No Scouts on the radio?

  • Brian Walker
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 28, 2006
      I tried to make Scout contacts all week, but not a single call back, I did hear one Scout station briefly but that is it...  14.290 7pm EST

      Hope this was just a bad week... will try again next week!
      K9BKW
      WB9SA trustee
      Brian

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 28, 2006
        Hi Brian.
        I think it was an off week. I had no luck either. Previous weeks
        were very good though. I plan to take my HF rig with me back to
        camp for this upcoming week. I took it a couple of weeks ago and
        was not able to get on the air. I simply was kept busy all week.
        This week should be slower since it is the last week of camp. If I
        make it on the air, I will be on 20 and 40M.

        73
        Doc, KD8BGQ

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Walker" <bwalker@...>
        wrote:

        > I tried to make Scout contacts all week, but not a single call
        back, I did hear one Scout station briefly but that is it... 14.290
        7pm EST

        > Hope this was just a bad week... will try again next week!
        > K9BKW
        > WB9SA trustee
        > Brian

      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 28, 2006
          At 5:37 PM -0400 28/7/06, Brian Walker wrote:
          >I tried to make Scout contacts all week, but not a single call back, I did hear one Scout station briefly but that is it... 14.290 7pm EST
          >
          >Hope this was just a bad week... will try again next week!
          >K9BKW
          >WB9SA trustee
          >Brian

          Brian et al--

          I also have been listening and putting out a few calls myself, but with no luck as yet. I think we have to consider the SCCP in Beta-testing at this time and is a practice run for summer 2007. Given several considerations: that we may have no more than ten Scout Camps actively working the SCCP at this time with perhaps only a dozen or so at home Scouters (like myself); that none of us are on the air to meet every schedule every day of the week (I'm lucky to meet just one of the potential 12 daily skeds); that propaganda is poor due to the bottoming out of Cycle 23 - then the odds of any one of us making contact with anyone else is pretty low. It's amazing that there have indeed been inter-camp contacts and I would hope for more, but the probabilities are against us. Further, I understand that many camps have already completed their season, so there's that number more which are not available for contacts.

          All we can do is as we learned in Cub Scouts and do our best. At the end of the season, we will evaluate the SCCP, make any necessary changes, and prepare for the 2007 season when we will have considerably more National and international coverage, announcements to camps, clubs, and councils, and publicity.

          Editor-Publisher
          "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
          http://ocarg.org/
        • Adsit
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 28, 2006
            I am heading to our scout camp on Sunday and will be there all next week. Up until now, I was only at our camp on Wed and Thurs evenings teaching the radio merit badge with not much air time on HF. Hope to be able to have a couple of scout contacts next week. Look for me on 20 and 40 meters.

            73,
            Dave Adsit
            KG4BIR

            At 5:37 PM -0400 28/7/06, Brian Walker wrote:
            >I tried to make Scout contacts all week, but not a single call back, I did hear one Scout station briefly but that is it... 14.290 7pm EST
            >
            >Hope this was just a bad week... will try again next week!
            >K9BKW
            >WB9SA trustee
            >Brian

            Brian et al--

            I also have been listening and putting out a few calls myself, but with no luck as yet. I think we have to consider the SCCP in Beta-testing at this time and is a practice run for summer 2007. Given several considerations: that we may have no more than ten Scout Camps actively working the SCCP at this time with perhaps only a dozen or so at home Scouters (like myself); that none of us are on the air to meet every schedule every day of the week (I'm lucky to meet just one of the potential 12 daily skeds); that propaganda is poor due to the bottoming out of Cycle 23 - then the odds of any one of us making contact with anyone else is pretty low. It's amazing that there have indeed been inter-camp contacts and I would hope for more, but the probabilities are against us. Further, I understand that many camps have already completed their season, so there's that number more which are not available for contacts.

            All we can do is as we learned in Cub Scouts and do our best. At the end of the season, we will evaluate the SCCP, make any necessary changes, and prepare for the 2007 season when we will have considerably more National and international coverage, announcements to camps, clubs, and councils, and publicity.

