JOTA 2006

  • Rob Hoitt
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 8, 2006
      All;
      Does anyone have an image of the 2006 JOTA logo? I am beginning to print up our council promotional materials to hand out at our roundtables, and like to include the official logo...

      Thanks!

      --
      Rob Hoitt
      Assistant Section Manager - Scouting
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 8, 2006
        Rob, it can be downloaded from here: http://home.hetnet.nl/~richard.middelkoop/ .

        At 6:00 PM -0400 7/8/06, Rob Hoitt wrote:
        >All;
        >Does anyone have an image of the 2006 JOTA logo? I am beginning to print up our council promotional materials to hand out at our roundtables, and like to include the official logo...

        Editor-Publisher
        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm
      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 8, 2006
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Hoitt" <robhoitt@...> wrote:

          > All;
          > Does anyone have an image of the 2006 JOTA logo? I am beginning to
          print up
          > our council promotional materials to hand out at our roundtables,
          and like
          > to include the official logo...

          Rob:

          Fred has pointed you to the World Scout Bureau logo for the 49th
          JOTA, which you'll have to use for now.

          The BSA patch design is usually first posted on this web page:

          http://www.scouting.org/international/22-218.html

          in late July or early August. That's where I lift it from each
          year. The 2005 BSA one is in the library here, but I haven't seen
          the 2006 one yet.

          BTW the library here also has a Microsoft Word JOTA promotional
          flyer that you can download and rework for your area. No need to
          reinvent the wheel.

          73

          Gary, K2GW
        • Larry Worthington (KC9HDP)
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 9, 2006
            If you click on the printer friendly version the BSA logo for JOTA 2006 in black and white is contained in that if you can extract it some how.

            Larry
            KC9HDP
            Advancement Chair
            Troop 11
            La Crosse, WI

            anyone have an image of the 2006 JOTA logo? I am beginning to
            print up
            > our council promotional materials to hand out at our roundtables,
            and like
            > to include the official logo...

            Rob:

            Fred has pointed you to the World Scout Bureau logo for the 49th
            JOTA, which you'll have to use for now.

            The BSA patch design is usually first posted on this web page:

            http://www.scouting .org/internation al/22-218. html

            in late July or early August. That's where I lift it from each
            year. The 2005 BSA one is in the library here, but I haven't seen
            the 2006 one yet.

            BTW the library here also has a Microsoft Word JOTA promotional
            flyer that you can download and rework for your area. No need to
            reinvent the wheel.

            73

            Gary, K2GW

          • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 9, 2006
              Hi Larry, et. al...

              I didn't see the patch until I went to the printer friendly version, like you mentioned...

              I pulled it out of the .pdf and cleaned the text from around it.  My Photoshop talents are limited.  I'm guessing that anyone with a creative mind a bit more talent than me could color it to their liking until we see the original artist's rendition.

              The pic is located in the Photos area, under Yahoo Photo Album.

              See if this shortcut will get you all there -

              Fraternally,

              Jon Pearl - W4ABC

              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 9, 2006
                Good shot, Jon. Yeah, I did the same thing. but just used a cropped screenshot (Grab in Macese). I'm functionally/mentally color blind, absolutely no artist, so will be interested to see what someone comes up with, color-wise. I'm sure somebody has the original on their desk at National, but I really don't like waiting until the last month or two before JOTA before they release it. I try to get JOTA publicity going in the spring.

                73 de Fred K2FRD

                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 9, 2006
                  Brilliant job everyone! That B&W is just what I needed. The last couple of years  the international office emailed me a logo in May when I asked for it... Two years ago I had a patch in hand at the beginning of June. This year they haven't been so helpful...

                  Thanks for all your help! Keep an ear out for N1S/WB1BSA!

