JOTA/JOTI dates

  • Dave Colter
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2000
      The JOTA/JOTI events will be held on October 21-22, 2000.

      JOTI, for those who are not familiar with it, is the Jamboree On The
      Internet, which runs concurrently with JOTA. Some groups do only one,
      some do both. We did both last year, and due to poor band conditions
      and some very rude non-partcipants on 20m, we had more fun on JOTI.
      This year, since it is being done at a camporee on a remote hilltop, it
      will only be JOTA for us. If you would like to learn more about JOTI, I
      can direct you to several sites. JOTI uses email, IRC, ICQ and other
      formats. One of the most popular is ScoutLink IRC (of which I am a
      regular user and member). To learn more and get on-line with ScoutLink,
      visit http://www.scoutlink.net . ScoutLink is in use 24/7, but they
      add a bunch of special channels during JOTI to accomodate the tremendous
      increase in numbers. The channels are moderated all the time by a group
      of Scouters from around the world. There are channels for English,
      Dutch, Spanish, Chinese, Italian and Portuguese at present, and a few
      miscellaneous English channels for various Scouting sub-groups. The
      main English channel is called "#jambo", and sees most of the daily
      activity. Look for me there on occasion in the evenings as
      "NHScouter". It's a great bunch of folks - a few of us are hams, too.
      There is also a remailer dedicated to JOTI called "joti@egroups.com",
      which sees heavy international use for several months before and after
      JOTI, but little the rest of the year (sound familiar?).
      Dave WA1ZCN
      Scoutmaster, Troop 71 New London, NH
      http://www.geocites.com/nhscouter
      http://www.scouttraveler.org