Re: [ScoutRadio] hi everyone

  • Bill Stewart
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8, 2006
      Outstanding brian! Welcome to the group. You will find plenty of good
      people here who are more than willing to answer questions about ham radio
      and encourage you on your Scouting trail to Eagle. Most of us are Scout
      or Venturing Leaders and some are from other parts of the world. Most are
      willing to set up schedules to make radio contacts. Check out the ARRL website
      at http://www.arrl.org and Venturing Crew 80's website at http:www.w3bsa.org
      they can help get you started.

      Again Welcome,

      Bill Stewart, W2BSA, Venturing Crew 80, Alexandria, VA

      ki4fmjham wrote:

      while hi everyone i found the group through the arrrl. a little info
      about me . my name is brian my call sign is ki4fmj and my licence is
      techican but i am working on that to general . i am a 3 year boy scout
      at the rank of star and i enjoy getting active in boy scouts and ham
      radio . i live in s.w. florida and our last jota station we had 1 non
      ham . i hope and wish if anyone has any info or ideas to get that
      number up . thank you .

      brian murray ki4fmj
      troop 80

    • Gary Wilson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8, 2006
        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "ki4fmjham" <ki4fmj@...> wrote:
        > our last jota station we had 1 non
        > ham . i hope and wish if anyone has any info or ideas to get that
        > number up . thank you .

        Hi Brian!

        Here are three ideas to help increase participation at JOTA.

        1. Consider bringing JOTA to the Scouts by setting up a portable
        station at a camporee of camping trip if there is one that weekend.

        2. Your council probably has an "e-mail patrol " or similar list for
        leaders. Write a short invitation and ask your Scoutmaster to have it
        sentin early September and a reminder in early October.

        3. Remind the Scouts that JOTA is considered an "Interational
        Scouting Event" sponsored by the World Scout Bureau, so it not only
        helps them towards Radio Merit Badge, but also counts toward the Eagle
        required Citizenship in the World!

        73 & YIS,

        Gary, K2GW
      • DaleLamm
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2006
          Brian wrote:

          ...our last jota station we had 1 non ham . i hope and wish if anyone
          has any info or ideas to get that number up . thank you .

          Here's what our radio club does to maximize JOTA participation:

          Contact local council office to see what groups are camping on JOTA
          weekend. If multiple events, pick the one with the most troops
          involved, such as a camporee. Ask council how to contact the person
          running the event. Call that person, introduce yourself and JOTA (if
          needed), ask permission to set up at the event. Do a site survey
          BEFORE the day of the event. ("Be prepared"). Pick a site hospitable
          to RF takeoff and near a high traffic area. My favorite location is
          near the dining hall or trading post. Don't hide your operation, ham
          radio is nothing to be ashamed of! Set up on a spacious table, such as
          a picnic table, with room for visitors to sit and operate. Bring a
          rain fly, too. Put up signage telling who you are (Smallville Amateur
          Radio Club, Venture Crew 73, etc). Staff the event with high energy
          operators who like kids and the hobby. This is not the place for
          mumblers. Wear a uniform if you are a registered scout or scouter. Ask
          the event organizer to mention your operation at the "cracker barrel"
          or whatever means possible. Have received audio playing on a good
          speaker, not strictly on headphones. Keep the area neat and orderly
          (no food wrappers). Have chairs for your guest's comfort. Bring along
          extra radio stuff (the stranger, the better) to spark discussion.
          Smile and engage passers by.

          There are other things that can be done to bring people to you, but
          these come to mind first. Every JOTA I have been involved with
          resulted in many visits by scouts and adults. Don't forget throat
          lozenges. If everything works, you'll be hoarse. Good luck!
        • ylradioscout
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
            I would like to introduce myself- Jill Raymer Scoutmaster and KC8PVQ
            and Trustee of call W8BSC of Camp Greilick BSA camp. We have had a
            station at summer camp for 6 years running and this year we have new
            digs- The Cherryland ARC of Traverse City Mi spearheaded a new large
            (16X24 ) shack for us. We have Two Kenwoods 570 (D) (S) and a 2m 440
            rig , two Yagi beams 20 m and 6m and an 80 meter loop antenna. Picture
            in feb qst.
            I was staff at K2BSA National Jamboree station with a very dedicated
            group of ham scouters and I thought that ARRL had already picked a
            chairman for the scouts.
            I started in radio after I took my troop to a neighours house for
            Jota. Thank you K8WZS for a great inspiring presentation. within one
            month I was a ham and 3 months a general.
            I also have my woodbadge (I used to be a bear) and look forward to
            takling to other scouts with the new scout camp protocals. We are in
            camp for the whole month of July.
            73 Jill
          • Fred Stevens K2FRD
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
              At 10:31 AM +0000 7/9/06, ylradioscout wrote:
              >I would like to introduce myself- Jill Raymer Scoutmaster and KC8PVQ
              >and Trustee of call W8BSC of Camp Greilick BSA camp. We have had a
              >station at summer camp for 6 years running and this year we have new
              >digs- The Cherryland ARC of Traverse City Mi spearheaded a new large
              >(16X24 ) shack for us. We have Two Kenwoods 570 (D) (S) and a 2m 440
              >rig , two Yagi beams 20 m and 6m and an 80 meter loop antenna. Picture
              >in feb qst.
              >I was staff at K2BSA National Jamboree station with a very dedicated
              >group of ham scouters and I thought that ARRL had already picked a
              >chairman for the scouts.
              >I started in radio after I took my troop to a neighours house for
              >Jota. Thank you K8WZS for a great inspiring presentation. within one
              >month I was a ham and 3 months a general.
              >I also have my woodbadge (I used to be a bear) and look forward to
              >takling to other scouts with the new scout camp protocals. We are in
              >camp for the whole month of July.
              >73 Jill

              Welcome to the group, Jill. These are exciting times for ham-Scouting with the new SCCP, Boy Scout's 100th coming up next year, BSA's 100th in 2010 (preparations already underway), and a bunch of other things.

              I am wondering: Do you have a website for your Troop or W8BSC you could post to the group? We're trying to collect, list, and eventually post URLs of all ham-Scouting units and organizations with ties to ham-Scouting.

              Editor-Publisher
              http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm
            • Al Katzman
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12, 2006
                My welcome also, Jill.  KA8JJN -- K2BSA Jambo Staff