                  Very 73!
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 9, 2006
                    Rob et al--

                    I played around with some coloring of the B&W patch and came up with the following (I included both the B&W and color version). Two formats: lightly compressed jpeg and, for those who want a larger file so that you can do some coloring of your own, in Bitmap (720 kb). If anyone wants the original Appleworks to play with, I can send it direct (1 mb). With the BMP, someone with any graphics program can change the colors (MS Paint, MacPaint, Photoshop, etc). I have no idea what National intended for the original colors (black and white is fine for paper publications, but I need color for the EAGLE); whatever they planned, I'm sure my colors aren't what they had in mind. Seven colors (six if plain cloth red background), piece o' cake for a computerized patch machine, but expensive. Please remember this is completely unofficial.

                    http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/JOTA06PATCH.jpg

                    http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/JOTA06PATCH.bmp

                    73 and YIS de Fred

                    At 9:11 PM -0400 7/9/06, Rob Hoitt wrote:
                    >Brilliant job everyone! That B&W is just what I needed. The last couple of years the international office emailed me a logo in May when I asked for it... Two years ago I had a patch in hand at the beginning of June. This year they haven't been so helpful...
                    >
                    >Thanks for all your help! Keep an ear out for N1S/WB1BSA!
                    >
                    >Very 73!
                    >Rob Hoitt
                    >Assistant Section Manager - Scouting
                    >ARRL New Hampshire Section

                    Editor-Publisher
                    http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm
                  • Scott Hedberg
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 10, 2006
                      Does anyone have any examples of promotional material I can use to generate
                      interest amongst the local troops here?

                      73 Scott AD7MI
                    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 10, 2006

                        Scott, one place to start for promotional downloads: http://home.hetnet.nl/~richard.middelkoop/

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 11, 2006
                          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hedberg"
                          <scotthedberg@...> wrote:

                          > Does anyone have any examples of promotional material I can use to
                          generate
                          > interest amongst the local troops here?
                          >
                          > 73 Scott AD7MI

                          Here's what I found in the files section of this Yahoo Group in the
                          JOTA folder described as "Materials for Promoting JOTA' ;-)

                          http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wJKzRCe1yTEmqPp4fRr9Hq0QWQ2hdcgSvXx3QZJl
                          WsKLQZumlo0wfVBOS4At4ZznGBanDhM-DzjefxOUE9lq77Ko8w/JOTA%20/JOTA%
                          20Pamphlet.doc

                          It's in MS Word and just needs to be updated with the newly found
                          logo for 2006 and adjusted for your own locations and times.

                          73

                          Gary, K2GW

                          PS. For those of you who think of this as just an e-mail list, I
                          strongly advise you to go www.groups.yahoo.com and look through the
                          files and pictures section of Scout Radio for tons of material you
                          can use for JOTA and Radio Merit Badge.
                        • Jon Robert Pellant
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 11, 2006
                            Fred,

                            Cool. Another neat thing you can do is to create cooler versions of
                            the patch to incent scouts to get the MB or certified.

                            Participant: Color patch
                            Merit Badge: Silver Ghost patch
                            Tech License: Reverse Ghost patch

                            Everyone will want a ghost patch (becuase they are cool) and this
                            will incent them to get more involved.

                            $0.02,
                            Jon
                            AB1FF
                            NE-I-209 Eagle

                            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Rob et al--
                            >
                            > I played around with some coloring of the B&W patch and came up
                            with the following (I included both the B&W and color version). Two
                            formats: lightly compressed jpeg and, for those who want a larger
                            file so that you can do some coloring of your own, in Bitmap (720
                            kb). If anyone wants the original Appleworks to play with, I can
                            send it direct (1 mb). With the BMP, someone with any graphics
                            program can change the colors (MS Paint, MacPaint, Photoshop, etc).
                            I have no idea what National intended for the original colors (black
                            and white is fine for paper publications, but I need color for the
                            EAGLE); whatever they planned, I'm sure my colors aren't what they
                            had in mind. Seven colors (six if plain cloth red background), piece
                            o' cake for a computerized patch machine, but expensive. Please
                            remember this is completely unofficial.

                            > http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/JOTA06PATCH.jpg
                            >
                            > http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/JOTA06PATCH.bmp
                            >
                            > 73 and YIS de Fred
                            <snip/>
                          • ClayMayrose@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 11, 2006
                              Are the JOTA patches available for purchase?
                            • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 11, 2006
                                At 2:09 PM +0000 7/11/06, Jon Robert Pellant wrote:
                                >Fred,
                                >
                                >Cool. Another neat thing you can do is to create cooler versions of
                                >the patch to incent scouts to get the MB or certified.
                                >
                                >Participant: Color patch
                                >Merit Badge: Silver Ghost patch
                                >Tech License: Reverse Ghost patch
                                >
                                >Everyone will want a ghost patch (becuase they are cool) and this
                                >will incent them to get more involved.

