More about operating FM satellites

  • Patrick STODDARD
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2006
      Hi!

      I uploaded a file to the Files section of this group,
      a PDF document with information on how to work FM
      satellites like AO-51, SO-50, and (whenever it resumes
      operation) AO-27, with FM handheld radios. The file
      name is "Down_to_Earth_Satellite_Comms-N1ASA-20051110.pdf",
      written by Richard Hackney N1ASA of Western Kentucky
      University. A good starting point, discussing different
      radios, programming for the satellite frequencies, and
      operating procedures.

      Even though there aren't any special announcements
      regarding the use of other satellites for JOTA, give
      it a try. For the FM satellites, the Saudi Arabian
      SO-50 satellite is one that is not used as much as
      AO-51. Many passes across North America only have a
      couple of users. Give that one a try, in addition
      to AO-51, if you're interested in making JOTA contacts
      via FM satellite.

      Please feel free to directly e-mail me questions about
      satellite operating. I'm not an expert, but will try to
      answer your questions. I've worked FM satellites with
      a variety of radios - some where I hear myself on the
      satellite's downlink as I am transmitting, others that I
      can't do that (like working a normal repeater) with the
      satellite frequencies in a series of memory channels,
      using two different radios (one for transmitting, one for
      receiving), and sometimes one radio where I have to change
      bands manually to go from the receive frequency to the
      transmit frequency and back again.

      Good luck and 73!

      Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
      http://www.wd9ewk.net/