Re: best handheld for scouts

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 18, 2006
      Depends on your specific criteria but I'm very partial to radios that
      are inexpensive and really appreciate the ones that are free. Some
      Scouts could be used by the military to field prove MIL-SPEC standards
      as they'll subject a radio to use and abuse that even a combat unit
      couldn't replicate!

      All humor aside, using donated radios (commercial if you can get them)
      is one way to protect your investment. Even if donated, you'll invest
      time and money making them operational. So the lower initial
      investment is good. (That and once they've carried a "brick" like a
      Bendix King or Motorola HT500 they appreciate the VX-150 or a VX-7 and
      are a bit more careful.)

      Actually, I do agree with the VX-150 for a single band radio. I have
      a couple which have survived a number of hikes and backpacking trips
      with my scouts / venturers. On VX-150 survived a fall into a pond from
      about 20'. Removed the battery pack and let it dry for a couple of
      weeks, works fine. For a dual band radio, I've been using the FT-60
      with good results. Yes, the SMA's are a problem if you're frequently
      removing the antennas, but if you find yourself doing that, I'd get a
      SMA/BNC adaptor.

      If you purchase new ham equipment, I suggest getting the AA battery
      carriers for when your backpacking, it's hard to find a charging
      recepticle.

      73

      Charles - KD6RXY
      www.crew800.org