Re: [ScoutRadio] What worked for JOTA

  • Dan Scott
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
      Bill,

      Over the years of doing JOTA, I find that
      participation is directly coupled to camping and a
      camproee type of an environment. Non-camporees have
      had scout attendance between 10 and 40, while
      camporees will get attendance between 150 and 1,100.

      For ease of planning, out camporees have been mostly
      with only the Boy Scouts, although we extend an
      invitation to the Girl Scouts. In the local Girl
      Scout council, there are a few troops that it isn't
      camping, hiking, or climbing they won't do it. So
      these girl scout troops will show up if the news
      trickles down to them.

      We also include activities related to amateur radio
      maybe including items from the emergency preparation
      merit badge, first aid, or activities associated to
      search and rescue (Orienteering, Goecaching, Rock
      Climbing.. etc.)

      Of course we try to focus on the various radio
      stations, provided many modes of operation and
      hands-on activities. What we put together varies from
      year-to-year, but it always ends up being fun for all
      involved.

      73,
      Dan - kb0ppm