                                OK, I'll be the first to ask: What is a ghost patch? And especially, a reverse ghost patch? I got a feeling they're beyond my very limited (read: non-existent) artistic talents (not to mention my psychic [some say psychotic] abilities). 8-) I like the notion, however; the concept is haunting and out of this world, but I'm afraid it won't have a ghost of a chance at BSA National. :-!

                                73 and YIS, Fred

                                Editor-Publisher
                                http://ocarg.org/
                              • Bill Stewart
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 11, 2006
                                  Fred,
                                  A "ghost patch" is one where the design is sewn in all one color
                                  usually in White or silver but still has the embroidery in it. You have to look at it
                                  at certain angles to see the design or run your fingers over it to feel the design.
                                  I have never seen a Reverse Ghost patch so I don't really have a good idea what it is
                                  but I'm guessing that it's like a photo negative.
                                  I hope that helps.

                                  73 and YiS, Bill

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 11, 2006
                                    At 9:51 PM -0400 7/11/06, Bill Stewart wrote:
                                    >Fred,
                                    >A "ghost patch" is one where the design is sewn in all one color
                                    >usually in White or silver but still has the embroidery in it. You have to look at it
                                    >at certain angles to see the design or run your fingers over it to feel the design.
                                    >I have never seen a Reverse Ghost patch so I don't really have a good idea what it is
                                    >but I'm guessing that it's like a photo negative.
                                    >I hope that helps.
                                    >
                                    >73 and YiS, Bill

                                    Is that all? I can draw one of those. Here 'tis: http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/GhostPatch.jpg . Ya gotta tip it at an angle to see the design, but it's there, I swear!*

                                    Don't know about the Reverse Ghost patch.

                                    ;-) :-D 73 and YIS,
                                    Fred

                                    *Think of the Emperor's new clothes.

                                    Editor-Publisher
                                    http://ocarg.org/
                                  • Gary Wilson
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 12, 2006
                                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Bill Stewart <w2bsa@...> wrote:

                                      > A "ghost patch" is one where the design is sewn in all one color
                                      > usually in White or silver but still has the embroidery in it.

                                      That and ones using photosensitive thread are the gimmicks used on
                                      locally produced patches what has become the overly obsessive patch
                                      trading at jambo's and such.

                                      Just to get everybody back on track as to how the JOTA participant
                                      patch works, it's a regular full color color BSA National patch
                                      available for purchase for $4.00 from the International Division of
                                      BSA Headquarters at http://www.scouting.org/international/22-
                                      218.html after August 1.

                                      BSA patch designs are copyrighted, so making your own ghost or
                                      whatever is a no-no.

                                      BTW, does anyone else have mixed feelings that this years BSA patch
                                      mixes JOTA and JOTI together on one patch for the first time? I
                                      guess the real reason for the event is to get Scouts to talk to one
                                      another, but I always liked to use it to showcase Amateur Radio.

                                      73

                                      Gary, K2GW
                                    • Home Email
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 12, 2006
                                        LOL, Fred, my thoughts exactly!! The first time I saw one my first question was why do this when you can
                                        barely see it or not at all. We did it for one camporee and that was it. We haven't done one since.

                                        73 and YiS
                                        Bill, W2BSA

                                        Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

                                        At 9:51 PM -0400 7/11/06, Bill Stewart wrote:
                                        >Fred,
                                        >A "ghost patch" is one where the design is sewn in all one color
                                        >usually in White or silver but still has the embroidery in it. You have to look at it
                                        >at certain angles to see the design or run your fingers over it to feel the design.
                                        >I have never seen a Reverse Ghost patch so I don't really have a good idea what it is
                                        >but I'm guessing that it's like a photo negative.
                                        >I hope that helps.
                                        >
                                        >73 and YiS, Bill

                                        Is that all? I can draw one of those. Here 'tis: http://homepage. mac.com/k2frd/ GhostPatch. jpg . Ya gotta tip it at an angle to see the design, but it's there, I swear!*

                                        Don't know about the Reverse Ghost patch.

                                        ;-) :-D 73 and YIS,
                                        Fred

                                        *Think of the Emperor's new clothes.

                                        Editor-Publisher
                                        http://ocarg. org/

                                      • Al Katzman
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 12, 2006
                                          After August 1 on a first come first serve basis until the supply is exhausted.  You can also get cards to hand out to the scouts for free.  check the national bsa site for the JOTA information.

