Re: [ScoutRadio] JOTA campout ideas - request from a new member

  • Dale Lamm
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
      Rae,

      Visit ARRL's helpful pages at http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/jota.html

      There are some good ideas at the bottom of the page.

      Contact Allen Pitts at ARRL. Request 50-100 of the "Hello Radio" brochures.
      Great handouts to explain the hobby to folks who may associate a JOTA
      station with a fancy "CB" operation!

      Everybody will approach JOTA differently. Our Crew 73 will set up early on
      10/21 at Camp McKinley in eastern Ohio. Two council districts will be there
      for a combined fall camporee with a middle ages theme (knights, kings,
      queens, etc). We try not to interfere with whatever program activities the
      organizers have planned. Instead, we are there merely as an interesting
      place to visit for Scouts and scouters.

      If a boy is interested in radio, he will self-select himself and hang
      around. We show the hobby's fun side, and talk about the public service
      aspects. We work other stations. The air will be filled with Scouts that
      weekend, and hams who are Scout-friendly.

      We have never been asked to set up a competitive activity at a camporee, but
      if we were, I'd consider something like this:

      1. Run a fox hunt disguised as an SAR mission. Put the fox in an old RC
      aircraft or toy glider, then hang it in a tree above their heads, or hidden
      in a hollow log, etc. Team that finds the "downed aircraft" in shortest time
      wins. Someone else said fox hunt, this is a good activity for outdoors.

      2. Message delivery contest. Without using voice, send a 50-100 character
      message from one group to another. They can use semaphore flags, mirrors,
      whistles, drums, FRS radios with beep call tones or Morse capability, smoke
      signals, a note tied to a rock (careful!), carrier pigeon, whatever. The
      team delivering the most correct letters in the least amount of time is the
      winner.

      3. Most QSO's contest. I have done this one at a winter troop campout in a
      cabin, and it brings out the competitive nature. Everybody signs up for a 30
      minute slot. When their turn comes, they call "CQ" or "CQ contest" and log
      the responses. Scoring: regular QSO = 1 point; QSO with current or former
      Scout = 1 point bonus; QSO west of the Mississippi = 1 point bonus; outside
      the 48 states = 2 point bonus (watch 3rd party rules!). Make them tune
      around the band, change bands and log the QSO. You are there to teach and
      keep it legal.

      Best of luck. Don't forget to post an anticipated sked here so we can be
      listening for your call.

      73 & YIS,
      Dale

      > group files and googled as well, with not much success. Could any of
      > you share with me related activities you have used at an event like
      > this, or point me to some useful websites? I am looking for games and
      > other activities with a communications or international slant. We
      > need to be prepared for poor reception/bad weather, just in case.
    • Rae Schwartz
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
        Great ideas, James - thank you!
        Rae

        --- James Olson <sx88ht20@...> wrote:

        > Here are some JOTA activities that you might try:
        >
        > -Intro to Radio Merit Badge, including completing
        > a number of the requirements. This will give the
        > boys a toe-hold on the subject, and an advancement
        > opportunity.
        > -Morse code introduction: You could set up a
        > couple of code practice oscillators, and make a game
        > out of message sending. Not that each boy could
        > copy the sent code, but the boys could get practice
        > sending code. You could also have each boy make a
        > morse code chart for their own emergency use. Each
        > Scout in our Troop has a small portable survival kit
        > that they take on their outings. Inside each kit is
        > a variety of survival supplies, and a small card
        > with morse code on it.
        > -Tie in the Citizenship in the World merit badge:
        > JOTA is an international Scouting event. If you are
        > observing the event, then your Scouts could complete
        > that requirement (#9b).
        > -For the Cubs, teach the Communicator belt loop.
        > It's an easy tie in, but will require you to bring
        > some additonal items (such as paper & pencil to
        > write a letter). It is a fun belt loop to teach.
        > - Bring a pair of tin cans tied together with yarn
        > and play a message game (remember the game
        > "Telephone"?).
        >
        > Have fun, and we'll look for you on the air,
        >
        > James, W4JO
        > International Committee
        > Atlanta Area Council

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Rae Schwartz
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
          Thank you, Wayne - I appreciate this!
          Rae

          --- Wayne Hatfield <kd5jjp@...> wrote:

