Easy idea for camporee event

  • DaleLamm
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2006
      Last Saturday our Crew 73 ran a competitive event at a district
      camporee. We were asked at the last minute, and needed to come up with
      an idea quickly to fit in with the theme of "teamwork". We decided to
      run the "Communications Challenge".

      Rules were simple: Convey a five word group from half of the patrol to
      the other half, without using voice or passing written notes. We
      allowed the use of any means at their disposal. On hand were a set of
      semaphore flags and coding charts, heliograph mirrors, pictorial
      charts of American Sign Language, Morse code with whistles, horns,
      flashlights and of course, two HF rigs set up for the contest. The
      transmitting rig was run down to 0.1 watts, attached to a barely
      usable antenna, and set to a quiet spot on an upper frequency band.

      Eleven patrols were judged. Distance between the sending and receiving
      group was about five or ten meters. Most chose to use American Sign
      Language to convey the five random (Scouting oriented) words. Next
      most popular method was CW on amateur radio. I sent my call at the end
      of each CW transmission, and served as control operator. No patrol
      decided to use semaphore flags.

      Scoring was based solely on the number of correct words received. Some
      patrols did all five in three minutes, some took as long as fifteen
      minutes.

      They all enjoyed the event. A few came back for a second round because
      they thought it was neat. Passed out some amateur radio literature as
      well.

      Hope this gives the group some ideas for possible Scouting
      competitions to use in camporees and Klondikes. A foxhunt is very
      desirable, but we simply did not have time to prepare for that on
      short notice.