RE: [ScoutRadio] AO-51 available for JOTA 2006

  • Frank Krizan
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006

      Hi Jon,

      It is great news and hopefully there’ll be many satellite regulars who will listen and help scout stations during JOTA.

      AO-51 was setup for QRP operation last JOTA and in some recent years, the ISS did a lot of operation to talk with scouts during JOTA.

      73, Frank KR1ZAN

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
        We will be having our Spanish trails district camporee
        this weekend starting at 00:00 Zulu tomorrow in Tucson
        Arizona at the Double V campground.

        We will be on the air from 14.200 to 14.220 MHz. I
        believe the callsign will be N7GV but there might be
        others. We will be calling CQ camporee.

        I know this is not the JOTA weekend by we could use
        your help in giving us contacts for the boys.

        Thanks
        Tom Fagan WB7NXH
        ARRL Section Manager Arizona
        Tucson Arizona
        Spanish Trails District Catalina Council
        Camporee committee member
        Assistant District Commissioner

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • dadsit@adelphia.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
          Any chance of moving up above 14.225? That's where the General class
          privileges start and may increase the amount of contacts you get. You could
          even go on/near the 14.290 which is the designated WOSM/International Scout
          frequency on 20 meters.

          Dave Adsit
          KG4BIR
          Stephens City, VA

          We will be having our Spanish trails district camporee
          this weekend starting at 00:00 Zulu tomorrow in Tucson
          Arizona at the Double V campground.

          We will be on the air from 14.200 to 14.220 MHz. I
          believe the callsign will be N7GV but there might be
          others. We will be calling CQ camporee.

          I know this is not the JOTA weekend by we could use
          your help in giving us contacts for the boys.

          Thanks
          Tom Fagan WB7NXH
          ARRL Section Manager Arizona
          Tucson Arizona
          Spanish Trails District Catalina Council
          Camporee committee member
          Assistant District Commissioner

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • wd9ewk
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
            Hi!

            > I'm not sure, but I've never seen an AO reoriented like
            > this before for a single user group.

            AO-51 has been operated differently than many other amateur
            satellites in the past, since it can be set up for many
            different configurations. Sometimes, two different
            configurations can be operated at the same time (i.e.,
            2m/70cm FM repeater with 2m/70cm 9600bps digital, or
            2m/70cm FM repeater with 23cm/70cm FM repeater). The AO-51
            configuration for next week, with 2 FM repeaters, has been
            used a few times in the recent past including for the ARRL
            Field Day in late June.

            I am a member of AMSAT's AO-51 Operations Group, which makes
            the monthly schedules for this satellite:

            http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/echo/ControlTeam.php

            and we receive e-mails from radio amateurs around the world
            at our ao51-modes @ amsat.org (remove spaces around the @
            sign) e-mail address. Some request a configuration for an
            event like JOTA, Field Day, or a local hamfest. Others want
            to try something out at their station and would like one of
            the less-common configurations turned on.

            If you are set up to work these satellites, give it a try
            and post your results. Also, if you could e-mail the
            ao51-modes address with the same information, we would
            appreciate it. We use these sorts of comments to know if a
            particular configuration is popular, meriting its use in the
            future. If you'd like to discuss details on setting up for
            working this satellite (and others), please e-mail me directly
            and we can take care of that. Many 2m/70cm handheld and mobile
            radios are able to be used with the FM satellites.

            Good luck, and 73!

            Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK - Phoenix AZ
            http://www.wd9ewk.net/

            (with 2 Scouts at home, hoping to be active during JOTA)
          • Tom Fagan
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
              I will do so. See you on the air.

              Tom