Re: [ScoutRadio] JOTA campout ideas - request from a new member

  • Rae Schwartz
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
      Thank you, Malcolm - these are wonderful resources!

      You have all sent excellent ideas and resources. I
      can't thank you enough! We will use some of the
      simpler ones for this event, and work on the others
      for next year -just in time for the 50th anniversary!

      Our council is in the panhandle of northwest Florida.
      We had done JOTA at our council camp as part of Fall
      Camporees, but have not done one for several years.
      This event will be on the property of one of the radio
      club members, as it is quite large and also has some
      of their permanent equipment. They had not done a
      JOTA event themselves, so this is a learning
      experience for all of us!
      We have been fortunate in having an easy hurricane
      season this year, but have in the recent past
      experienced Ivan, Dennis, and Opal. Our scouts will
      be surprised to learn that amateur radio operators are
      in every shelter here, in case of emergencies. Our
      chief sponsor, Cal Zethmayr of WAAZ-WJSB, got his
      start in radio as a scout - we'll see if history
      repeats!
      Thank you all again, and hope our scouts get to thank
      some of you in person during JOTA!
      YIS,
      Rae

      http://www.radio-scouting.org.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=6