Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: JOTA campout ideas - request from a new member

  • Rae Schwartz
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
      Dear Pete,
      Thank you so much for the link! I have printed out
      the games, and also the JOTA circular, which has a lot
      of useful information for our guys. I appreciate
      this, and hope we get to speak with you on the JOTA
      weekend!
      Rae

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
        That's a good idea - thank you!
        Rae

        --- Adsit <dadsit@...> wrote:

        > How about something disaster related? Perhaps your
        > local EOC, Red Cross, or other group has a disaster
        > communications vehicle they could show/demonstrate
        > with.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Malcolm - G4CXT
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006

          Rae

          Take a look at the ideas here too:

          http://www.radio-scouting.org.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=6

          http://www.radio-scouting.org.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=16&MMN_position=24:24

          Good Luck

          Malcolm - G4CXT

            I hope this isn't too off-topic. Our local amateur
          radio club is
            hosting its first JOTA campout. We have boy scouts
          camping as well as
            some cub scouts coming out for the day. I have
          looked through the
            group files and googled as well, with not much
          success. Could any of
            you share with me related activities you have used
          at an event like
            this, or point me to some useful websites? I am
          looking for games and
            other activities with a communications or
          international slant. We
            need to be prepared for poor reception/bad
          weather, just in case.
            Thank you so much! And feel free to reply offlist.
            Rae Schwartz
            Unit Commissioner
            Gulf Coast Council, Choctaw District

          Release Date: 10/4/2006

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Malcolm - G4CXT

        • Rae Schwartz
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
            Thank you, Malcolm - these are wonderful resources!

            You have all sent excellent ideas and resources. I
            can't thank you enough! We will use some of the
            simpler ones for this event, and work on the others
            for next year -just in time for the 50th anniversary!

            Our council is in the panhandle of northwest Florida.
            We had done JOTA at our council camp as part of Fall
            Camporees, but have not done one for several years.
            This event will be on the property of one of the radio
            club members, as it is quite large and also has some
            of their permanent equipment. They had not done a
            JOTA event themselves, so this is a learning
            experience for all of us!
            We have been fortunate in having an easy hurricane
            season this year, but have in the recent past
            experienced Ivan, Dennis, and Opal. Our scouts will
            be surprised to learn that amateur radio operators are
            in every shelter here, in case of emergencies. Our
            chief sponsor, Cal Zethmayr of WAAZ-WJSB, got his
            start in radio as a scout - we'll see if history
            repeats!
            Thank you all again, and hope our scouts get to thank
            some of you in person during JOTA!
            YIS,
            Rae

            http://mail.yahoo.com