JOTA 2006 from NJ2BB (Battleship New Jersey)

  • Harry
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2006
      What a great weekend! Fifeteen club members from NJ2BB (Battleship
      NJ ARS) participated in JOTA 2006 by inviting local South Jersey Cub
      Scouts to participate. Over a two day period we hosted a total of 35
      Webelos Cubs who were accompanied by 29 Den Leaders & parents. We
      were also visited by 4 Sea Scouts and 3 of their Leaders as part of
      thier annual Philadelphia "Sea Scout Extravaganza".

      We had stations active on 20 & 17m SSB, 20m PSK, 2m FM and 70cm ATV.
      Each group included from 5 - 9 Scouts and we scheduled about 1.5
      hours for each group. This gave us sufficient time to get each of
      the Scouts on the air in each mode. We find that the younger Scouts
      are very interested in the ATV operation. We have the ability to
      both send and receive TV. This year we had 2 of our club members at
      their home stations manning the ATV and 2m equipment.

      Using an HT while standing on the fantail (aft deck of the ship) we
      also managed one satellite QSO using AO-51. A first for us from the
      ship.

      With the exception of the AO-51 contact, all QSO's were made from the
      radio room using modern ham transceivers and all Navy shipboard
      antennas.

      Looking forward to JOTA 2007!
      Harry - AA2WN
      President BNJARS