Re: [ScoutRadio] Briefing for Cub Scouts

  • Iron Roads (KI6ABR)
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
      First, let me second Barry's suggestion.  Beepers and buzzers with keys or paddles hooked to them are a source of neverending fascination for some boys.  Not every one will get into it, but almost every single cub will at least try to send his name.  A few will be happy to spend the whole evening clicking away.

      When Gordon West taught us, the other thing that got the attention of the cub-scout boys (and many of the older boys, and dads) was direction finding.  He had a teeny, tiny transmitter that he passed out into the audience.
      The boys passed it around for a few minutes and hid it in the crowd.  Gordo then picked up a small RDF set and proceeded to determine which aisle of tables it was in.

      "Do it again!" was the resounding call from the boys.

      I don't know the details of what gear he used, but I do know that it was a hit.

      Passed my tech that day.

      -Mark Z, ki6abr

      On 11/6/06, Dave <dadsit@...> wrote:

      I've just been asked to give a briefing to a Cub Scout Pack on Amateur
      Radio. Although I already have one done it primarily focuses on the
      adult/scout leader population. I know I've asked for ideas before and
      the group has been very receptive. Has anyone done something like this
      for Cub Scouts or have any ideas to share that might keep their
      interest? I'm guessing I'll have between 30 mins - 1 hr. I may try to
      set up a couple of stations (VHF, UHF, CW Osicillator, etc). Any
      ideas/input from the group would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Dave Adsit
      KG4BIR
      Stephens City, Virginia

    • kimbare@hicom.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
        I have done it many times and they always had fun...I have a box of all the labled parts...it was an old readio taken apart and labled....I have  my morse code key...I have done game s and prizes with them...I would hand out kids day invites.....and of course show pix of  us at 911 and the red cross and the marathon and parades and I always tell them @ skywarn...then we play and talk on tyhe radio...before I leave I give them coloring pages with my contact in fo on the bottom and home made  chocolate I made in the shapes of a ham radio

        On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 17:51:53 -0000, Dave wrote

        > I've just been
        asked to give a briefing to a Cub Scout Pack on Amateur

        Radio. Although I already have one done it primarily focuses on the

        adult/scout leader population. I know I've asked for ideas before and

        the group has been very receptive. Has anyone done something like this

        for Cub Scouts or have any ideas to share that might keep their

        interest? I'm guessing I'll have between 30 mins - 1 hr. I may try to

        set up a couple of stations (VHF, UHF, CW Osicillator, etc). Any

        ideas/input from the group would be appreciated.

        Thanks,

        Dave Adsit

        KG4BIR

        Stephens City, Virginia

        -->

        --
        Sent from hicom.net (http://www.hicom.net)
        via "OpenWebMail" (http://openwebmail.org)

      • Jim Lien
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2006
          Having done a bunch of these, I agree with everyone's ideas.

          I always had a pre-set sked with someone on 2 meters who had a
          scouting background and we did a QSO with him discussing his history
          with ham radio as well as scouting. Always had a few boys who would
          want to talk to him.

          Jim
          N3LSI