Camporee

  • Dan Fisher
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
      I have been "pressed into service," along with another local
      radio-scouter, to put on a radio and technology camporee this
      Spring--probably in March. HELLLLPPPPP!!!! I need some good ideas!

      Thanks and 73,

      Dan AI4GK
    • Frank Krizan
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006

        Hi Dan,

        Give us an idea of the “scope” of this sort of camporee.  Sounds like no traditional scouting is involved.  Will the scouts be camping as troops/units or as contingent troops?  Or, no camping involved?  Or, sleeping in cabins?

        73, Frank KR1ZAN

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
          Dan,

          Frank asked the question first. Please describe the event if you can.
          Are these Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, mixed? In the woods? In a school
          gym? Rough idea of how many attending?

          Some Camporees I've been involved with are pure "show and tell" (ex.
          Civil War re-enactors), others are a series of fun competitions. What
          are the ground rules for your event?

          Anxious to share ideas, but don't want to throw things on the table
          that would not fit in with the theme. Am I correct in assuming the
          ENTIRE event is radio & tech?

          Finally, March can be beautiful in Florida, ugly in Maine. Where is
          the event?

          73, Dale
        • Rue Stuteville
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
            Dan,

            Doing camporees are fun and one about amateur radio should be a hoot.
            I just chaired one on emergency preparedness we had the fire dept,
            police dept set up stations. The fire dept brought in equipment and
            did demo's with them and the scouts love it. The police set their idea
            of a kim's game and that was well received. This months Scouting
            magazine has an article on a Maryland Council doing a Prepareness
            Camporee. I know I have talked a lot about emergency prepardness but
            the two merit badges go hand and hand. Things to do with radio, set up
            a crystal radio station with different types of crystal radios for
            them to look at and try. You really want to blow their mind go to
            bizarrelabs.com/foxtimag.htm and build the Foxhole Radio. It really
            works and they won't believe it. In fact you could build several or
            even time premitted let them build their own. Set up a mini foxhunt, a
            morse code station, we built one at a wild west camporee that was like
            they were in the old west, that style of key and everything. We hooked
            two of them to together and let them send a simple message, that was a
            great station. We made the made the telegraph office out of 2x2's and
            cardboard, looked great. You could set up a simple soldering station
            and let them learn to solder. And don't forget VHF and HF stations. A
            hands on demo on putting an antenna in the trees.
            I have a scouter here in the Tidewater Council who can teach scouts
            morse code in 30 mintues. I know he might not be able to make it to
            your camporee but I bet if you email him he would be glad to explain
            it to you. It involves all kinds of props like shooting off a blank
            pistol and other neat things. His name is BJ Taylor email
            bjtaylor@.... I hope this helps you some, I enjoy trying to come
            up with neat camporee ideas and getting lots of people involved.

            Rudy KA4PLH
          • Bill Ragsdale
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2006
              Our last Camporee (Yolo District, Northern California) was based on
              a Katrina style Emergency Response, not preparedness. The scenario
              was a Scout patrol was on an outing, the nearby levee was breached
              (it is within 1 mile of our Scout park), a barn fell on a worker,
              gas main broke with a resulting fire, water pump was out and an
              invalid was on life support from a generator. Local responders are
              overloaded and the Scouts receive a radio call as the nearest
              resource.

              The patrols were issued a fire extinguisher, brought an FRS radio
              and were dispatched by radio from our local ham club. (We also had
              special event station W6Y). The fire department setup a propane fire
              tray for training, the Red Cross had realistic victims, the police
              department had two running generators, sandbags and 2 yards of sand,
              and Scouters setup supplies to build water filers (sand, charcoal, 2
              litre soda bottles).

              So the Scouts put out a live fire, gave realistic, basic first aid
              for breathing, bleeding and shock, made 24 sandbags placed around
              running generators and filtered a quart of gritty, dirty water then
              boiled it. Very successful.

              I can email our plan which is 100 kbyte Word document. -or- I can
              mail a CD with the entire program, artwork, plan, handouts,
              scenario. It runs 175 mbyte, too large to post. Email if you'd like
              either copy with your email or postal address.
              mailto:bill@...

              Bill Ragsdale
              K6INB, Yolo District Chairman