RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: JOTA campout ideas - request from a new member

  • Rae Schwartz
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
      Thank you, Wayne - I appreciate this!
      Rae

      --- Wayne Hatfield <kd5jjp@...> wrote:

      > Ray,
      >
      > We are having a fox hunt for the scouts to try, Also
      > don't forget to have
      > the JOTA Cards to hand out from the National BSA
      > Office as well as any other
      > literature on ham radio. Check with the ARRL, they
      > have all sorts.
      >
      > Wayne Hatfield kd5jjp
      > Norwela Council
      > Shreveport, La
      >
      > From: "g0wxj" <pete@...>
      > To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: JOTA campout ideas -
      > request from a new member
      > Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 21:55:19 -0000
      >
      > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Rae Schwartz"
      > <bakerny@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >I hope this isn't too off-topic. Our local amateur
      > radio club is hosting
      > >its first JOTA campout. We have boy scouts camping
      > as well as some cub
      > >scouts coming out for the day. I have looked
      > through the group files and
      > >googled as well, with not much success. Could any
      > of you share with me
      > >related activities you have used at an event like
      > this, or point me to some
      > >useful websites? I am looking for games and other
      > activities with a
      > >communications or international slant. We need to
      > be prepared for poor
      > >reception/bad weather, just in case. Thank you so
      > much! And feel free to
      > >reply offlist.
      > >Rae Schwartz
      > >Unit Commissioner
      > >Gulf Coast Council, Choctaw District
      > >

      > Hi Rae,
      >
      > If it is of any use to you, have a look at a couple
      > of games on our
      > website http://www.wraa.co.uk click on the JOTA
      > link.
      > If you want the original documents so you can edit
      > them, just let me know.
      >
      > Pete G0WXJ

      > Add fun gadgets and colorful themes to express
      > yourself on Windows Live
      > Spaces

      http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.get.live.com/spaces/features

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Rae Schwartz
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
        Dear Pete,
        Thank you so much for the link! I have printed out
        the games, and also the JOTA circular, which has a lot
        of useful information for our guys. I appreciate
        this, and hope we get to speak with you on the JOTA
        weekend!
        Rae

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
          That's a good idea - thank you!
          Rae

          --- Adsit <dadsit@...> wrote:

          > How about something disaster related? Perhaps your
          > local EOC, Red Cross, or other group has a disaster
          > communications vehicle they could show/demonstrate
          > with.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Malcolm - G4CXT
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006

            Rae

            Take a look at the ideas here too:

            http://www.radio-scouting.org.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=6

            http://www.radio-scouting.org.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=16&MMN_position=24:24

            Good Luck

            Malcolm - G4CXT

              I hope this isn't too off-topic. Our local amateur
            radio club is
              hosting its first JOTA campout. We have boy scouts
            camping as well as
              some cub scouts coming out for the day. I have
            looked through the
              group files and googled as well, with not much
            success. Could any of
              you share with me related activities you have used
            at an event like
              this, or point me to some useful websites? I am
            looking for games and
              other activities with a communications or
            international slant. We
              need to be prepared for poor reception/bad
            weather, just in case.
              Thank you so much! And feel free to reply offlist.
              Rae Schwartz
              Unit Commissioner
              Gulf Coast Council, Choctaw District

            Release Date: 10/4/2006

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Malcolm - G4CXT

          • Rae Schwartz
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
              Thank you, Malcolm - these are wonderful resources!

              You have all sent excellent ideas and resources. I
              can't thank you enough! We will use some of the
              simpler ones for this event, and work on the others
              for next year -just in time for the 50th anniversary!

              Our council is in the panhandle of northwest Florida.
              We had done JOTA at our council camp as part of Fall
              Camporees, but have not done one for several years.
              This event will be on the property of one of the radio
              club members, as it is quite large and also has some
              of their permanent equipment. They had not done a
              JOTA event themselves, so this is a learning
              experience for all of us!
              We have been fortunate in having an easy hurricane
              season this year, but have in the recent past
              experienced Ivan, Dennis, and Opal. Our scouts will
              be surprised to learn that amateur radio operators are
              in every shelter here, in case of emergencies. Our
              chief sponsor, Cal Zethmayr of WAAZ-WJSB, got his
              start in radio as a scout - we'll see if history
              repeats!
              Thank you all again, and hope our scouts get to thank
              some of you in person during JOTA!
              YIS,
              Rae

              http://mail.yahoo.com