                                          ClayMayrose@... wrote:
                                          Are the JOTA patches available for purchase?

                                          Do you Yahoo!?

                                        • Lee
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Aug 11, 2006
                                            Hello All,

                                            Yep, I am a new b to the group. I am putting together the JOTA effort
                                            in the Old North State area of NC. So any pointers will be welcome.

                                            73,
                                            Lee

                                            kd4gcf
                                          • Frank Krizan
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Aug 11, 2006

                                              Howdy Lee,

                                              Welcome to the Group.  You’ll find a lot of pointers by doing some searches in the ScoutRadio archives.  As to specifics, I would suggest you give us an idea of what you have in mind (i.e., how many scouts, one or multiple locations, number and type of stations, Radio Merit Badge workshop/class, etc.).

                                              A good starting point is the ARRL scout pages: http://www.arrl.org/ead/#scout

                                              The National BSA JOTA pages are at: http://www.scouting.org/international/22-218.html

                                              73, Frank KR1ZAN

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Aug 11, 2006
                                                Lee
                                                We had a very successful JOTA last year. We set up 2 HF stations & 1
                                                VHF station. We did a mini field day type of setup. Generator power,
                                                Portable antennas ( Buddie pole, dipole), etc. During the morning we
                                                also had a Radio Merit badge class, in the afternoon the class went out
                                                to the JOTA stations and made contacts. We advertised the station on
                                                the District www site, the City calendar, etc. We had about 80 scouts
                                                come out and participate, 8 got their RMB. of those that got their RMB
                                                several went on to get their Tech class licenses.

                                                Allan R. Batteiger
                                                WB5QNG

                                                Lee wrote:
                                                > Hello All,
                                                >
                                                > Yep, I am a new b to the group. I am putting together the JOTA effort
                                                > in the Old North State area of NC. So any pointers will be welcome.
                                                >
                                                > 73,
                                                > Lee
                                                >
                                                > kd4gcf

                                              • Paul Finch
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Aug 12, 2006
                                                  When is JOTA, the website has very little traffic on it.

                                                  Paul

                                                  Yep, I am a new b to the group. I am putting together the JOTA effort in the
                                                  Old North State area of NC. So any pointers will be welcome.

                                                  73,
                                                  Lee

                                                  kd4gcf

                                                  SCOUTING and AMATEUR RADIO - FUN FOR ALL AGES Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                • Frank Krizan
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Aug 12, 2006

                                                    Hi Paul,

                                                    JOTA is always the third FULL weekend of October.  So, for 2006 it’s October 21-22.

                                                    More info at http://www.scouting.org/international/22-218.html  and at http://www.arrl.org/ead/#scout

                                                    73, Frank KR1ZAN

                                                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/radio- scouting- uk

                                                    to http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ScoutRadio Youth

                                                    http://www.ontarget bsa.org/

                                                    http://www.k1dwu. net/ham-links/ clubs.-.scouting .phtml

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Aug 12, 2006
                                                      Frank,

                                                      Thanks.  I have to many "functions" going on on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd weekend of each month.  It's hard to keep them all straight.

                                                      Dang it!  I will be in California that weekend at a Austin/Bantam car meet, actually driving back from Santa Maria.  I will try and get the other Hams in our club involved, if nothing else I can have my mobile ready to go by then and make a few contacts.

                                                      Paul

                                                      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
                                                    • Lee
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Aug 12, 2006
                                                        Howdy Frank,

                                                        Well, my plan. I intend to have my 706 on HF energizing my 20 and 40
                                                        meter dipoles. I plan to have others helping with VHF voice and
                                                        packet. I figure the competition for HF frequencies may make VHF
                                                        easier to insure the scouts get some voice time. That is it for my
                                                        radio station.

                                                        I really do not know yet how many scouts I will have. I know one
                                                        troop of 20 but the scout master has mentioned it at round table and
                                                        will be getting a number from there.

                                                        I intend to have (make) posters that "answer" the question for Radio
                                                        merit badge. I do not believe in merit badge classes but I can have
                                                        the information for the scouts to read and ask questions for clarity.
                                                        I hope in this way they will gather the answers for themselves and
                                                        then during JOTA we do the "do" parts so they have it done if they
                                                        take the hint.

