Re: Schedules [ScoutRadio] Re: Scout Camps Calling Protocol

  • Bill Stewart
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 20, 2006
      Fred, Dave, Bob, et al,
      What if we were to change to GMT rather than local time. It might get more contacts
      and possibly more camps.

      Just a thought,

      73,
      Bill, W2BSA

      Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

      Dave, Bob, et al--

      Listened around on both 20m and 40m, called "CQ Scout Camps", but heard nothing except QRM and lightning crashes from nearby thunderstorms. Ironically, the QRM on both 14.285 and 14.290 was from W4 and EA stations. Will check again at 1800 MST (2100 EDT) on both 20 and 40m. Something's gotta click sooner or later.

      73 de Fred K2FRD

      At 7:50 AM -0400 7/20/06, dadsit@adelphia. net wrote:
      >Roger that Fred, we'll be looking for you on 14.285.

      Editor-Publisher
      "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
      http://ocarg. org/

    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 20, 2006
        At 10:06 PM -0400 7/20/06, Bill Stewart wrote:
        >Fred, Dave, Bob, et al,
        >What if we were to change to GMT rather than local time. It might get more contacts
        >and possibly more camps.
        >
        >Just a thought,
        >
        >73,
        >Bill, W2BSA

        Or list both local (i.e., EDT, CDT, MDT, MST [AZ], PDT) and UTC/GMT. We didn't attempt to convert to UTC in the SCCP since with five US and Canadian time zones, we'd have to list five additional UTC times, but when we're addressing specific times, it might be less confusing to add UTC/GMT. I.e., I plan to monitor 14.285 tomorrow (Fri) at 1600 MST (2300Z) to try to contact the 1900 EDT (2300Z) camps.

        73 de Fred K2FRD

        Editor-Publisher
        "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
        http://ocarg.org/
      • Adsit
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 20, 2006
          Bill, Fred, Bob, et al-

          I applaud your efforts to come up on 20m and 40m this evening. When we got up on 40m at 1900 EDT, all we heard was broadcasting which seemed a bit unusual since I don't normally hear them until around 2100 EDT. I called and called and called on 14.287 but no response...could be my setup, location, etc....I'll work on it.

          As Fred says, something will click sooner or later. I'm only at our Scout Camp on Wednesday and Thursday evenings, however, I will have my Troop at camp from July 30-Aug 5 so maybe I'll have more time to play around.

          Thanks again all and appreciate the attempts nonetheless.

          Dave Adsit
          KG4BIR

          Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

          Dave, Bob, et al--

          Listened around on both 20m and 40m, called "CQ Scout Camps", but heard nothing except QRM and lightning crashes from nearby thunderstorms. Ironically, the QRM on both 14.285 and 14.290 was from W4 and EA stations. Will check again at 1800 MST (2100 EDT) on both 20 and 40m. Something's gotta click sooner or later.

          73 de Fred K2FRD

          At 7:50 AM -0400 7/20/06, dadsit@adelphia. net wrote:
          >Roger that Fred, we'll be looking for you on 14.285.

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        • Adsit
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 20, 2006
            Sounds good Fred. I'll be at home but if time allows will also try to monitor from the home QTH.

            Thanks,
            Dave

            At 10:06 PM -0400 7/20/06, Bill Stewart wrote:
            >Fred, Dave, Bob, et al,
            >What if we were to change to GMT rather than local time. It might get more contacts
            >and possibly more camps.
            >
            >Just a thought,
            >
            >73,
            >Bill, W2BSA

            Or list both local (i.e., EDT, CDT, MDT, MST [AZ], PDT) and UTC/GMT. We didn't attempt to convert to UTC in the SCCP since with five US and Canadian time zones, we'd have to list five additional UTC times, but when we're addressing specific times, it might be less confusing to add UTC/GMT. I.e., I plan to monitor 14.285 tomorrow (Fri) at 1600 MST (2300Z) to try to contact the 1900 EDT (2300Z) camps.

            73 de Fred K2FRD

            Editor-Publisher
            "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
            http://ocarg. org/

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • Bob Davidson
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 21, 2006
              No problem here.  I'll be at Camp Powhatan, in the Blue Ridge MT area next week,
              and plan on having some gear with me, so I'll attempt to continue calling and testing
              as the time permits.

              Bob
              KB3KOW

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 21, 2006
                Drat! I'm surrounded by thunderstorms which I understand are a normal almost daily summer occurrence in northern Arizona. Stronger stations were audible over the lightning crashes including 4O Bosnia-Heregovina, but presumably they were pushing power. Will keep listening/calling next week.

                One thing we have to realize is that the SCCP Word has gotten out to relatively few Scout Camps, that not every camp is gonna be able to come up on the air every schedule every day, and the vagaries of summer propagation is gonna make it challenging to contact other camps although it has already been done. Still, I'd like to make contact with at least a few camps before the season is over, so will keep trying.

                73 and YIS,
                Fred K2FRD

                At 11:12 PM -0400 7/20/06, Adsit wrote:
                >Sounds good Fred. I'll be at home but if time allows will also try to monitor from the home QTH.

                Editor-Publisher
                "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
                http://ocarg.org/
              • Kent Davis
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 21, 2006

                  Bob,

                  Just got back from Camp Ottari last week which is the sister camp to Powhatan on the Blue Ridge Mountains Council Reservation.  My QTH is Salem, VA about 40 miles North of Powhatan.    There are repeaters in the area that allow communication on 2 meters from here to the camps, 146.985 (107.2 tone) and 147.135 (100.00 tone) to name a few.  If I can be of assistance let me know.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 21, 2006

                    Sorry for the double post, I forget to identify myself.

                    Bob,

                    Just got back from Camp Ottari last week which is the sister camp to Powhatan on the Blue Ridge Mountains Council Reservation.  My QTH is Salem, VA about 40 miles North of Powhatan.  There are repeaters in the area that allow communication on 2 meters from here to the camps, 146.985 (107.2 tone) and 147.135 (100.00 tone) to name a few.  If I can be of assistance let me know.

                    Kent

                    KI4HWN

                    Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

                    Dave, Bob, et al--

                    Listened around on both 20m and 40m, called "CQ Scout Camps", but heard nothing except QRM and lightning crashes from nearby thunderstorms. Ironically, the QRM on both 14.285 and 14.290 was from W4 and EA stations. Will check again at 1800 MST (2100 EDT) on both 20 and 40m. Something's gotta click sooner or later.

                    73 de Fred K2FRD

                    At 7:50 AM -0400 7/20/06, dadsit@... wrote:
                    >Roger that Fred, we'll be looking for you on 14.285.

                  • J.Blatman
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 21, 2006
                      My father, N1HDP, is operating portable from Horseshoe Scout Reservation in Cecil County MD... working mostly 20 meters QRP.

                      He has been trying the SCCP, the last day or 2, but I don't think he had any success... I'll have him post when he gets back.

                      Jon
                      N3VZG

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 22, 2006
                        I'm going to make a 20 meter dipole and put it up today at our scout camp; see if that helps me get out of that hole our camp sits in.

                        Dave Adsit
                        KG4BIR