            Editor-Publisher
            "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
            http://ocarg. org/

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • nf2l@rochester.rr.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 28, 2006
              I will be on the air next week from Northern NY at Camp Massawepie. I
              will be using a Buddistick and a 1/2 sized G5RV. I hope to hear some
              activity. I am sure Monday will be hectic so look for me from Tuesday
              on.

              Andy de NF2L

              > I am heading to our scout camp on Sunday and will be there all
              > next week. Up until now, I was only at our camp on Wed and Thurs
              > evenings teaching the radio merit badge with not much air time on
              > HF. Hope to be able to have a couple of scout contacts next week.
              > Look for me on 20 and 40 meters.
              >
              > 73,
              > Dave Adsit
              > KG4BIR

            • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 28, 2006
                Fred,
                Take heart!
                I couldn't operate during any of the normal slots, so I found my way across
                both 20 and 40 meters during demos with Cubs at Northern New Jersey
                Council's Camp Lewis which is a Cub resident camp. I ran demos on Sunday
                and Tuesday evenings and got a bunch of Cubs from Newark, North Caldwell,
                Washington Township and Bergenfield talking!
                Because of propagation, I ended up going on other frequencies, but the job
                got done!
                This week, starting July 30th, I will operate the normal net frequencies
                this week from NNJC's Camp Turrell in Cuddebackville, NY. I will also be
                taking some Scouts over to the Forestburg Scout Reservation on Thursday
                night for the test session there. In three summers none of my Scouts have
                passed there, but it's fun to go over to another camp and chat with W2NAF
                (Nathaniel) and the other folks. Also, three Scouts from our Troop and
                another adult, all who have failed there, shook out their demons and
                subsequently got their tickets over the last two years and more are in
                process! It's a good thing to go there!
                Anyway, I will see if I can get Nathaniel to set up on some repeater or
                simplex between our camps to set up HF skeds. This may make for some
                activity that will show up more broadly when propagation is better.

                Vy 73,
                Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
                201.314.6964
                w2ttt@...
                w2ttt@...
                w2ttt@...

                At 5:37 PM -0400 28/7/06, Brian Walker wrote:
                >I tried to make Scout contacts all week, but not a single call back, I did
                hear one Scout station briefly but that is it... 14.290 7pm EST

                >Hope this was just a bad week... will try again next week!
                >K9BKW
                >WB9SA trustee
                >Brian

                Brian et al--

                I also have been listening and putting out a few calls myself, but with no
                luck as yet. I think we have to consider the SCCP in Beta-testing at this
                time and is a practice run for summer 2007. Given several considerations:
                that we may have no more than ten Scout Camps actively working the SCCP at
                this time with perhaps only a dozen or so at home Scouters (like myself);
                that none of us are on the air to meet every schedule every day of the week
                (I'm lucky to meet just one of the potential 12 daily skeds); that
                propaganda is poor due to the bottoming out of Cycle 23 - then the odds of
                any one of us making contact with anyone else is pretty low. It's amazing
                that there have indeed been inter-camp contacts and I would hope for more,
                but the probabilities are against us. Further, I understand that many camps
                have already completed their season, so there's that number more which are
                not available for contacts.

                All we can do is as we learned in Cub Scouts and do our best. At the end of
                the season, we will evaluate the SCCP, make any necessary changes, and
                prepare for the 2007 season when we will have considerably more National and
                international coverage, announcements to camps, clubs, and councils, and
                publicity.

                Editor-Publisher
                "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
                http://ocarg.org/ <http://ocarg.org/>
              • Ken Skinner
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 29, 2006
                  I am the ranger for Camp George W. Pirtle in East Texas.  I will try my best to monitor these bands next week, say between 1900 and 2000 CDT.  Maybe we can get some contacts on the air.

                  Hang in there guys,

                  Ken Skinner N5OW
                • Gary Wilson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 30, 2006
                    One caveat about this. The protocol is new this year and I bet a
                    lot of Scout camps haven't heard about it yet.

