Re: [ScoutRadio] best handheld for scouts

  • Dana McRae
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 13, 2006
      'Course, I've always been an Icom, Kenwood guy
      for whatever reason.

      My first HT was an Icom T22. I have an Icom W32A
      that's been goin' strong for years, but my current fav
      is my trusty "peashooter", a Kenwood F6A.

      Get 'em started on two meters.

      73

      -Dana, W6DBM

      On 9/13/06, kimbare@... <kimbare@...> wrote:

      > my favorite is a bit on the heavy side but has never failed me and it also has the pack for aa batteries if you choose to use them over the rechargables...pushes almost 7 watts ..it is the w32a from icom..i love it ...esp if u add a "hot rod" antennae fro use in the woods
      > ky2mmm
      >

      > On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:07:40 -0500, Steve Lehmann wrote
      > >

      > > I would recommend the Yaesu FT-60. It runs about $199. My selling points are the battery life, VHF/UHF, 1000 memories, rugged, and easy to use.
      > >
      > > 73's Steve N9MSF
      > >

      > > Steve Lehmann
      > > Storm Front Productions
      > > 218 W. High Street
      > > Princeville, IL 61559-9123
      > > (309) 251-7716 - Phone
      > > steven.lehmann@...

    • Rob Hoitt
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 13, 2006
        Both Icom's IC-T2H and IC-V8 are perfect for Scouts. Both are under the $150 price point, and are made military rugged. Both will take AA's and the added perk for the IC-V8 is that it is Scout Green colored! :) I own both and feel very comfratble letting my Scouts take these and use them as they are made so durably.

        Hope this helps!

        Very 73!

        --
        Rob Hoitt, N1FSK
        Assistant Section Manager - Scouting
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 13, 2006
          I am a scout and I know what radios cam/will be put through. I have the FT-60 and I'll recommend it to anyone. Some of the features may require the manual but you can get on the air pretty fast once you get it. It's great for scanning while I'm on my way to a campout. I have never tried the W32A, but it looks cool, just expensive.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto: ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Andrew K.
          KE5GDB
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 13, 2006
            Thanks for the inputs. i am still not fully decided but i think i am
            leaning to the T7H sport as it has only a AA pack and it has BNC antenna
            connector. i have an SMA on my ICQ7 but i am very careful and have made a
            short jumper to connect a BNC antenna. i think that an SMA to BNC adapter is
            inviting trouble. im still looking and will do some checking at the local
            ham store once i get some money.
            i appreciate all of the resonses that i have gotten.
            Thanks
            Barry

            >From: "barry whittemore" <wb1edi@...>
            >To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [ScoutRadio] best handheld for scouts
            >Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:17:44 -0400
            >
            >My Troop club has just been offered the Ham equipment estate of a silent
            >key
            >who was the grandfather of one of our scouts. i sugested to the donor that
            >the equip would not likely be anything that we could directly use. i was
            >told there is lots of equipment of various vintages. what i suggested was
            >that i could sell the equipment and use the money for buying some license
            >guides and some handies to lend to scouts that get there tickets.
            >my question is this. what are some of the better handies to get for kids. i
            >would like something robust and weather resistant. i am leaning toward
            >something that will take regular alkaline batteries as they may sit unused
            >for a while. i have an icom Q7 but its only 300 MW and i use it for
            >hamfests
            >etc. i dont spend much time with handies so im not sure what to look for.
            >any ideas?
            >Thanks
            >Barry
            >WB1EDI/KB1NH

            >Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them subscibe
            >to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth
            >
            >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
            >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Got something to buy, sell or swap? Try Windows Live Expo
            ttp://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwex0010000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://expo.live.com/
          • Ed Moss
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 14, 2006
              I have two Yaesu / Vertex VX-150's Easy to use and very rugged and
              weather resistant. Have used it in the rain and have dropped them a
              few times with only minor scuffs.

              Paid $110 for each, then got then quick charger and AA battery pack.
              Features are fairly easy to use.

              Only drawbacks, Audio could be a little louder, has a
              relatively "fragile" SMA connector, and isn't a broadband scanner.
              For 2m and listening to VHF Hi and some local aircraft freq... works
              well.

              Ed - N0LJD
            • Charles
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 18, 2006
                Depends on your specific criteria but I'm very partial to radios that
                are inexpensive and really appreciate the ones that are free. Some
                Scouts could be used by the military to field prove MIL-SPEC standards
                as they'll subject a radio to use and abuse that even a combat unit
                couldn't replicate!

                All humor aside, using donated radios (commercial if you can get them)
                is one way to protect your investment. Even if donated, you'll invest
                time and money making them operational. So the lower initial
                investment is good. (That and once they've carried a "brick" like a
                Bendix King or Motorola HT500 they appreciate the VX-150 or a VX-7 and
                are a bit more careful.)

                Actually, I do agree with the VX-150 for a single band radio. I have
                a couple which have survived a number of hikes and backpacking trips
                with my scouts / venturers. On VX-150 survived a fall into a pond from
                about 20'. Removed the battery pack and let it dry for a couple of
                weeks, works fine. For a dual band radio, I've been using the FT-60
                with good results. Yes, the SMA's are a problem if you're frequently
                removing the antennas, but if you find yourself doing that, I'd get a
                SMA/BNC adaptor.

                If you purchase new ham equipment, I suggest getting the AA battery
                carriers for when your backpacking, it's hard to find a charging
                recepticle.

                73

                Charles - KD6RXY
                www.crew800.org