          > Ray,
          >
          > We are having a fox hunt for the scouts to try, Also
          > don't forget to have
          > the JOTA Cards to hand out from the National BSA
          > Office as well as any other
          > literature on ham radio. Check with the ARRL, they
          > have all sorts.
          >
          > Wayne Hatfield kd5jjp
          > Norwela Council
          > Shreveport, La
          >
          > From: "g0wxj" <pete@...>
          > To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: JOTA campout ideas -
          > request from a new member
          > Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 21:55:19 -0000
          >
          > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Rae Schwartz"
          > <bakerny@...> wrote:
          > >
          > >I hope this isn't too off-topic. Our local amateur
          > radio club is hosting
          > >its first JOTA campout. We have boy scouts camping
          > as well as some cub
          > >scouts coming out for the day. I have looked
          > through the group files and
          > >googled as well, with not much success. Could any
          > of you share with me
          > >related activities you have used at an event like
          > this, or point me to some
          > >useful websites? I am looking for games and other
          > activities with a
          > >communications or international slant. We need to
          > be prepared for poor
          > >reception/bad weather, just in case. Thank you so
          > much! And feel free to
          > >reply offlist.
          > >Rae Schwartz
          > >Unit Commissioner
          > >Gulf Coast Council, Choctaw District
          > >

          > Hi Rae,
          >
          > If it is of any use to you, have a look at a couple
          > of games on our
          > website http://www.wraa.co.uk click on the JOTA
          > link.
          > If you want the original documents so you can edit
          > them, just let me know.
          >
          > Pete G0WXJ

          > Add fun gadgets and colorful themes to express
          > yourself on Windows Live
          > Spaces

          http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.get.live.com/spaces/features

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Rae Schwartz
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
            Dear Pete,
            Thank you so much for the link! I have printed out
            the games, and also the JOTA circular, which has a lot
            of useful information for our guys. I appreciate
            this, and hope we get to speak with you on the JOTA
            weekend!
            Rae

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
              That's a good idea - thank you!
              Rae

              --- Adsit <dadsit@...> wrote:

              > How about something disaster related? Perhaps your
              > local EOC, Red Cross, or other group has a disaster
              > communications vehicle they could show/demonstrate
              > with.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Malcolm - G4CXT
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006

                Rae

                Take a look at the ideas here too:

                http://www.radio-scouting.org.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=6

                http://www.radio-scouting.org.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=16&MMN_position=24:24

                Good Luck

                Malcolm - G4CXT

                  I hope this isn't too off-topic. Our local amateur
                radio club is
                  hosting its first JOTA campout. We have boy scouts
                camping as well as
                  some cub scouts coming out for the day. I have
                looked through the
                  group files and googled as well, with not much
                success. Could any of
                  you share with me related activities you have used
                at an event like
                  this, or point me to some useful websites? I am
                looking for games and
                  other activities with a communications or
                international slant. We
                  need to be prepared for poor reception/bad
                weather, just in case.
                  Thank you so much! And feel free to reply offlist.
                  Rae Schwartz
                  Unit Commissioner
                  Gulf Coast Council, Choctaw District

                Release Date: 10/4/2006

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    mailto:ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mailto:ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Malcolm - G4CXT

              • Rae Schwartz
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                  Thank you, Malcolm - these are wonderful resources!

                  You have all sent excellent ideas and resources. I
                  can't thank you enough! We will use some of the
                  simpler ones for this event, and work on the others
                  for next year -just in time for the 50th anniversary!

                  Our council is in the panhandle of northwest Florida.
                  We had done JOTA at our council camp as part of Fall
                  Camporees, but have not done one for several years.
                  This event will be on the property of one of the radio
                  club members, as it is quite large and also has some
                  of their permanent equipment. They had not done a
                  JOTA event themselves, so this is a learning
                  experience for all of us!
                  We have been fortunate in having an easy hurricane
                  season this year, but have in the recent past
                  experienced Ivan, Dennis, and Opal. Our scouts will
                  be surprised to learn that amateur radio operators are
                  in every shelter here, in case of emergencies. Our
                  chief sponsor, Cal Zethmayr of WAAZ-WJSB, got his
                  start in radio as a scout - we'll see if history
                  repeats!
                  Thank you all again, and hope our scouts get to thank
                  some of you in person during JOTA!
                  YIS,
                  Rae

                  http://mail.yahoo.com