                    One further thought. There are over 300 councils and probably
                    roughly the same number of Scouts camps. I'll bet the number of
                    camps that actually offer Radio Merit Badge as a regular part of
                    their program (not just when some ham Scoutmaster shows up) is under
                    a dozen. So I wouldn't expect a lot of activity.

                    What really needs to be done is for EVERY ham radio club to make
                    sure that a ham station and merit badge counselor is available for
                    EVERY week of the summer at EVERY scout camp.

                    I would encourage every club to approach their local council and
                    offer to help. If it means having a rotating schedule of hams to
                    teach and operate after work at the camp with their portable
                    equipment, fine. If it means donating a rig and multiband dipole
                    for a permanent station, fine. If it means paying the council to
                    subsidize a radio merit badge staff member and help them get to get
                    a license each year, fine.

                    But just trying to talk to Scout camps from home is a small part of
                    the effort.

                    73

                    Gary, K2GW
                  • DaleLamm
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 31, 2006
                      Fred & the group,

                      Just back from a week with Troop 127 at Seven Ranges Scout Reservation
                      in Ohio. Have also been visiting the camp every Thursday during the
                      summer camp season, setting up a ham station and running an "open
                      house". Two weeks remain in our eight week season. So far, have
                      counted on average 20 visitors each day the station was up. Average
                      visit is 3 or 4 scouts for 30-60 minutes, with one good QSO per visit.
                      Have worked portable JOTA in 2005, and plan on doing so again in 2006,
                      2007, 2008, etc.

                      My intent is to author an article describing how I obtain maximal
                      success with these things. Look for it late in 2006 after the JOTA on
                      10/21/06, probably in QST magazine.

                      Here's a sneak peek at the bottom line.

                      Operate in a highly visible location, even if it's not the best for
                      RF. Bring along 100 watts or more. At this point in the solar cycle,
                      avoid QRP. Kids like Morse code as well as voice, so have a paddle
                      ready. Put up a big antenna that all can see. Go heavy on the day-glo
                      pink safety ribbons. Have handout info ready to go (ARRL's "Hello"
                      brochure is super). Be enthusiastic. Talk about Katrina, SKYWARN,
                      emergency preparedness as well as the recreational aspects of the hobby.

                      Don't restrict operations to the hourly SCCP times. Easiest to break
                      into an ongoing QSO, after listening a bit to judge whether the ops
                      are likely to be "scout friendly". Call CQ as "CQ CQ CQ from NX8J
                      portable at Boy Scout camp". There are PLENTY of hams who are/were
                      scouters. Perhaps 50% of these CQ's will yield someone who has an
                      Eagle scout son, was a scoutmaster, etc. A CQ on July 20 raised a
                      gentleman from New Mexico on 20 meters. He and his son had visited
                      Philmont. He had a few good stories to relate to the three scouts on
                      my end in Ohio. He gets a council patch along with my QSL card!

                      There's more to say, especially about operational details, but please
                      wait for the fall/winter article. Good luck to all, hope to QSO with
                      you soon.
                    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 31, 2006
                        Best I can determine there are either 277 or 285 Councils in the US, depending upon how one counts according to
                        http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Scouting/Organizations/Boy_Scouts_of_America/Councils/ . I think every Council has at least one Scout Camp while many, especially the mega-councils have more than one and up to perhaps ten camps (e.g., Greater NYC Council). USSSP lists 819 Scout-owned camps, but some/many of these are not traditional Scout Camps, per se (e.g., just land which may be used for Scouting or winter-only camps, among other possibilities).
                        http://usscouts.org/databases/camp/ocd.cgi .

                        With the recent postings, I think the SCCP now has maybe as many as 20 participating camps with the degree of participation varying to a couple times per week to all week for one week to several who are trying to make contact almost daily. It's like trying to find the proverbial needle in the old proverbial haystack with so few trying to work through poor propagation, camp programs, QRM, and QRN. I have no idea how many non-camp Scouters like myself are listening/calling.

                        We should keep trying to make contacts, keep records of our successes and failures, and apply this information for "the big push" for summer camp season 2007.

