Briefing for Cub Scouts

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
      I've just been asked to give a briefing to a Cub Scout Pack on Amateur
      Radio. Although I already have one done it primarily focuses on the
      adult/scout leader population. I know I've asked for ideas before and
      the group has been very receptive. Has anyone done something like this
      for Cub Scouts or have any ideas to share that might keep their
      interest? I'm guessing I'll have between 30 mins - 1 hr. I may try to
      set up a couple of stations (VHF, UHF, CW Osicillator, etc). Any
      ideas/input from the group would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Dave Adsit
      KG4BIR
      Stephens City, Virginia
    • barry whittemore
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
        at our JOTA, i brought 4 different code keys with Pizeo beeper/mechanical
        buzzer and an old sounder to let the boys get an idea of what morse sounds
        like and used to in the railroad landline days. i had a few sheets of mose
        code around. the younger boys were facinated with it and most tried to send
        there name or something else. one sent di dit di dit di dit and said
        that was a period. when i corrected him he showed me that on my old 40s-50s
        BSA signaler it showed that for period. i was overwelmed by how much
        interest there was in the morse code.
        Barry
        WB1EDI/KB1NH

        >From: "Dave" <dadsit@...>
        >To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [ScoutRadio] Briefing for Cub Scouts
        >Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 17:51:53 -0000
        >
        >I've just been asked to give a briefing to a Cub Scout Pack on Amateur
        >Radio. Although I already have one done it primarily focuses on the
        >adult/scout leader population. I know I've asked for ideas before and
        >the group has been very receptive. Has anyone done something like this
        >for Cub Scouts or have any ideas to share that might keep their
        >interest? I'm guessing I'll have between 30 mins - 1 hr. I may try to
        >set up a couple of stations (VHF, UHF, CW Osicillator, etc). Any
        >ideas/input from the group would be appreciated.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Dave Adsit
        >KG4BIR
        >Stephens City, Virginia
        >

        >Check out the UK Radio-Scouting page here at Yahoo!Groups.
        >
        >Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them subscibe
        >to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth
        >
        >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
        >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with
        Live Search!
        http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmtagline
      • Iron Roads (KI6ABR)
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
          First, let me second Barry's suggestion.  Beepers and buzzers with keys or paddles hooked to them are a source of neverending fascination for some boys.  Not every one will get into it, but almost every single cub will at least try to send his name.  A few will be happy to spend the whole evening clicking away.

          When Gordon West taught us, the other thing that got the attention of the cub-scout boys (and many of the older boys, and dads) was direction finding.  He had a teeny, tiny transmitter that he passed out into the audience.
          The boys passed it around for a few minutes and hid it in the crowd.  Gordo then picked up a small RDF set and proceeded to determine which aisle of tables it was in.

          "Do it again!" was the resounding call from the boys.

          I don't know the details of what gear he used, but I do know that it was a hit.

          Passed my tech that day.

          -Mark Z, ki6abr

        • kimbare@hicom.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
            I have done it many times and they always had fun...I have a box of all the labled parts...it was an old readio taken apart and labled....I have  my morse code key...I have done game s and prizes with them...I would hand out kids day invites.....and of course show pix of  us at 911 and the red cross and the marathon and parades and I always tell them @ skywarn...then we play and talk on tyhe radio...before I leave I give them coloring pages with my contact in fo on the bottom and home made  chocolate I made in the shapes of a ham radio

            On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 17:51:53 -0000, Dave wrote

            > I've just been
            asked to give a briefing to a Cub Scout Pack on Amateur

            Radio. Although I already have one done it primarily focuses on the

            adult/scout leader population. I know I've asked for ideas before and

            the group has been very receptive. Has anyone done something like this

            for Cub Scouts or have any ideas to share that might keep their

            interest? I'm guessing I'll have between 30 mins - 1 hr. I may try to

            set up a couple of stations (VHF, UHF, CW Osicillator, etc). Any

            ideas/input from the group would be appreciated.

            Thanks,

            Dave Adsit

            KG4BIR

            Stephens City, Virginia

            -->

            --
            Sent from hicom.net (http://www.hicom.net)
            via "OpenWebMail" (http://openwebmail.org)

          • Jim Lien
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 2006
              Having done a bunch of these, I agree with everyone's ideas.

              I always had a pre-set sked with someone on 2 meters who had a
              scouting background and we did a QSO with him discussing his history
              with ham radio as well as scouting. Always had a few boys who would
              want to talk to him.

              Jim
              N3LSI