                                                        So I guess when I ask for hints I am asking what I should expect.
                                                        Should I call CQ or try to find a station calling. How much time does
                                                        it take to go over what should be told about HAM radio and what are
                                                        the high lights I should tell. I want it to be interesting and
                                                        informative but not long and boring :-) I know to do to cover
                                                        requirement 8 of the merit badge but beyond that. I know to keep the
                                                        transmissions professional. I have read the list on the JOTA web
                                                        sites
                                                        as to conversation points and will have them there for review but....
                                                        with so little time (if I have lots of scouts) I would ideas to keeps
                                                        them from becoming bored, Anti-climatic.

                                                        Well have I helped you understand my concerns?

                                                        73,
                                                        Lee
                                                        kd4gcf

                                                        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Krizan" <frank.krizan@...>
                                                        wrote:

                                                        > Howdy Lee,
                                                        >
                                                        > Welcome to the Group. You'll find a lot of pointers by doing some
                                                        searches in the ScoutRadio archives. As to specifics, I would
                                                        suggest you give us an idea of what you have in mind (i.e., how many
                                                        scouts, one or multiple locations, number and type of stations, Radio
                                                        Merit Badge workshop/class, etc.).

                                                        > A good starting point is the ARRL scout pages:
                                                        > http://www.arrl.org/ead/#scout
                                                        >
                                                        > The National BSA JOTA pages are at:
                                                        > http://www.scouting.org/international/22-218.html
                                                        >
                                                        > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                                                      • Allan R. Batteiger
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Aug 12, 2006
                                                          Lee
                                                          We had a Ham operator act as a greeter at our JOTA last year. Thye
                                                          handed out information on Amateur Radio, explained what JOTA was all
                                                          about, etc. He would also take the scout(s) around to the stations and
                                                          introduce them an get them setup to make a contact or 2. Some of them
                                                          once they got started were hooked on Amateur radio. If you have any I
                                                          would suggest this be a Licensed Scout. Since they are much closer to
                                                          the visiting scouts age they tend to be easier to approach.

                                                          Allan
                                                          WB5QNG

                                                        • Frank Krizan
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Aug 12, 2006

                                                            Howdy Lee, et al,

                                                            Here’s what we do at K2BSA at Camp Wisdom in Dallas :

                                                            Because of propagation, camp activities, staffing, etc. we allow groups (Patrol size 6 to 10) of scouts (Cub Scouts, Webelos, Boy Scouts, Venturers, Explorers) to sign up for a one-hour increment from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sat. and 8 a.m. to Noon on Sun.  The sign up is handled by the local Council (Circle Ten in Dallas ).  When they sign up, the Council sends them an info sheet with the “rules.”

                                                            Groups are required to attend with at least two adults for supervision.  Similar to what Allen mentioned, we greet the group when they arrive, give one of the adults an attendance/information form to fill out with the Unit ID, address and names of people there.  A “greeter” asks who’s familiar with Ham Radio or has talked on Ham Radio.  CB and Family Radio Service (FRS) are mentioned.  The greeter gives them an idea of what to expect and acquaints the scouts with use of a microphone.  We have found from experience that having a printed list of questions or things to find out from other scouts/scouters/troops/Packs/etc and asking scouts to select three questions to get the answers to really helps.

                                                            The visiting group is kept outside the K2BSA shack and entertained in various ways – one way is to provide the audio from the XCVR’s monitor port to an amplified speaker. We also use a closed circuit or low power ATV system so the scouts outside can see what their buddies are doing inside.  The first 10 to 15 minutes of their visit is getting briefed.  During that time, an operator tries to arrange for a contact either by calling CQ JOTA or listening for someone calling CQ.  We don’t usually hang around the Scout Calling Frequencies, but, tune 15 to 30 kHz away.  Sometimes, we go down to the Extra portion of the band and find someone calling CQ, brief them on our scouts needing to talk with a Ham and have a very pleasant QSO.  The 17m band is a great band for JOTA, BTW.

                                                            Then, we bring in scouts in groups of 3 with one on the mike and the other two watching what’s happening.  When the first scout is finished, he goes back outside and is given a participation card and whatever other souvenirs we have.  That scout is now “experienced” and can appreciate what he sees on the TV monitor outside.  Keeping scouts outside the shack cuts down on the noise.

