Re: [scoutradio] Digest Number 81

  • Dave Colter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2000
      Alan, when they say that it will run for two days with no sun, they mean NO
      sun. And that is at a 50% duty cycle. We don't anticipate either situation
      occuring. The worst case situation is that a load of snow and ice gets on the
      panels, which will reduce, but not cut off the sun. At our northern latitude the
      panels are pitched up at a pretty steep angle, so snow is unlikely to stick.
      Ice might. We plan to put a low battery alarm on the repeater - it will beep
      each time the repeater is keyed up. If a temporary low-sun-low battery
      condition were to occur, the rangers have a small portable generator that could
      be used to charge the batteries, but according to the folks at SunWize who
      designed the system, the odds of ever needing to do this are extremely remote.
      Also, usage in the winter months will be minimal. Weekdays there are only two
      rangers on duty, and they mostly work side by side.

      Wind turbines are expensive and require maintenance - even the best ones. I
      have many years of experience with them, from Jacobs and Enertech to DOE/NASA
      Mod IIa (250kw). For a mere thousand dollars, I can double the number of solar
      panels and not have to worry about them.
      The rangers won't have to do much about monitoring the system. If the
      repeater's performance suffers a bit, they will call me and I will take either a
      gator or a snow machine up the hill to check. This is a commercial (MstrII)
      repeater in excellent condition, and we expect no trouble. It is a very simple
      system.

      Three of my Scouts may be on the air from our club's field day operation at
      W1FN. I will be there on Sunday, because I will be changing the Scout
      reservation's repeater antenna and feedline on Saturday.
      YIS & 73
      Dave Colter WA1ZCN