What worked for JOTA

  • Bill Ragsdale
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22, 2006
      Yolo District, Woodland, Calif. ran station W6Y out of our local Scout
      Cabin. We had good publicity, good weather and fine participation from hams
      running five stations and a Treasure Hunt. This was our first JOTA. IRLP
      worked particularly well as we had setup skeds and contacts before the
      event. We have had ham radio at our Camporee and a Field Day Scout event.

      We had a very low participation at JOTA. About 10 Scouts and 10 parents
      came in the course of a five hour event at a convenient location. In years
      past we've found first year events have a low participation as units wait
      for a report from their friends and then go the second year. But I have
      come to the conclusion that ham radio and JOTA , at least in this area, are
      a good component in a larger event but not compelling enough to draw its
      own crowd. For next year we plan to shift our Web-O-Ree and/or adult
      leader training weekend to the JOTA weekend and have a joint event.

      Yours in Scouting
      Bill Ragsdale, K6INB
      Yolo District Chair
    • Dan Scott
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
        Bill,

        Over the years of doing JOTA, I find that
        participation is directly coupled to camping and a
        camproee type of an environment. Non-camporees have
        had scout attendance between 10 and 40, while
        camporees will get attendance between 150 and 1,100.

        For ease of planning, out camporees have been mostly
        with only the Boy Scouts, although we extend an
        invitation to the Girl Scouts. In the local Girl
        Scout council, there are a few troops that it isn't
        camping, hiking, or climbing they won't do it. So
        these girl scout troops will show up if the news
        trickles down to them.

        We also include activities related to amateur radio
        maybe including items from the emergency preparation
        merit badge, first aid, or activities associated to
        search and rescue (Orienteering, Goecaching, Rock
        Climbing.. etc.)

        Of course we try to focus on the various radio
        stations, provided many modes of operation and
        hands-on activities. What we put together varies from
        year-to-year, but it always ends up being fun for all
        involved.

        73,
        Dan - kb0ppm