Re: [ScoutRadio] New Members...

  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 8, 2006
      Bill, as a League Section Manager and active Scouter, have you considered posting the SCCP to your monthly Section Newsletter? We can use all the coverage we can get from any source. We're already seeing positive effects of the SCCP's publication/posting on this group, QRZ.com, the OCARG EAGLE, CQ Magazine, and now the ARRL Web. Many, many dedicated ham-Scouters simply are not aware of the existence of this Yahoo group nor of any other of the ham-Scouting organizations in the US, Canada, and other parts of the world. We need to heighten their awareness through all possible media means in the hopes that any particular ham-Scouter who has been functioning in a vacuum will sooner or later read at least one article someplace about the SCCP and the ScoutRadio Group and, hopefully become involved in the larger ham-Scouting effort. Section Newsletters reach a broad spectrum of ham operators of whom I am certain many are involved in Scouting, but are unaware of our efforts to organize at higher levels and share mutually beneficial information.

      73 and YIS,
      Fred K2FRD

      At 4:07 PM -0700 7/7/06, Bill Dale wrote:

      >The ARRL posted it on their web page and gave it a RSS feed.
      >See http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/07/06/102/?nc=1
      >
      >They gave a link to the yahoo group site.
      >
      >William Dale - N2RHV -
      >Santa Clara Valley Section Manager, ARRL
      >Milpitas Amateur Radio & Electronic Society (MARES) Treasurer
      >http://w6mlp.org
      >http://radioflier.blogspot.com
      mailto:n2rhv@...

      Editor-Publisher
      http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm
    • Bill Dale
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 8, 2006
        Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

        > Bill, as a League Section Manager and active Scouter, have you
        > considered posting the SCCP to your monthly Section Newsletter? We can
        > use all the coverage we can get from any source. We're already seeing
        > positive effects of the SCCP's publication/posting on this group,
        > QRZ.com, the OCARG EAGLE, CQ Magazine, and now the ARRL Web. Many, many
        > dedicated ham-Scouters simply are not aware of the existence of this
        > Yahoo group nor of any other of the ham-Scouting organizations in the
        > US, Canada, and other parts of the world. We need to heighten their
        > awareness through all possible media means in the hopes that any
        > particular ham-Scouter who has been functioning in a vacuum will sooner
        > or later read at least one article someplace about the SCCP and the
        > ScoutRadio Group and, hopefully become involved in the larger
        > ham-Scouting effort. Section Newsletters reach a broad spectrum of ham
        > operators of whom I am certain many are involved in Scouting, but are
        > unaware of our efforts to organize at higher levels and share mutually
        > beneficial information.
        >
        > 73 and YIS,
        > Fred K2FRD

        I am giving the SCCP wide dissemination. And the idea of a Assistant
        Section Manager for Scouting and Youth is awesome. I already have
        several candidates. Troop 92 holds club call KM6BSA here in Silly
        Valley. Hope to hear you on the bands from camp!

        --

        William Dale - N2RHV -
        Santa Clara Valley Section Manager, ARRL
        Milpitas Amateur Radio & Electronic Society (MARES) Treasurer
        http://w6mlp.org
        http://radioflier.blogspot.com
        mailto:n2rhv@...
      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 8, 2006
          Thanks, Fred, but your own efforts with the Eagle (a very good
          choice of name BTW, much better than Fox) put mine to shame. As I
          said in the interview, it was Scouting that introduced me to the
          wonderful world of Amateur Radio in the first place.

          The bottom line... let's set a collective goal of offering an annual
          Radio Merit Badge Day in every council across the county! Central
          New Jersey Council is already covered as we'll be doing next years
          at the David Sarnoff Library in January 2007. The instructional
          materials are in this Yahoo Groups files area free for the
          downloading.

          It's win for Amateur Radio and a win for the Scouts! The only folks
          who lose are few electrons in the ionosphere who get excited.

