[ScoutRadio] Re: No Scouts on the radio?

  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 31, 2006
      Best I can determine there are either 277 or 285 Councils in the US, depending upon how one counts according to
      http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Scouting/Organizations/Boy_Scouts_of_America/Councils/ . I think every Council has at least one Scout Camp while many, especially the mega-councils have more than one and up to perhaps ten camps (e.g., Greater NYC Council). USSSP lists 819 Scout-owned camps, but some/many of these are not traditional Scout Camps, per se (e.g., just land which may be used for Scouting or winter-only camps, among other possibilities).
      http://usscouts.org/databases/camp/ocd.cgi .

      With the recent postings, I think the SCCP now has maybe as many as 20 participating camps with the degree of participation varying to a couple times per week to all week for one week to several who are trying to make contact almost daily. It's like trying to find the proverbial needle in the old proverbial haystack with so few trying to work through poor propagation, camp programs, QRM, and QRN. I have no idea how many non-camp Scouters like myself are listening/calling.

      We should keep trying to make contacts, keep records of our successes and failures, and apply this information for "the big push" for summer camp season 2007.

      73 de Fred K2FRD

      At 8:35 PM +0000 30/7/06, Gary Wilson wrote:
      >One caveat about this. The protocol is new this year and I bet a
      >lot of Scout camps haven't heard about it yet.
      >
      >One further thought. There are over 300 councils and probably
      >roughly the same number of Scouts camps. I'll bet the number of
      >camps that actually offer Radio Merit Badge as a regular part of
      >their program (not just when some ham Scoutmaster shows up) is under
      >a dozen. So I wouldn't expect a lot of activity.
      >
      >What really needs to be done is for EVERY ham radio club to make
      >sure that a ham station and merit badge counselor is available for
      >EVERY week of the summer at EVERY scout camp.
      >
      >I would encourage every club to approach their local council and
      >offer to help. If it means having a rotating schedule of hams to
      >teach and operate after work at the camp with their portable
      >equipment, fine. If it means donating a rig and multiband dipole
      >for a permanent station, fine. If it means paying the council to
      >subsidize a radio merit badge staff member and help them get to get
      >a license each year, fine.
      >
      >But just trying to talk to Scout camps from home is a small part of
      >the effort.

      Editor-Publisher
      "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
      http://ocarg.org/
    • wb8wtu
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
        Group,

        My compliments to Dale. I spent a week at Seven Ranges in July and had the chance to
        meet Dale. His advice is very good and his presentation was first class - with plenty of
        "information" available for visitors and Scouts. His antenna set-up was impressive and it
        looked as if he really could work the world. A fine display of Ham Radio and a very
        personable operator.

        I had my rig in camp but I found my internal batteries were pretty much depleated by the
        end of the day - high temps and humidity just did me in every night. Seven Ranges is a
        beautiful camp, but a couple of Ranges too many for this OM.

        Having calling frequencies and listening times is a great idea, although it may take a year
        or so for the word to spread. I'll have my rig again next summer and will listen for other
        Scout Camps throughout the year.

        Good job, Dale.

        73,
        dennis
        wb8wtu
      • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 6, 2006
          Hi All!
          I just got back from Camp Turrell in Cuddebackville, NY and while running a
          Radio Merit Badge class, we contacted Scouts and non-Scouts on 20m, 40m and
          2m.
          Our SPL, Kunal, KC2PWB had his first contact with another Scout, K3KEF as a
          demo to the Merit Badge class. The boys and their leaders were impressed
          and I also gave each a pack of training materials (ppt & doc files and also
          the download of Ham University, HA and MA.) They were really excited and
          we'll probably get a couple of new hams out of the group in the next couple
          of years.

          Three of my Troop's Scouts journeyed over to the Forestburg Scout
          Reservation on Thursday night to try to pass the Technician Class exam,
          which they didn't! HOWEVER, most Scouts in our Troop who have taken their
          first exam there have subsequently passed the exam and are licensed! They
          include KC2NZC, KC2OAA and KC2PWB.

          As usual, Nathaniel, W2NAF and the VE team from the Tri-State Amateur Radio
          Association were gracious and helpful hosts. Remember, usually Scouts are
          REALLY TIRED by Thursday and many haven't studied in a week or more, so
          immediate passing is not the goal here. The real goal is to get the "first
          time jitters" behind the Scout, and also to go through the process of
          filling out all the paperwork.
          In fact, it seems to me that this is the first time a detailed application
          has been filled out by any of the boys, so it is similar to a job
          application process, complete with SSN! In any case, it is a highly
          instructive activity for Scouts - whether they pass or not.
          All in all, we had a great time and enjoyed the evening and I'm sure that
          all three Scouts will ultimately be licensed - especially since two of them
          had older brothers who are licensed... hi hi! (FYI: old brothers include
          KC2NZC and KC2OAA)

          Back home we have an on-going Ham Radio Class this summer which will help
          both them and a few others who did not go to camp, get their licenses.

          Vy 73,
          Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
          201.314.6964
          w2ttt@...