FW: [ScoutRadio] Re: AO-51 available for JOTA 2006

  • Steve Byars
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2006

      Thanks for passing along the info about AO-51.  I’ve been a ham for a number of years and involved with Scouts for about 6 years.  We had our first JOTA last year and it only involved HF (20M) radios.  This year we are including some FM (2m & 70cm) with EchoLink and now I want to do something with AO-51 but I’ve never used any of the satellite communications. Can somebody help me understand what I need to do to add this to our JOTA event?

      The way I understand it from reading the amsat.org site is that AO-51 is a satellite that will have 2 repeaters operational during the JOTA weekend.  We will need to transmit on VHF with the designated frequency, tone, etc. and receive on the UHF designate frequency.  Is it that simple?  How do you know when it is within range to operate?  How long will it stay in range?  This is all really interesting and I’d like to set up a couple of radios on the designated frequencies and maybe printout something showing how we will be communicating through the use of a satellite.

      Thanks for passing along this information and I look forward to your response(s),

      Steve Byars, KE4KZG

      Cubmaster P418

      Gaffney, SC

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2006
        On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Steve Byars wrote:

        > How do you know when it is within range to operate? How long will it
        > stay in range?

        Go to the same website that Patrick posted:
        http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/echo/ControlTeam.php

        At the top is a tab called "Passes". You can enter your latitude and
        longitude or your 6-character grid square and get the next N number of
        passes calculated for your location. N is 10 by default. They seem to
        come in groups of 3 or 4, about an hour and a half apart, a couple times a
        day, for any given location.

        Another cool thing you can do is see a live plot of where the satellite is
        right now. It updates every couple seconds.

        YiS,
        Frank Maynard, NF8M
        MC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54; District Cub Training Chair & Roundtable Staff
        ...and a good old Bobwhite too! (C-23-04)
        Mighty Ottawa District, Clinton Valley Council
        Novi, Michigan
      • Frank Krizan
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2006

          Steve,

          Excellent tutorial at:  http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/echo/EchoHT.php

             ... from a collection of papers for beginners http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/information/faqs/index.php

          An easy place to get started on when the AO-51 is overhead, is http://www.heavens-above.com/

          AMSAT sells some excellent software for predictions and there are some “freeware” programs available.  See www.ac6v.com as a resource.

          AO-51 Operating Schedule at http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/echo/ControlTeam.php

          Typical pass time for overhead pass is in the order of 10 minutes.

          Since the AO-51 will be switched on for QRP operation before JOTA, I recommend you practice working someone on the bird.  The AO-51 will primarily be for demonstration purposes, not casual JOTA contacts with scouts ... I suppose that could happen, but, with limited visibility, contacts will be best made by skilled operators and not 3rd parties.  Explain to scouts what’s happening, and let them listen in.  If you’re using one of the AMSAT software packages, you can have a display of the satellite footprint on display to let them know when the satellite comes in range.

          Do the best you can for this JOTA and, then, keep practicing for future demos.  Pretty soon, you’ll feel very comfortable with the AO-51 and some of the other LEOs.

          73, Frank KR1ZAN

          President, K2BSA Amateur Radio Association

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 14, 2006

            Thanks for the reply and all the links.  I’ve been reading a lot and with the Doppler shift (I didn’t even think about that) and all I think I’m going to set up a station just to receive this year.  The schedule shows the AO-51 will be set up for JOTA starting Monday so I’m planning to try it out and see how well I do.  Hopefully I will be able to receive it OK.  I’m also considering set up a PC with tracking software.  I’ve been reading up on several of the PC tracking packages but I’m not sure which one to get.  I would like to get one that is very graphical and I don’t mind spending some money to purchase.  Any idea’s on which one to focus on?  Looks link InstaTrack is real popular but I’ve also looked at the NOVA product.  Looks like to NOVA is more graphical.

            Thanks for the help,

            Steve

            KE4KZG