Simple Camporee Station

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2006
      I know others have offered radio foxhunting to scouts, but here's an
      variation to try if you only have limited equipment and a lot of
      scouts. With only one foxbox and one Direction Finder, we had a few
      hundred scouts get a taste of Radio Direction Finding at this past
      weekend's district camporee.

      How did we do it? Well, first of all, we were one of the stations
      that patrols had to visit to get points in the competition. As the
      camporee wa about solving a mystery involving a missing aircraft, we
      easily added locating a transmitter to the scenario.

      We hid the foxbox over the hill at a place not normally visited by
      the Scouts and not directly visible from our camporee station. And
      we hung one of the big "When all else fails" banners over it.

      As each Patrol came to our station, we explained the problem to them
      and then had them use the VK3YNG RDF to determine a compass bearing
      to the transmitter. This DF is easy for a group to use as the S
      meter is an audio tone that changes in pitch. The patrol was then
      told to follow the bearing using their own comapas to the site and
      report back what the banner said. Most found it in less than ten
      minutes.

      When they came back, we then signed their patrols score card and
      gave them a flyer explaining how to sign up for a free one day Radio
      Merit Badge class in the winter.

      The advantages of this approach was the minimal equipment and staff
      involved, the reinforcement of a traditional scout skill of using a
      compass and avoiding the difficulty newcomers often have with DF'ing
      very close to the transmitter.

      So consider it as a simple idea for your next camporee to give a lot
      of kids a taste of Amateur Radio.

      73

      Gary Wilson, K2GW
    • Dan Scott
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
        Wow.. thanks for the great idea. I've been trying to
        get fox hunting going but had a hard time with getting
        equipment and this might be just the thing I needed.
        Maybe even tie it to Orienteering as the first leg.

        Thanks!!

        73,
        Dan - kb0ppm

        (http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited)