Summer Camp

  • Alan Stumpf
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2000
      Any Hams going to Summer Camp?
      Last week I attend our local Boy Scout camp (Heritage Reservation, Camp
      Liberty) and brought my equipment (IC-207H, car battery, HTX-202, 2m Monox
      Beam, RS-Weather Radio, few 2m Tossups). I aimed my beam to the Pittsburgh
      repeater which I have autopatch codes and attached it to the 207. The
      battery ran both the IC-207 and the Weather Radio (via the 9v battery back
      up with a 12v -9v converter) for the week.
      The staff at the beginning of the week asked for volunteers to help the
      councilors teaching merit badges. As a Skywarn spotter, WX3PIT operator
      National Weather Service Pittsburgh, and Weather merit badge councilor I
      decided to help out with the Weather merit badge. I was able setup 2
      contacts with the NWS via 2m so the scouts could complete an optional
      requirement. The 2 contacts totaled 1 hour and the 12 scouts, MB Councilor,
      Area Director, and Camp Director all had a great time. I used the HTX-202
      and a j-pole up about 20ft to hit a local repeater that WX3PIT could hit. It
      went off with out a hitch and the kids enjoyed it. So if you are going to be
      at summer camp try to volunteer Ham Radio.

      73's

      Alan Stumpf, KB3DHC
      KB3DHC@...
      http://pages.prodigy.net/aws69/
      Assistant Scoutmaster Troop 377
      Greater Pittsburgh Council
      Enda Lechauhanne 57 | >>===>===> |
      3rd Assistant Scoutmaster 2001 Jamboree Troop 5?? (RED)
      North Hills Amateur Radio Club
      JOTA Committee Chair
    • Alan Stumpf
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2002
        CQ SUMMER CAMP CQ SUMMER CAMP CQ SUMMER CAMP DE KB3DHC

        Well believe it or not Boy and Girl Scout summer camps will be opening in
        under 3 months (for those who live in the northern hemisphere I guess). What
        do your local camps have planned in the area of Amateur Radio? Are the
        Scouts interested? What kind of equipment do you use/or plan to use? Any
        problems? Radio Merit Badge (check the requirments they have changed)?
        etc......

        Well now is the time to start planning so share the wealth of information.
        Plus this will get the list active again!

        73

        Alan Stumpf, KB3DHC
        NHARC JOTA Chairman
        Assistant Scoutmaster TR 377
        Greater Pittsburgh Council
      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2002
          While I'm now retired as Fishing and Radio Program Directors from
          Henderson (Crumhorn) Scout Reservation, I expect I'll spend a little
          pre-Camp time helping my Fishing replacement set up. Whilst I'm up
          there, I suspect I'll do a little portable operation (TS-50, 100w
          using hamsticks and/or Camp's CB vertical). Maybe we could set up a
          calling frequency for Scout Camps and Scouters? To my knowledge, this
          has never been done before, not counting JOTA. I might suggest 28.680
          or 24.960. Other frequencies? Times (e.g. Wednesdays at 2300Z)?

          for myself (the only active HF ham on Staff) and a couple
          Scoutmasters who bring in their gear for the week. When I ran the
          Radio Program at the Fishing Program Area, my gear was set up and
          operational right in the middle of the pavilion on a picnic table. It
          drew a LOT of attention from Scouts, Scouters, parents, and Staff,
          even during Sundays when the pavilion was used for health reviews
          during the checkin process.

          I would certainly like to see a Scout Camp to Scout Camp network
          established. With OCARG (see Signature below), we have our own
          callsign (at the moment, KC2IQA) and are expecting our vanity
          callsign any day now, anthrax notwithstanding.

          73 de Fred
          K2FRD

          --
          73, Fred Stevens K2FRD