                        73 de Fred K2FRD

                        At 8:35 PM +0000 30/7/06, Gary Wilson wrote:
                        >One caveat about this. The protocol is new this year and I bet a
                        >lot of Scout camps haven't heard about it yet.
                        >
                        >One further thought. There are over 300 councils and probably
                        >roughly the same number of Scouts camps. I'll bet the number of
                        >camps that actually offer Radio Merit Badge as a regular part of
                        >their program (not just when some ham Scoutmaster shows up) is under
                        >a dozen. So I wouldn't expect a lot of activity.
                        >
                        >What really needs to be done is for EVERY ham radio club to make
                        >sure that a ham station and merit badge counselor is available for
                        >EVERY week of the summer at EVERY scout camp.
                        >
                        >I would encourage every club to approach their local council and
                        >offer to help. If it means having a rotating schedule of hams to
                        >teach and operate after work at the camp with their portable
                        >equipment, fine. If it means donating a rig and multiband dipole
                        >for a permanent station, fine. If it means paying the council to
                        >subsidize a radio merit badge staff member and help them get to get
                        >a license each year, fine.
                        >
                        >But just trying to talk to Scout camps from home is a small part of
                        >the effort.

                        Editor-Publisher
                        "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
                        http://ocarg.org/
                      • wb8wtu
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
                          Group,

                          My compliments to Dale. I spent a week at Seven Ranges in July and had the chance to
                          meet Dale. His advice is very good and his presentation was first class - with plenty of
                          "information" available for visitors and Scouts. His antenna set-up was impressive and it
                          looked as if he really could work the world. A fine display of Ham Radio and a very
                          personable operator.

                          I had my rig in camp but I found my internal batteries were pretty much depleated by the
                          end of the day - high temps and humidity just did me in every night. Seven Ranges is a
                          beautiful camp, but a couple of Ranges too many for this OM.

                          Having calling frequencies and listening times is a great idea, although it may take a year
                          or so for the word to spread. I'll have my rig again next summer and will listen for other
                          Scout Camps throughout the year.

                          Good job, Dale.

                          73,
                          dennis
                          wb8wtu
                        • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 6, 2006
                            Hi All!
                            I just got back from Camp Turrell in Cuddebackville, NY and while running a
                            Radio Merit Badge class, we contacted Scouts and non-Scouts on 20m, 40m and
                            2m.
                            Our SPL, Kunal, KC2PWB had his first contact with another Scout, K3KEF as a
                            demo to the Merit Badge class. The boys and their leaders were impressed
                            and I also gave each a pack of training materials (ppt & doc files and also
                            the download of Ham University, HA and MA.) They were really excited and
                            we'll probably get a couple of new hams out of the group in the next couple
                            of years.

                            Three of my Troop's Scouts journeyed over to the Forestburg Scout
                            Reservation on Thursday night to try to pass the Technician Class exam,
                            which they didn't! HOWEVER, most Scouts in our Troop who have taken their
                            first exam there have subsequently passed the exam and are licensed! They
                            include KC2NZC, KC2OAA and KC2PWB.

                            As usual, Nathaniel, W2NAF and the VE team from the Tri-State Amateur Radio
                            Association were gracious and helpful hosts. Remember, usually Scouts are
                            REALLY TIRED by Thursday and many haven't studied in a week or more, so
                            immediate passing is not the goal here. The real goal is to get the "first
                            time jitters" behind the Scout, and also to go through the process of
                            filling out all the paperwork.
                            In fact, it seems to me that this is the first time a detailed application
                            has been filled out by any of the boys, so it is similar to a job
                            application process, complete with SSN! In any case, it is a highly
                            instructive activity for Scouts - whether they pass or not.
                            All in all, we had a great time and enjoyed the evening and I'm sure that
                            all three Scouts will ultimately be licensed - especially since two of them
                            had older brothers who are licensed... hi hi! (FYI: old brothers include
                            KC2NZC and KC2OAA)

                            Back home we have an on-going Ham Radio Class this summer which will help
                            both them and a few others who did not go to camp, get their licenses.

                            Vy 73,
                            Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
                            201.314.6964
                            w2ttt@...