. Next time you have one I will give another Scouting Go!
                >
                > Best Regards
                > Doc, KD8BGQ
                We had a successful event with 17 scouts earning the radio badge, but
                checking to verify each scout's understanding of the material extended
                our event to 3 PM from a 9 AM start. We used a checklist from the net
                which mirrors the topics from MeritBadge.com. What process have other
                groups used to make sure the requirements are learned?
              • Gary Wilson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 16, 2007
                  --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "richverona" <richsd@...> wrote:

                  > We had a successful event with 17 scouts earning the radio badge,
                  but
                  > checking to verify each scout's understanding of the material
                  extended
                  > our event to 3 PM from a 9 AM start. We used a checklist from the
                  net
                  > which mirrors the topics from MeritBadge.com. What process have
                  other
                  > groups used to make sure the requirements are learned?

                  Rich:

                  In the files area here at ScoutRadio you'll find the Radio Merit
                  Badge student workbooks that we use and have been shamelessly adapted
                  from those used by others. The boys fill them in as we go through the
                  day and they also have a take-away guide to radio.

                  We try and limit the class size to 12 at a time (hence our
                  rotating "patrols") and have three ham instructors in each class.
                  This gets the ratio down to 4:1 for having their materials reviewed
                  at the end of each session.

                  Technically, the boys only need to write down the items only the
                  items bordered in black, but having the other things written down
                  makes it really easy for them to handle the things marked "explain"
                  or "tell" in the requirements.

                  BTW, we get out of the printing business by sending it to them as a
                  PDF with their registration. Some of the boys actually have a lot
                  completed beforehand, although we just ask them to read the pamphlet
                  and work on their chart of the electromagentic spectrum as that's the
                  most time consuming.

                  I'm sure others have ideas as to how to do it with a large group.

                  73

                  Gary, K2GW