JOTA campout ideas - request from a new member

  • Rae Schwartz
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
      I hope this isn't too off-topic. Our local amateur radio club is
      hosting its first JOTA campout. We have boy scouts camping as well as
      some cub scouts coming out for the day. I have looked through the
      group files and googled as well, with not much success. Could any of
      you share with me related activities you have used at an event like
      this, or point me to some useful websites? I am looking for games and
      other activities with a communications or international slant. We
      need to be prepared for poor reception/bad weather, just in case.
      Thank you so much! And feel free to reply offlist.
      Rae Schwartz
      Unit Commissioner
      Gulf Coast Council, Choctaw District
    • Adsit
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
        How about something disaster related? Perhaps your local EOC, Red Cross, or other group has a disaster communications vehicle they could show/demonstrate with.

        I hope this isn't too off-topic. Our local amateur radio club is
        hosting its first JOTA campout. We have boy scouts camping as well as
        some cub scouts coming out for the day. I have looked through the
        group files and googled as well, with not much success. Could any of
        you share with me related activities you have used at an event like
        this, or point me to some useful websites? I am looking for games and
        other activities with a communications or international slant. We
        need to be prepared for poor reception/bad weather, just in case.
        Thank you so much! And feel free to reply offlist.
        Rae Schwartz
        Unit Commissioner
        Gulf Coast Council, Choctaw District

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • g0wxj
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Rae Schwartz" <bakerny@...> wrote:

          > I hope this isn't too off-topic. Our local amateur radio club is
          > hosting its first JOTA campout. We have boy scouts camping as well as
          > some cub scouts coming out for the day. I have looked through the
          > group files and googled as well, with not much success. Could any of
          > you share with me related activities you have used at an event like
          > this, or point me to some useful websites? I am looking for games and
          > other activities with a communications or international slant. We
          > need to be prepared for poor reception/bad weather, just in case.
          > Thank you so much! And feel free to reply offlist.
          > Rae Schwartz
          > Unit Commissioner
          > Gulf Coast Council, Choctaw District

          Hi Rae,

          If it is of any use to you, have a look at a couple of games on our
          website http://www.wraa.co.uk click on the JOTA link.
          If you want the original documents so you can edit them, just let me know.

          Pete G0WXJ
        • Wayne Hatfield
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
            Ray,

            We are having a fox hunt for the scouts to try, Also don't forget to have
            the JOTA Cards to hand out from the National BSA Office as well as any other
            literature on ham radio. Check with the ARRL, they have all sorts.

            Wayne Hatfield kd5jjp
            Norwela Council
            Shreveport, La

            From: "g0wxj" <pete@...>
            To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: JOTA campout ideas - request from a new member
            Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 21:55:19 -0000

            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Rae Schwartz" <bakerny@...> wrote:

            >I hope this isn't too off-topic. Our local amateur radio club is hosting
            >its first JOTA campout. We have boy scouts camping as well as some cub
            >scouts coming out for the day. I have looked through the group files and
            >googled as well, with not much success. Could any of you share with me
            >related activities you have used at an event like this, or point me to some
            >useful websites? I am looking for games and other activities with a
            >communications or international slant. We need to be prepared for poor
            >reception/bad weather, just in case. Thank you so much! And feel free to
            >reply offlist.
            >Rae Schwartz
            >Unit Commissioner
            >Gulf Coast Council, Choctaw District

            Hi Rae,

            If it is of any use to you, have a look at a couple of games on our
            website http://www.wraa.co.uk click on the JOTA link.
            If you want the original documents so you can edit them, just let me know.

            Pete G0WXJ

            Add fun gadgets and colorful themes to express yourself on Windows Live
            Spaces
            http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.get.live.com/spaces/features
          • James Olson
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
              Here are some JOTA activities that you might try:

              -Intro to Radio Merit Badge, including completing a number of the requirements.  This will give the boys a toe-hold on the subject, and an advancement opportunity.
              -Morse code introduction:  You could set up a couple of code practice oscillators, and make a game out of message sending.  Not that each boy could copy the sent code, but the boys could get practice sending code.  You could also have each boy make a morse code chart for their own emergency use.  Each Scout in our Troop has a small portable survival kit that they take on their outings.  Inside each kit is a variety of survival supplies, and a small card with morse code on it.
              -Tie in the Citizenship in the World merit badge:  JOTA is an international Scouting event.  If you are observing the event, then your Scouts could complete that requirement (#9b).
              -For the Cubs, teach the Communicator belt loop.  It's an easy tie in, but will require you to bring some additonal items (such as paper & pencil to write a letter).  It is a fun belt loop to teach.
              - Bring a pair of tin cans tied together with yarn and play a message game (remember the game "Telephone"?).

              Have fun, and we'll look for you on the air,

              James, W4JO
              International Committee
              Atlanta Area Council
            • Dale Lamm
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
                Rae,

                Visit ARRL's helpful pages at http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/jota.html

                There are some good ideas at the bottom of the page.

                Contact Allen Pitts at ARRL. Request 50-100 of the "Hello Radio" brochures.
                Great handouts to explain the hobby to folks who may associate a JOTA
                station with a fancy "CB" operation!

                Everybody will approach JOTA differently. Our Crew 73 will set up early on
                10/21 at Camp McKinley in eastern Ohio. Two council districts will be there
                for a combined fall camporee with a middle ages theme (knights, kings,
                queens, etc). We try not to interfere with whatever program activities the
                organizers have planned. Instead, we are there merely as an interesting
                place to visit for Scouts and scouters.

                If a boy is interested in radio, he will self-select himself and hang
                around. We show the hobby's fun side, and talk about the public service
                aspects. We work other stations. The air will be filled with Scouts that
                weekend, and hams who are Scout-friendly.

