Camporee Program on Emergency Response

  • Bill Ragsdale
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2006
      Our last Camporee (Yolo District, Northern California) was based on
      a Katrina style Emergency Response, not preparedness. The scenario
      was a Scout patrol was on an outing, the nearby levee was breached
      (it is within 1 mile of our Scout park), a barn fell on a worker,
      gas main broke with a resulting fire, water pump was out and an
      invalid was on life support from a generator. Local responders are
      overloaded and the Scouts receive a radio call as the nearest
      resource.

      The patrols were issued a fire extinguisher, brought an FRS radio
      and were dispatched by radio from our local ham club. (We also had
      special event station W6Y). The fire department setup a propane fire
      tray for training, the Red Cross had realistic victims, the police
      department had two running generators, sandbags and 2 yards of sand,
      and Scouters setup supplies to build water filers (sand, charcoal, 2
      litre soda bottles).

      So the Scouts put out a live fire, gave realistic, basic first aid
      for breathing, bleeding and shock, made 24 sandbags placed around
      running generators and filtered a quart of gritty, dirty water then
      boiled it. Very successful.

      I can email our plan which is 100 kbyte Word document. -or- I can
      mail a CD with the entire program, artwork, plan, handouts,
      scenario. It runs 175 mbyte, too large to post. Email if you'd like
      either copy with your email or postal address.
      mailto:bill@...

      Bill Ragsdale
      K6INB, Yolo District Chairman