Re: AO-51 available for JOTA 2006

  • wd9ewk
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
      Hi!

      > I'm not sure, but I've never seen an AO reoriented like
      > this before for a single user group.

      AO-51 has been operated differently than many other amateur
      satellites in the past, since it can be set up for many
      different configurations. Sometimes, two different
      configurations can be operated at the same time (i.e.,
      2m/70cm FM repeater with 2m/70cm 9600bps digital, or
      2m/70cm FM repeater with 23cm/70cm FM repeater). The AO-51
      configuration for next week, with 2 FM repeaters, has been
      used a few times in the recent past including for the ARRL
      Field Day in late June.

      I am a member of AMSAT's AO-51 Operations Group, which makes
      the monthly schedules for this satellite:

      http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/echo/ControlTeam.php

      and we receive e-mails from radio amateurs around the world
      at our ao51-modes @ amsat.org (remove spaces around the @
      sign) e-mail address. Some request a configuration for an
      event like JOTA, Field Day, or a local hamfest. Others want
      to try something out at their station and would like one of
      the less-common configurations turned on.

      If you are set up to work these satellites, give it a try
      and post your results. Also, if you could e-mail the
      ao51-modes address with the same information, we would
      appreciate it. We use these sorts of comments to know if a
      particular configuration is popular, meriting its use in the
      future. If you'd like to discuss details on setting up for
      working this satellite (and others), please e-mail me directly
      and we can take care of that. Many 2m/70cm handheld and mobile
      radios are able to be used with the FM satellites.

      Good luck, and 73!

      Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK - Phoenix AZ
      http://www.wd9ewk.net/

      (with 2 Scouts at home, hoping to be active during JOTA)
    • Tom Fagan
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
        I will do so. See you on the air.

        Tom