Re: [ScoutRadio] JOTA campout ideas - request from a new member

  • Rae Schwartz
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
      That's a good idea - thank you!
      Rae

      --- Adsit <dadsit@...> wrote:

      > How about something disaster related? Perhaps your
      > local EOC, Red Cross, or other group has a disaster
      > communications vehicle they could show/demonstrate
      > with.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Malcolm - G4CXT
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006

        Rae

        Take a look at the ideas here too:

        http://www.radio-scouting.org.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=6

        http://www.radio-scouting.org.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=16&MMN_position=24:24

        Good Luck

        Malcolm - G4CXT

          I hope this isn't too off-topic. Our local amateur
        radio club is
          hosting its first JOTA campout. We have boy scouts
        camping as well as
          some cub scouts coming out for the day. I have
        looked through the
          group files and googled as well, with not much
        success. Could any of
          you share with me related activities you have used
        at an event like
          this, or point me to some useful websites? I am
        looking for games and
          other activities with a communications or
        international slant. We
          need to be prepared for poor reception/bad
        weather, just in case.
          Thank you so much! And feel free to reply offlist.
          Rae Schwartz
          Unit Commissioner
          Gulf Coast Council, Choctaw District

        Release Date: 10/4/2006

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Malcolm - G4CXT

      • Rae Schwartz
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
          Thank you, Malcolm - these are wonderful resources!

          You have all sent excellent ideas and resources. I
          can't thank you enough! We will use some of the
          simpler ones for this event, and work on the others
          for next year -just in time for the 50th anniversary!

          Our council is in the panhandle of northwest Florida.
          We had done JOTA at our council camp as part of Fall
          Camporees, but have not done one for several years.
          This event will be on the property of one of the radio
          club members, as it is quite large and also has some
          of their permanent equipment. They had not done a
          JOTA event themselves, so this is a learning
          experience for all of us!
          We have been fortunate in having an easy hurricane
          season this year, but have in the recent past
          experienced Ivan, Dennis, and Opal. Our scouts will
          be surprised to learn that amateur radio operators are
          in every shelter here, in case of emergencies. Our
          chief sponsor, Cal Zethmayr of WAAZ-WJSB, got his
          start in radio as a scout - we'll see if history
          repeats!
          Thank you all again, and hope our scouts get to thank
          some of you in person during JOTA!
          YIS,
          Rae

          http://mail.yahoo.com