Re: [ScoutRadio] best handheld for scouts

  • IronRoads
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 13, 2006
      Regarding alkaline use and Yeasu HTs
      Note that the VX-5/6/7 will run not run full power (5w) on the AA pack.
      The VX-150 and, I suspect, matching format radios like the FT-60, run full power (5w) on the AA pack.
      I do not know about the smaller VX-2's, but remember that full power for them is already pretty small (I think I remember hearing one half watt).

      I own a VX-5 and VX-150.  The 5 is smaller, but my scout age sons prefer the 150, even though it is almost twice the size.  They cite ease-of-use.  At the same time, we have some boys in the troop that use VX-5s and like them.

      To tell you the truth, I suspect it's like digital cameras, whichever one you use first, you will like most (at least until you have spent a lot of time with the alternatives).

      -Mark Z, ki6abr

      On 9/13/06, Stephen M. Shearer <wb3lgc@...> wrote:

      I do have a third party 6-cell AA pack for the IC-T7H. It is a little
      larger then the standard battery. The VX-5/6/7 battery pack uses 2 AA's. I
      also have the quick chargers for the radios. They work on 12 volts, so if
      camping near the car, I can re-charge. The "Icom charger" is third party
      from a hamfest (also on the internet). If you want the name I'll look.
      Second source battery pack for the icom has double the capacity in the same
      size - it's NiNH 1450mAh. Icom is also BNC.

      73, Steve WB3LGC
      (Troop 30 ARC KB3NCC)

      Behalf Of frank@...
      Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 10:59 PM

      To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [ScoutRadio] best handheld for scouts

      Steve mentioned the Icom IC-T7H. My son, who just got his license over the
      summer, has one. It's not as compact as some but it is a great basic
      radio that will do 5-6 watts on both 2m and 440 which comes in handy
      around here. It's very rugged - one of the reviews I read said it had been
      dropped off a tower and still worked. Fairly basic - 60 memories, no
      alpha, but is cloneable and because it's simple you don't need to get the
      manual out to decipher the controls. It runs either on a NiMH or you can
      get a battery adapter for 4 AA cells for those weeklong campouts away from
      AC power. Runs around $200 but is worth it.

      --
      YiS,
      Frank Maynard, NF8M

    • Dana McRae
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 13, 2006
        'Course, I've always been an Icom, Kenwood guy
        for whatever reason.

        My first HT was an Icom T22. I have an Icom W32A
        that's been goin' strong for years, but my current fav
        is my trusty "peashooter", a Kenwood F6A.

        Get 'em started on two meters.

        73

        -Dana, W6DBM

        On 9/13/06, kimbare@... <kimbare@...> wrote:

        > my favorite is a bit on the heavy side but has never failed me and it also has the pack for aa batteries if you choose to use them over the rechargables...pushes almost 7 watts ..it is the w32a from icom..i love it ...esp if u add a "hot rod" antennae fro use in the woods
        > ky2mmm
        >

        > On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:07:40 -0500, Steve Lehmann wrote
        > >

        > > I would recommend the Yaesu FT-60. It runs about $199. My selling points are the battery life, VHF/UHF, 1000 memories, rugged, and easy to use.
        > >
        > > 73's Steve N9MSF
        > >

        > > Steve Lehmann
        > > Storm Front Productions
        > > 218 W. High Street
        > > Princeville, IL 61559-9123
        > > (309) 251-7716 - Phone
        > > steven.lehmann@...

      • Rob Hoitt
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 13, 2006
          Both Icom's IC-T2H and IC-V8 are perfect for Scouts. Both are under the $150 price point, and are made military rugged. Both will take AA's and the added perk for the IC-V8 is that it is Scout Green colored! :) I own both and feel very comfratble letting my Scouts take these and use them as they are made so durably.

          Hope this helps!

          Very 73!

