Re: No Scouts on the radio?

  • wb8wtu
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
      Group,

      My compliments to Dale. I spent a week at Seven Ranges in July and had the chance to
      meet Dale. His advice is very good and his presentation was first class - with plenty of
      "information" available for visitors and Scouts. His antenna set-up was impressive and it
      looked as if he really could work the world. A fine display of Ham Radio and a very
      personable operator.

      I had my rig in camp but I found my internal batteries were pretty much depleated by the
      end of the day - high temps and humidity just did me in every night. Seven Ranges is a
      beautiful camp, but a couple of Ranges too many for this OM.

      Having calling frequencies and listening times is a great idea, although it may take a year
      or so for the word to spread. I'll have my rig again next summer and will listen for other
      Scout Camps throughout the year.

      Good job, Dale.

      73,
      dennis
      wb8wtu
    • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 6, 2006
        Hi All!
        I just got back from Camp Turrell in Cuddebackville, NY and while running a
        Radio Merit Badge class, we contacted Scouts and non-Scouts on 20m, 40m and
        2m.
        Our SPL, Kunal, KC2PWB had his first contact with another Scout, K3KEF as a
        demo to the Merit Badge class. The boys and their leaders were impressed
        and I also gave each a pack of training materials (ppt & doc files and also
        the download of Ham University, HA and MA.) They were really excited and
        we'll probably get a couple of new hams out of the group in the next couple
        of years.

        Three of my Troop's Scouts journeyed over to the Forestburg Scout
        Reservation on Thursday night to try to pass the Technician Class exam,
        which they didn't! HOWEVER, most Scouts in our Troop who have taken their
        first exam there have subsequently passed the exam and are licensed! They
        include KC2NZC, KC2OAA and KC2PWB.

        As usual, Nathaniel, W2NAF and the VE team from the Tri-State Amateur Radio
        Association were gracious and helpful hosts. Remember, usually Scouts are
        REALLY TIRED by Thursday and many haven't studied in a week or more, so
        immediate passing is not the goal here. The real goal is to get the "first
        time jitters" behind the Scout, and also to go through the process of
        filling out all the paperwork.
        In fact, it seems to me that this is the first time a detailed application
        has been filled out by any of the boys, so it is similar to a job
        application process, complete with SSN! In any case, it is a highly
        instructive activity for Scouts - whether they pass or not.
        All in all, we had a great time and enjoyed the evening and I'm sure that
        all three Scouts will ultimately be licensed - especially since two of them
        had older brothers who are licensed... hi hi! (FYI: old brothers include
        KC2NZC and KC2OAA)

        Back home we have an on-going Ham Radio Class this summer which will help
        both them and a few others who did not go to camp, get their licenses.

        Vy 73,
        Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
        201.314.6964
        w2ttt@...