                We have never been asked to set up a competitive activity at a camporee, but
                if we were, I'd consider something like this:

                1. Run a fox hunt disguised as an SAR mission. Put the fox in an old RC
                aircraft or toy glider, then hang it in a tree above their heads, or hidden
                in a hollow log, etc. Team that finds the "downed aircraft" in shortest time
                wins. Someone else said fox hunt, this is a good activity for outdoors.

                2. Message delivery contest. Without using voice, send a 50-100 character
                message from one group to another. They can use semaphore flags, mirrors,
                whistles, drums, FRS radios with beep call tones or Morse capability, smoke
                signals, a note tied to a rock (careful!), carrier pigeon, whatever. The
                team delivering the most correct letters in the least amount of time is the
                winner.

                3. Most QSO's contest. I have done this one at a winter troop campout in a
                cabin, and it brings out the competitive nature. Everybody signs up for a 30
                minute slot. When their turn comes, they call "CQ" or "CQ contest" and log
                the responses. Scoring: regular QSO = 1 point; QSO with current or former
                Scout = 1 point bonus; QSO west of the Mississippi = 1 point bonus; outside
                the 48 states = 2 point bonus (watch 3rd party rules!). Make them tune
                around the band, change bands and log the QSO. You are there to teach and
                keep it legal.

                Best of luck. Don't forget to post an anticipated sked here so we can be
                listening for your call.

                73 & YIS,
                Dale

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                  Great ideas, James - thank you!
                  Rae

                  --- James Olson <sx88ht20@...> wrote:

                  > Here are some JOTA activities that you might try:
                  >
                  > -Intro to Radio Merit Badge, including completing
                  > a number of the requirements. This will give the
                  > boys a toe-hold on the subject, and an advancement
                  > opportunity.
                  > -Morse code introduction: You could set up a
                  > couple of code practice oscillators, and make a game
                  > out of message sending. Not that each boy could
                  > copy the sent code, but the boys could get practice
                  > sending code. You could also have each boy make a
                  > morse code chart for their own emergency use. Each
                  > Scout in our Troop has a small portable survival kit
                  > that they take on their outings. Inside each kit is
                  > a variety of survival supplies, and a small card
                  > with morse code on it.
                  > -Tie in the Citizenship in the World merit badge:
                  > JOTA is an international Scouting event. If you are
                  > observing the event, then your Scouts could complete
                  > that requirement (#9b).
                  > -For the Cubs, teach the Communicator belt loop.
                  > It's an easy tie in, but will require you to bring
                  > some additonal items (such as paper & pencil to
                  > write a letter). It is a fun belt loop to teach.
                  > - Bring a pair of tin cans tied together with yarn
                  > and play a message game (remember the game
                  > "Telephone"?).
                  >
                  > Have fun, and we'll look for you on the air,
                  >
                  > James, W4JO
                  > International Committee
                  > Atlanta Area Council

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Rae Schwartz
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                    Thank you, Wayne - I appreciate this!
                    Rae

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                      Dear Pete,
                      Thank you so much for the link! I have printed out
                      the games, and also the JOTA circular, which has a lot
                      of useful information for our guys. I appreciate
                      this, and hope we get to speak with you on the JOTA
                      weekend!
                      Rae

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                        That's a good idea - thank you!
                        Rae

                        --- Adsit <dadsit@...> wrote:

                        > How about something disaster related? Perhaps your
                        > local EOC, Red Cross, or other group has a disaster
                        > communications vehicle they could show/demonstrate
                        > with.

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Malcolm - G4CXT
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006

                          Rae

                          Take a look at the ideas here too:

                          http://www.radio-scouting.org.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=6

                          http://www.radio-scouting.org.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=16&MMN_position=24:24

                          Good Luck

                          Malcolm - G4CXT

                            I hope this isn't too off-topic. Our local amateur
                          radio club is
                            hosting its first JOTA campout. We have boy scouts
                          camping as well as
                            some cub scouts coming out for the day. I have
                          looked through the
                            group files and googled as well, with not much
                          success. Could any of
                            you share with me related activities you have used
                          at an event like
                            this, or point me to some useful websites? I am
                          looking for games and
                            other activities with a communications or
                          international slant. We
                            need to be prepared for poor reception/bad
                          weather, just in case.
                            Thank you so much! And feel free to reply offlist.
                            Rae Schwartz
                            Unit Commissioner
                            Gulf Coast Council, Choctaw District

                          Release Date: 10/4/2006

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                              mailto:ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
                              mailto:ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          Malcolm - G4CXT

                        • Rae Schwartz
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
                            Thank you, Malcolm - these are wonderful resources!

                            You have all sent excellent ideas and resources. I
                            can't thank you enough! We will use some of the
                            simpler ones for this event, and work on the others
                            for next year -just in time for the 50th anniversary!

                            Our council is in the panhandle of northwest Florida.
                            We had done JOTA at our council camp as part of Fall
                            Camporees, but have not done one for several years.
                            This event will be on the property of one of the radio
                            club members, as it is quite large and also has some
                            of their permanent equipment. They had not done a
                            JOTA event themselves, so this is a learning
                            experience for all of us!
                            We have been fortunate in having an easy hurricane
                            season this year, but have in the recent past
                            experienced Ivan, Dennis, and Opal. Our scouts will
                            be surprised to learn that amateur radio operators are
                            in every shelter here, in case of emergencies. Our
                            chief sponsor, Cal Zethmayr of WAAZ-WJSB, got his
                            start in radio as a scout - we'll see if history
                            repeats!
                            Thank you all again, and hope our scouts get to thank
                            some of you in person during JOTA!
                            YIS,
                            Rae

                            http://mail.yahoo.com