Re: JOTA campout ideas - request from a new member

  • g0wxj
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Rae Schwartz" <bakerny@...> wrote:

      > I hope this isn't too off-topic. Our local amateur radio club is
      > hosting its first JOTA campout. We have boy scouts camping as well as
      > some cub scouts coming out for the day. I have looked through the
      > group files and googled as well, with not much success. Could any of
      > you share with me related activities you have used at an event like
      > this, or point me to some useful websites? I am looking for games and
      > other activities with a communications or international slant. We
      > need to be prepared for poor reception/bad weather, just in case.
      > Thank you so much! And feel free to reply offlist.
      > Rae Schwartz
      > Unit Commissioner
      > Gulf Coast Council, Choctaw District

      Hi Rae,

      If it is of any use to you, have a look at a couple of games on our
      website http://www.wraa.co.uk click on the JOTA link.
      If you want the original documents so you can edit them, just let me know.

      Pete G0WXJ
    • Wayne Hatfield
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
        Ray,

        We are having a fox hunt for the scouts to try, Also don't forget to have
        the JOTA Cards to hand out from the National BSA Office as well as any other
        literature on ham radio. Check with the ARRL, they have all sorts.

        Wayne Hatfield kd5jjp
        Norwela Council
        Shreveport, La

        From: "g0wxj" <pete@...>
        To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: JOTA campout ideas - request from a new member
        Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 21:55:19 -0000

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Rae Schwartz" <bakerny@...> wrote:

        >I hope this isn't too off-topic. Our local amateur radio club is hosting
        >its first JOTA campout. We have boy scouts camping as well as some cub
        >scouts coming out for the day. I have looked through the group files and
        >googled as well, with not much success. Could any of you share with me
        >related activities you have used at an event like this, or point me to some
        >useful websites? I am looking for games and other activities with a
        >communications or international slant. We need to be prepared for poor
        >reception/bad weather, just in case. Thank you so much! And feel free to
        >reply offlist.
        >Rae Schwartz
        >Unit Commissioner
        >Gulf Coast Council, Choctaw District

        Hi Rae,

        If it is of any use to you, have a look at a couple of games on our
        website http://www.wraa.co.uk click on the JOTA link.
        If you want the original documents so you can edit them, just let me know.

        Pete G0WXJ

        Add fun gadgets and colorful themes to express yourself on Windows Live
        Spaces
        http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.get.live.com/spaces/features
      • James Olson
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
          Here are some JOTA activities that you might try:

          -Intro to Radio Merit Badge, including completing a number of the requirements.  This will give the boys a toe-hold on the subject, and an advancement opportunity.
          -Morse code introduction:  You could set up a couple of code practice oscillators, and make a game out of message sending.  Not that each boy could copy the sent code, but the boys could get practice sending code.  You could also have each boy make a morse code chart for their own emergency use.  Each Scout in our Troop has a small portable survival kit that they take on their outings.  Inside each kit is a variety of survival supplies, and a small card with morse code on it.
          -Tie in the Citizenship in the World merit badge:  JOTA is an international Scouting event.  If you are observing the event, then your Scouts could complete that requirement (#9b).
          -For the Cubs, teach the Communicator belt loop.  It's an easy tie in, but will require you to bring some additonal items (such as paper & pencil to write a letter).  It is a fun belt loop to teach.
          - Bring a pair of tin cans tied together with yarn and play a message game (remember the game "Telephone"?).

          Have fun, and we'll look for you on the air,

          James, W4JO
          International Committee
          Atlanta Area Council
        • Dale Lamm
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
            Rae,

            Visit ARRL's helpful pages at http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/jota.html

            There are some good ideas at the bottom of the page.

            Contact Allen Pitts at ARRL. Request 50-100 of the "Hello Radio" brochures.
            Great handouts to explain the hobby to folks who may associate a JOTA
            station with a fancy "CB" operation!

            Everybody will approach JOTA differently. Our Crew 73 will set up early on
            10/21 at Camp McKinley in eastern Ohio. Two council districts will be there
            for a combined fall camporee with a middle ages theme (knights, kings,
            queens, etc). We try not to interfere with whatever program activities the
            organizers have planned. Instead, we are there merely as an interesting
            place to visit for Scouts and scouters.

            If a boy is interested in radio, he will self-select himself and hang
            around. We show the hobby's fun side, and talk about the public service
            aspects. We work other stations. The air will be filled with Scouts that
            weekend, and hams who are Scout-friendly.

            We have never been asked to set up a competitive activity at a camporee, but
            if we were, I'd consider something like this:

            1. Run a fox hunt disguised as an SAR mission. Put the fox in an old RC
            aircraft or toy glider, then hang it in a tree above their heads, or hidden
            in a hollow log, etc. Team that finds the "downed aircraft" in shortest time
            wins. Someone else said fox hunt, this is a good activity for outdoors.

            2. Message delivery contest. Without using voice, send a 50-100 character
            message from one group to another. They can use semaphore flags, mirrors,
            whistles, drums, FRS radios with beep call tones or Morse capability, smoke
            signals, a note tied to a rock (careful!), carrier pigeon, whatever. The
            team delivering the most correct letters in the least amount of time is the
            winner.