          73 & YIS,

          Gary Wilson, K2GW
          Unit Commisioner
          Mercer Area District, CNJ Council
          A Good Old Eagle (and WB Staffer)

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...>
          wrote:

          > Gary, since you are one of the very proactive ham-Scouters
          promoting ham radio in Scouting and Scouting in ham radio and have
          been for many years, it goes without saying (but needs to be said
          anyway) that your efforts are very much appreciated. If there was a
          Silver Beaver for ham-Scouting (a Radio Beaver Award?), you'd be
          right up there on the list of awardees! Even from my insignificant
          level, I would still like to forward my thanks and congratulations
          for a job well done with the 99hobbies interview. By extending our
          ham-Scouting interests outside our own worlds of Scouting and ham
          radio, you have enabled us to have a good shot at reaching the other
          worlds to let them know we exist.
        • Fred Stevens K2FRD
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 8, 2006
            Gary, I gotta learn to read ahead in the same threads before I respond to any. I think I may have erred in my last post by labeling you a Fox. If I falsely accused you of being in the wrong WB Patrol, I humbly and contritely beseech your forgiveness, knowing that this unworthy person does not deserve forgiveness for such a grievous transgression. :-( Might you be (I cleverly deduce) an Eagle? =-O

            The OCARG EAGLE's name came about by a vote of the early OCARG members, mostly Otschodela Council ham-Scouters who forwarded several names for the then "bulletin". The EAGLE won handily.

            Like you, I was introduced to ham radio as a Scout. While I had been interested in electronics and radio from my earliest days and was aware of ham radio, it wasn't until my first year on Crumhorn Mtn Scout Camp staff in 1960 at the age of 14 that I actually saw a ham in action. Bob Nichols K2VTT was area director for the Craft Lodge and had set up his station in "the shop". I saw all those bells, whistles, dials, gauges, knobs, and buttons and fell in love with ham radio. Within six months, I earned my Novice as WV2RNN and never looked back. In addition to earning my Eagle rank and taking a Philmont trek, earning my ham license was one of the high points of my Scouting youth. I would like to pass along these accomplishments as goals for as many Scouts as possible.

            A Radio Merit Badge Day in every council is a lofty goal to which I think we can at least strive. Best I can tell is that there are 277 or 285 Councils in the US: http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Scouting/Organizations/Boy_Scouts_of_America/Councils/ . We'll first need a generic program for such an event with it flexible enough to tie in with JOTA or other ham-Scouting activities within each Council so that we can sell it to each Council. Some Councils have Scout-O-Ramas while others have Merit Badge colleges which would tie in nicely with this proposal. We'll also need someone to organize such a program. Volunteers? It's a doable project. I'll keep this topic active while I do some background research.

            73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD

            At 1:18 AM +0000 7/9/06, Gary Wilson wrote:
            >Thanks, Fred, but your own efforts with the Eagle (a very good
            >choice of name BTW, much better than Fox) put mine to shame. As I
            >said in the interview, it was Scouting that introduced me to the
            >wonderful world of Amateur Radio in the first place.
            >
            >The bottom line... let's set a collective goal of offering an annual
            >Radio Merit Badge Day in every council across the county! Central
            >New Jersey Council is already covered as we'll be doing next years
            >at the David Sarnoff Library in January 2007. The instructional
            >materials are in this Yahoo Groups files area free for the
            >downloading.
            >
            >It's win for Amateur Radio and a win for the Scouts! The only folks
            >who lose are few electrons in the ionosphere who get excited.

            Editor-Publisher
            http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm
          • William Albert
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 9, 2006
              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...> wrote:

              > Gary, I gotta learn to read ahead in the same threads before I
              respond to any. I think I may have erred in my last post by labeling
              you a Fox. If I falsely accused you of being in the wrong WB Patrol, I
              humbly and contritely beseech your forgiveness, knowing that this
              unworthy person does not deserve forgiveness for such a grievous
              transgression. :-(

              Go Bears WB SR=194 !!!!