Re: Ham Radio Venture Crew Ideas

  • John Pise
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25 8:19 AM
      Crew 510 is still in the books, but we are in a "lull" while the
      charter members of the crew have all but aged out, and we are
      waiting for Crew, the 2nd Generation (11 & 12 year olds) to age-in.
      The website that we list on QRZ is pretty outdated.

      We are sponsored by the Hampden County Radio Association, and in our
      hayday we had 11 ACTIVE kids, doing JOTAs, unit demos, contests, and
      various other things.
      There are 3 or 4 younger hams that have voiced an interest in
      doing the "crew" thing, so we'll be back soon.

      A couple of the guys still do some spot activities under the
      crew guise. We do RMB at summer camp at the Moses scout reservation,
      we do the CQ WW WPX contest from K1TTT's contest station in Peru, MA.
      We do a demo at Webelos Woods every year at the scout camp.
      The Crew President is Mike, K1KAA (ex. KB1FWN), and he and I
      were on the staff of K2BSA/4 at Jambo '05. Mike has been with the
      crew since he was 12, and he is now 17.

      NE1C... yeah, a little arrogant, but its New England's #1 Crew.
      Crew 510... well, we took 510 because 510 in roman numerals
      is "DX"... we're known to the hams in the area as "Crew DX". On
      our "Class A" shirt, we wear "DX" in the unit space.

      '73 and YIS,
      John J. Pise, Jr., Kx1x (I used to be a fox)
      PROUD Advisor of Crew 510

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Lamm" <DaleLamm@...> wrote:

      > > There is/was an Venture Crew in Massachusetts,
      > > which specialized in Amateur Radio, and electronics, etc.
      > > They selected a unit number of 510.
      >
      > Yes, that's the crew associated with NE1C in Agawam, MA. Spoke
      with an adult
      > Crew 510 member on the air this summer. He explained that NE1C
      stood for
      > "New England's #1 Crew". Very clever. Follow the call's link on
      QRZ.com for
      > more info.
      >
      > PS: Could not hear announced Scout activity from the eastern US on
      Saturday.
      > Scandinavian contest and the Texas QSO party filled the airwaves
      at my QTH.

      > However, I did chance upon NX0G, who was portable with a troop in
      the
      > Rockies. QSO'd on 20m with two Scouts who were earning radio merit
      badge.

      > Our Crew 73 will be active this Saturday the 30th. Event is Order
      of the
      > Arrow's Fall Fellowship, operating from a camp in eastern Ohio.
      Planning on