            3. Most QSO's contest. I have done this one at a winter troop campout in a
            cabin, and it brings out the competitive nature. Everybody signs up for a 30
            minute slot. When their turn comes, they call "CQ" or "CQ contest" and log
            the responses. Scoring: regular QSO = 1 point; QSO with current or former
            Scout = 1 point bonus; QSO west of the Mississippi = 1 point bonus; outside
            the 48 states = 2 point bonus (watch 3rd party rules!). Make them tune
            around the band, change bands and log the QSO. You are there to teach and
            keep it legal.

            Best of luck. Don't forget to post an anticipated sked here so we can be
            listening for your call.

            73 & YIS,
            Dale

            > group files and googled as well, with not much success. Could any of
            > you share with me related activities you have used at an event like
            > this, or point me to some useful websites? I am looking for games and
            > other activities with a communications or international slant. We
            > need to be prepared for poor reception/bad weather, just in case.
          • Rae Schwartz
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
              Great ideas, James - thank you!
              Rae

              --- James Olson <sx88ht20@...> wrote:

              > Here are some JOTA activities that you might try:
              >
              > -Intro to Radio Merit Badge, including completing
              > a number of the requirements. This will give the
              > boys a toe-hold on the subject, and an advancement
              > opportunity.
              > -Morse code introduction: You could set up a
              > couple of code practice oscillators, and make a game
              > out of message sending. Not that each boy could
              > copy the sent code, but the boys could get practice
              > sending code. You could also have each boy make a
              > morse code chart for their own emergency use. Each
              > Scout in our Troop has a small portable survival kit
              > that they take on their outings. Inside each kit is
              > a variety of survival supplies, and a small card
              > with morse code on it.
              > -Tie in the Citizenship in the World merit badge:
              > JOTA is an international Scouting event. If you are
              > observing the event, then your Scouts could complete
              > that requirement (#9b).
              > -For the Cubs, teach the Communicator belt loop.
              > It's an easy tie in, but will require you to bring
              > some additonal items (such as paper & pencil to
              > write a letter). It is a fun belt loop to teach.
              > - Bring a pair of tin cans tied together with yarn
              > and play a message game (remember the game
              > "Telephone"?).
              >
              > Have fun, and we'll look for you on the air,
              >
              > James, W4JO
              > International Committee
              > Atlanta Area Council

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Rae Schwartz
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                Thank you, Wayne - I appreciate this!
                Rae

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                  Dear Pete,
                  Thank you so much for the link! I have printed out
                  the games, and also the JOTA circular, which has a lot
                  of useful information for our guys. I appreciate
                  this, and hope we get to speak with you on the JOTA
                  weekend!
                  Rae

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                    That's a good idea - thank you!
                    Rae

                    --- Adsit <dadsit@...> wrote:

                    > How about something disaster related? Perhaps your
                    > local EOC, Red Cross, or other group has a disaster
                    > communications vehicle they could show/demonstrate
                    > with.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Malcolm - G4CXT
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006

                      Rae

                      Take a look at the ideas here too:

                      http://www.radio-scouting.org.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=6

                      http://www.radio-scouting.org.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=16&MMN_position=24:24

                      Good Luck

                      Malcolm - G4CXT

                        I hope this isn't too off-topic. Our local amateur
                      radio club is
                        hosting its first JOTA campout. We have boy scouts
                      camping as well as
                        some cub scouts coming out for the day. I have
                      looked through the
                        group files and googled as well, with not much
                      success. Could any of
                        you share with me related activities you have used
                      at an event like
                        this, or point me to some useful websites? I am
                      looking for games and
                        other activities with a communications or
                      international slant. We
                        need to be prepared for poor reception/bad
                      weather, just in case.
                        Thank you so much! And feel free to reply offlist.
                        Rae Schwartz
                        Unit Commissioner
                        Gulf Coast Council, Choctaw District

                      Release Date: 10/4/2006

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          mailto:ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          mailto:ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Malcolm - G4CXT

                    • Rae Schwartz
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                        Thank you, Malcolm - these are wonderful resources!

                        You have all sent excellent ideas and resources. I
                        can't thank you enough! We will use some of the
                        simpler ones for this event, and work on the others
                        for next year -just in time for the 50th anniversary!

                        Our council is in the panhandle of northwest Florida.
                        We had done JOTA at our council camp as part of Fall
                        Camporees, but have not done one for several years.
                        This event will be on the property of one of the radio
                        club members, as it is quite large and also has some
                        of their permanent equipment. They had not done a
                        JOTA event themselves, so this is a learning
                        experience for all of us!
                        We have been fortunate in having an easy hurricane
                        season this year, but have in the recent past
                        experienced Ivan, Dennis, and Opal. Our scouts will
                        be surprised to learn that amateur radio operators are
                        in every shelter here, in case of emergencies. Our
                        chief sponsor, Cal Zethmayr of WAAZ-WJSB, got his
                        start in radio as a scout - we'll see if history
                        repeats!
                        Thank you all again, and hope our scouts get to thank
                        some of you in person during JOTA!
                        YIS,
                        Rae

                        http://mail.yahoo.com