hi everyone

  • ki4fmjham
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8, 2006
      while hi everyone i found the group through the arrrl. a little info
      about me . my name is brian my call sign is ki4fmj and my licence is
      techican but i am working on that to general . i am a 3 year boy scout
      at the rank of star and i enjoy getting active in boy scouts and ham
      radio . i live in s.w. florida and our last jota station we had 1 non
      ham . i hope and wish if anyone has any info or ideas to get that
      number up . thank you .

      brian murray ki4fmj
      troop 80
    • Bill Stewart
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8, 2006
        Outstanding brian! Welcome to the group. You will find plenty of good
        people here who are more than willing to answer questions about ham radio
        and encourage you on your Scouting trail to Eagle. Most of us are Scout
        or Venturing Leaders and some are from other parts of the world. Most are
        willing to set up schedules to make radio contacts. Check out the ARRL website
        at http://www.arrl.org and Venturing Crew 80's website at http:www.w3bsa.org
        they can help get you started.

        Again Welcome,

        Bill Stewart, W2BSA, Venturing Crew 80, Alexandria, VA

        ki4fmjham wrote:

        while hi everyone i found the group through the arrrl. a little info
        about me . my name is brian my call sign is ki4fmj and my licence is
        techican but i am working on that to general . i am a 3 year boy scout
        at the rank of star and i enjoy getting active in boy scouts and ham
        radio . i live in s.w. florida and our last jota station we had 1 non
        ham . i hope and wish if anyone has any info or ideas to get that
        number up . thank you .

        brian murray ki4fmj
        troop 80

      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2006
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "ki4fmjham" <ki4fmj@...> wrote:
          > our last jota station we had 1 non
          > ham . i hope and wish if anyone has any info or ideas to get that
          > number up . thank you .

          Hi Brian!

          Here are three ideas to help increase participation at JOTA.

          1. Consider bringing JOTA to the Scouts by setting up a portable
          station at a camporee of camping trip if there is one that weekend.

          2. Your council probably has an "e-mail patrol " or similar list for
          leaders. Write a short invitation and ask your Scoutmaster to have it
          sentin early September and a reminder in early October.

          3. Remind the Scouts that JOTA is considered an "Interational
          Scouting Event" sponsored by the World Scout Bureau, so it not only
          helps them towards Radio Merit Badge, but also counts toward the Eagle
          required Citizenship in the World!

          73 & YIS,

          Gary, K2GW
        • DaleLamm
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 8, 2006
            Brian wrote:

            ...our last jota station we had 1 non ham . i hope and wish if anyone
            has any info or ideas to get that number up . thank you .

            Here's what our radio club does to maximize JOTA participation:

            Contact local council office to see what groups are camping on JOTA
            weekend. If multiple events, pick the one with the most troops
            involved, such as a camporee. Ask council how to contact the person
            running the event. Call that person, introduce yourself and JOTA (if
            needed), ask permission to set up at the event. Do a site survey
            BEFORE the day of the event. ("Be prepared"). Pick a site hospitable
            to RF takeoff and near a high traffic area. My favorite location is
            near the dining hall or trading post. Don't hide your operation, ham
            radio is nothing to be ashamed of! Set up on a spacious table, such as
            a picnic table, with room for visitors to sit and operate. Bring a
            rain fly, too. Put up signage telling who you are (Smallville Amateur
            Radio Club, Venture Crew 73, etc). Staff the event with high energy
            operators who like kids and the hobby. This is not the place for
            mumblers. Wear a uniform if you are a registered scout or scouter. Ask
            the event organizer to mention your operation at the "cracker barrel"
            or whatever means possible. Have received audio playing on a good
            speaker, not strictly on headphones. Keep the area neat and orderly
            (no food wrappers). Have chairs for your guest's comfort. Bring along
            extra radio stuff (the stranger, the better) to spark discussion.
            Smile and engage passers by.

            There are other things that can be done to bring people to you, but
            these come to mind first. Every JOTA I have been involved with
            resulted in many visits by scouts and adults. Don't forget throat
            lozenges. If everything works, you'll be hoarse. Good luck!
          • ylradioscout
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
              I would like to introduce myself- Jill Raymer Scoutmaster and KC8PVQ
              and Trustee of call W8BSC of Camp Greilick BSA camp. We have had a
              station at summer camp for 6 years running and this year we have new
              digs- The Cherryland ARC of Traverse City Mi spearheaded a new large
              (16X24 ) shack for us. We have Two Kenwoods 570 (D) (S) and a 2m 440
              rig , two Yagi beams 20 m and 6m and an 80 meter loop antenna. Picture
              in feb qst.
              I was staff at K2BSA National Jamboree station with a very dedicated
              group of ham scouters and I thought that ARRL had already picked a
              chairman for the scouts.
              I started in radio after I took my troop to a neighours house for
              Jota. Thank you K8WZS for a great inspiring presentation. within one
              month I was a ham and 3 months a general.
              I also have my woodbadge (I used to be a bear) and look forward to
              takling to other scouts with the new scout camp protocals. We are in
              camp for the whole month of July.
              73 Jill
            • Fred Stevens K2FRD
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
                At 10:31 AM +0000 7/9/06, ylradioscout wrote:
                >I would like to introduce myself- Jill Raymer Scoutmaster and KC8PVQ
                >and Trustee of call W8BSC of Camp Greilick BSA camp. We have had a
                >station at summer camp for 6 years running and this year we have new
                >digs- The Cherryland ARC of Traverse City Mi spearheaded a new large
                >(16X24 ) shack for us. We have Two Kenwoods 570 (D) (S) and a 2m 440
                >rig , two Yagi beams 20 m and 6m and an 80 meter loop antenna. Picture
                >in feb qst.
                >I was staff at K2BSA National Jamboree station with a very dedicated
                >group of ham scouters and I thought that ARRL had already picked a
                >chairman for the scouts.
                >I started in radio after I took my troop to a neighours house for
                >Jota. Thank you K8WZS for a great inspiring presentation. within one
                >month I was a ham and 3 months a general.
                >I also have my woodbadge (I used to be a bear) and look forward to
                >takling to other scouts with the new scout camp protocals. We are in
                >camp for the whole month of July.
                >73 Jill

                Welcome to the group, Jill. These are exciting times for ham-Scouting with the new SCCP, Boy Scout's 100th coming up next year, BSA's 100th in 2010 (preparations already underway), and a bunch of other things.

                I am wondering: Do you have a website for your Troop or W8BSC you could post to the group? We're trying to collect, list, and eventually post URLs of all ham-Scouting units and organizations with ties to ham-Scouting.

                Editor-Publisher
                http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm
              • Al Katzman
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 12, 2006
                  My welcome also, Jill.  KA8JJN -- K2BSA Jambo Staff