AO-51 available for JOTA 2006

  • Frank Krizan
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006

      Hi everyone,

      Here’s some info from the AO-51 Satellite Team (as found on http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/echo/ControlTeam.php).

      73, Frank KR1ZAN

      Jamboree on the Air (JOTA) weekend 21 and 22 October on AO-51

      Starting Monday October 16th AO-51 will run dual FM repeaters to
      make it possible for JOTA stations to make contacts on the 435.150 QRP
      repeater during the JOTA weekend.

      October 16 to October 23
      FM Repeater, V/U
      Uplink: 145.920 MHz FM, 67 Hz PL Tone
      Downlink: 435.300 MHz FM
      FM Repeater, V/U QRP/JOTA users only!
      Uplink: 145.880 MHz, No PL Tone
      Downlink: 435.150 MHz FM
      The JOTA weekend is October 21st and October 22nd .

      The AO-51 Operations Group strongly supports the JOTA activities
      and we ask that all users of the QRP repeater yield to JOTA stations
      during the weekend. Normal QRP operation is encouraged during the week.
      (QRP users are 10 watts or less, handheld or omni directional antennas ONLY)

      73 from the AO-51 Operations Group

    • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
        That's some great news, Frank.

        I'm not sure, but I've never seen an AO reoriented like this before for a single user group.

        It does a heart good to see how Scouting can be revered in the world of Amateur Radio!

        Fraternally,

        Jon Pearl - W4ABC
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006

          Hi Jon,

          It is great news and hopefully there’ll be many satellite regulars who will listen and help scout stations during JOTA.

          AO-51 was setup for QRP operation last JOTA and in some recent years, the ISS did a lot of operation to talk with scouts during JOTA.

          73, Frank KR1ZAN

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
            We will be having our Spanish trails district camporee
            this weekend starting at 00:00 Zulu tomorrow in Tucson
            Arizona at the Double V campground.

            We will be on the air from 14.200 to 14.220 MHz. I
            believe the callsign will be N7GV but there might be
            others. We will be calling CQ camporee.

            I know this is not the JOTA weekend by we could use
            your help in giving us contacts for the boys.

            Thanks
            Tom Fagan WB7NXH
            ARRL Section Manager Arizona
            Tucson Arizona
            Spanish Trails District Catalina Council
            Camporee committee member
            Assistant District Commissioner

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • dadsit@adelphia.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
              Any chance of moving up above 14.225? That's where the General class
              privileges start and may increase the amount of contacts you get. You could
              even go on/near the 14.290 which is the designated WOSM/International Scout
              frequency on 20 meters.

              Dave Adsit
              KG4BIR
              Stephens City, VA

              We will be having our Spanish trails district camporee
              this weekend starting at 00:00 Zulu tomorrow in Tucson
              Arizona at the Double V campground.

              We will be on the air from 14.200 to 14.220 MHz. I
              believe the callsign will be N7GV but there might be
              others. We will be calling CQ camporee.

              I know this is not the JOTA weekend by we could use
              your help in giving us contacts for the boys.

              Thanks
              Tom Fagan WB7NXH
              ARRL Section Manager Arizona
              Tucson Arizona
              Spanish Trails District Catalina Council
              Camporee committee member
              Assistant District Commissioner

              http://mail.yahoo.com

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • wd9ewk
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
                Hi!

                > I'm not sure, but I've never seen an AO reoriented like
                > this before for a single user group.

                AO-51 has been operated differently than many other amateur
                satellites in the past, since it can be set up for many
                different configurations. Sometimes, two different
                configurations can be operated at the same time (i.e.,
                2m/70cm FM repeater with 2m/70cm 9600bps digital, or
                2m/70cm FM repeater with 23cm/70cm FM repeater). The AO-51
                configuration for next week, with 2 FM repeaters, has been
                used a few times in the recent past including for the ARRL
                Field Day in late June.

                I am a member of AMSAT's AO-51 Operations Group, which makes
                the monthly schedules for this satellite:

                http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/echo/ControlTeam.php

                and we receive e-mails from radio amateurs around the world
                at our ao51-modes @ amsat.org (remove spaces around the @
                sign) e-mail address. Some request a configuration for an
                event like JOTA, Field Day, or a local hamfest. Others want
                to try something out at their station and would like one of
                the less-common configurations turned on.

                If you are set up to work these satellites, give it a try
                and post your results. Also, if you could e-mail the
                ao51-modes address with the same information, we would
                appreciate it. We use these sorts of comments to know if a
                particular configuration is popular, meriting its use in the
                future. If you'd like to discuss details on setting up for
                working this satellite (and others), please e-mail me directly
                and we can take care of that. Many 2m/70cm handheld and mobile
                radios are able to be used with the FM satellites.

                Good luck, and 73!

                Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK - Phoenix AZ
                http://www.wd9ewk.net/

                (with 2 Scouts at home, hoping to be active during JOTA)
              • Tom Fagan
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
                  I will do so. See you on the air.

                  Tom