                                                            For Radio MB , each scout is to carry on a real or simulated QSO of at least 10 minutes.  So, for Boy Scout groups, we usually limit their size to 3 or 4 per hour.  We’ve also found that Webelos are the most interested in Ham Radio communications.  They are better communicators and haven’t been exposed to the internet and cell phones to a great extent.

                                                            K2BSA in the Greater Dallas area promotes clubs setting up stations for communities or promoting their members opening up their stations for Patrols, Dens or small groups.

                                                            Operating needs to be scheduled or else, as you’ve pointed out, the scouts get bored standing around.  Sometimes, propagation is horrible.  We use HT to HT to give scouts a chance to talk.  We have even used FRS radios to allow scouts to talk with each other to 1) get the 10 min QSO in and 2) to practice talking on the radio.  It is a way to entertain scouts while they wait for their turn to talk.  We often use local IRLP nodes to connect to other states, countries, etc.   BUT – don’t forget the Third Party Agreement limitations.  Local repeaters are also handy.

                                                            A laptop or other computer running a CW decoder program is a great way to entertain and challenge scouts.  We use a Morse audio oscillator and a hand key with a mike feeding the laptop and something like HamScope.  The Ham shows sending his/her name and how the computer displays the letters.  Then, the scout is challenged to send their name or something.  We’ve found it’s really entertaining and curious how fascinated they are with Morse Code.  In some years, when we have a lot of scouts coming in, we give them a Morse Code character sheet and show them how to send the Morse characters with a Wig Wag flag or flashlight.  Then, the scouts are separated by some distance and asked to send a message back and forth.  It’s a challenge and very rewarding for them.

                                                            BTW, a couple of reasons for the sign in form mentioned earlier.  It helps you with your end of JOTA report to the ARRL and National JOTA coordinator, plus, many Hams you’ll talk with will send photos, QSL cards, etc and without the unit info, you won’t know who to send it to.

                                                            To handle the drop ins or to just have fun or give the licensed scouts who want to help out, we often set up a PSK-31 station as well as an APRS station to make contacts.  Bob Bruninga usually announces and requests that digipeater managers allow the aliases of SCOUT or SCOUTS to be open so you can CQ to SCOUT and get digi’d all over the US .  Then, you call the respective station.  Lots of fun.  We also try to get licensed scouts to make or help with LEO satellite contacts or contacts with the ISS.

                                                            We usually have an adult greeter who works with the adults there to brief them on Ham Radio, licensing, local Venturing Crews dedicated to Ham Radio, etc.  We often find adults who are licensed and would like to help during the year and next JOTA.

                                                            Hope this helps.

                                                            73, Frank KR1ZAN

                                                            President, K2BSA Amateur Radio Association

                                                            wrote:

                                                            > Howdy Lee,
                                                            >
                                                            > Welcome to the Group. You'll find a lot of pointers by doing some
                                                            searches in the ScoutRadio archives. As to specifics, I would
                                                            suggest you give us an idea of what you have in mind (i.e., how many
                                                            scouts, one or multiple locations, number and type of stations, Radio
                                                            Merit Badge workshop/class, etc.).

                                                            > A good starting point is the ARRL scout pages:
                                                            > http://www.arrl. org/ead/# scout
                                                            >
                                                            > The National BSA JOTA pages are at:
                                                            > http://www.scouting .org/internation al/22-218. html
                                                            >
                                                            > 73, Frank KR1ZAN

                                                          • Ken Skinner
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Oct 13, 2006
                                                              Hey all.  I will be operating from George W. Pirtle Scout Reservation in Northeast Texas for JOTA.  I have about 50 scouts coming out and hope to teach the Radio merit badge in full to about 1/2 of them.  Will probably call on 14.290 and then move off to another frequency.  Look forward to talking to some of you.  Probably get started around 10am on Saturday.

                                                              By the way, if anyway is interested, the Panola County ARC will be operating a special event station at the Jim Reeves' Memorial just east of Carthage TX on Saturday, October 28, starting at 9am and working most of the day.  We will be sending out numbered certificates to commerate the event (in exchange for a SASE).  Not sure which frequencies we will be using, but will let you all know asap.

                                                              Yours in Scouting,

                                                              Ken Skinner N5OW
                                                              Ranger, Camp Pirtle
                                                              President, Panola County ARC