          --
          Rob Hoitt, N1FSK
          Assistant Section Manager - Scouting
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 13, 2006
            I am a scout and I know what radios cam/will be put through. I have the FT-60 and I'll recommend it to anyone. Some of the features may require the manual but you can get on the air pretty fast once you get it. It's great for scanning while I'm on my way to a campout. I have never tried the W32A, but it looks cool, just expensive.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto: ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            Andrew K.
            KE5GDB
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 13, 2006
              Thanks for the inputs. i am still not fully decided but i think i am
              leaning to the T7H sport as it has only a AA pack and it has BNC antenna
              connector. i have an SMA on my ICQ7 but i am very careful and have made a
              short jumper to connect a BNC antenna. i think that an SMA to BNC adapter is
              inviting trouble. im still looking and will do some checking at the local
              ham store once i get some money.
              i appreciate all of the resonses that i have gotten.
              Thanks
              Barry

              >From: "barry whittemore" <wb1edi@...>
              >To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [ScoutRadio] best handheld for scouts
              >Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:17:44 -0400
              >
              >My Troop club has just been offered the Ham equipment estate of a silent
              >key
              >who was the grandfather of one of our scouts. i sugested to the donor that
              >the equip would not likely be anything that we could directly use. i was
              >told there is lots of equipment of various vintages. what i suggested was
              >that i could sell the equipment and use the money for buying some license
              >guides and some handies to lend to scouts that get there tickets.
              >my question is this. what are some of the better handies to get for kids. i
              >would like something robust and weather resistant. i am leaning toward
              >something that will take regular alkaline batteries as they may sit unused
              >for a while. i have an icom Q7 but its only 300 MW and i use it for
              >hamfests
              >etc. i dont spend much time with handies so im not sure what to look for.
              >any ideas?
              >Thanks
              >Barry
              >WB1EDI/KB1NH

              >Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them subscibe
              >to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth
              >
              >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
              >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              Got something to buy, sell or swap? Try Windows Live Expo
              ttp://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwex0010000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://expo.live.com/
            • Ed Moss
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 14, 2006
                I have two Yaesu / Vertex VX-150's Easy to use and very rugged and
                weather resistant. Have used it in the rain and have dropped them a
                few times with only minor scuffs.

                Paid $110 for each, then got then quick charger and AA battery pack.
                Features are fairly easy to use.

                Only drawbacks, Audio could be a little louder, has a
                relatively "fragile" SMA connector, and isn't a broadband scanner.
                For 2m and listening to VHF Hi and some local aircraft freq... works
                well.

                Ed - N0LJD
              • Charles
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 18, 2006
                  Depends on your specific criteria but I'm very partial to radios that
                  are inexpensive and really appreciate the ones that are free. Some
                  Scouts could be used by the military to field prove MIL-SPEC standards
                  as they'll subject a radio to use and abuse that even a combat unit
                  couldn't replicate!

                  All humor aside, using donated radios (commercial if you can get them)
                  is one way to protect your investment. Even if donated, you'll invest
                  time and money making them operational. So the lower initial
                  investment is good. (That and once they've carried a "brick" like a
                  Bendix King or Motorola HT500 they appreciate the VX-150 or a VX-7 and
                  are a bit more careful.)

                  Actually, I do agree with the VX-150 for a single band radio. I have
                  a couple which have survived a number of hikes and backpacking trips
                  with my scouts / venturers. On VX-150 survived a fall into a pond from
                  about 20'. Removed the battery pack and let it dry for a couple of
                  weeks, works fine. For a dual band radio, I've been using the FT-60
                  with good results. Yes, the SMA's are a problem if you're frequently
                  removing the antennas, but if you find yourself doing that, I'd get a
                  SMA/BNC adaptor.

                  If you purchase new ham equipment, I suggest getting the AA battery
                  carriers for when your backpacking, it's hard to find a charging
                  recepticle.

                  73

                  Charles - KD6RXY
                  www.crew800.org