Re: [ScoutRadio] New Members...

  • Bill Dale
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 7, 2006
      Jon Pearl - W4ABC wrote:

      > I'm wondering if the new Scout Camp Protocol story has found another new
      > place to roost? Before I started typing this email, our list had grown by
      > another nine members today. While typing, the tenth new members joined and
      > it's not quite 2300 hours local, here.
      >
      > Who's reading what, where?
      >
      > Fraternally,
      >
      > Jon Pearl - W4ABC

      The ARRL posted it on their web page and gave it a RSS feed.
      See http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/07/06/102/?nc=1

      They gave a link to the yahoo group site.

      --

      William Dale - N2RHV -
      Santa Clara Valley Section Manager, ARRL
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 7, 2006
        Jon, Gary, Dan, Frank, Tony, and all the Loyal members of ScoutRadio--

        I feel we are experiencing some major breakthroughs toward our common goals of integrating ham radio into Scouting and Scouting into ham radio. Just within the past week, we've seen Dan's news release in CQ Magazine, the ARRL Web News, and the slightly older QRZ.com forum (forgive me if I've missed any; there are probably more). In addition, there's been some major efforts made with ham-Scouting here in Arizona (details to come later). If subscriptions to the OCARG EAGLE and ScoutRadio are any measurement, we are seeing a major momentum build-up toward increased awareness among hams and Scouters of the existence of the mutually beneficial relationship between our two worlds.

        Let's keep the momentum and surge of enthusiasm going!

        73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
        Editor-Publisher
        OCARG EAGLE
        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm

        ARRL Web News article on SCCP:

        At 10:38 AM -0400 7/7/06, Jon Pearl - W4ABC wrote:
        >Hi Fred.
        >
        >Yes, I saw the QRZ article, but it has since dropped down off of the front
        >page. That's why I questioned just what was going on. I knew that we had
        >to attribute it to something else. On the whole, the Dan's article made it
        >through the QRZ gauntlet relatively unscathed! You're never going to get
        >everybody on-board 100% on any issue, but throwing an article onto the QRZ
        >message boards can test your mettle. ;>)
        >
        >And, yes... I saw the article in the Eagle. You're doing O/T with the
        >extended summer edition!
        >
        >I've got a subscription to CQ and judging from the number of new members to
        >the group, the latest edition is no doubt in the mail!
        >
        >Good job, Dan. Good job, Fred.
        >YIS
        >Jon Pearl - W4ABC
        >
        > > Jon, the OCARG EAGLE has also seen a surge of some dozen new subscribers.
        >> Many have come as a result of Dan AI4GK's news release on QRZ.com
        >> http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=3&t=124409 It's also my
        >> understanding that CQ magazine very recently published Dan's SCCP news
        >> release, so we may also be seeing new members from that source. Think what
        >> it'll be like when other major publications, both online and off place an
        >> article in their respective magazines. The Word is getting out, albeit
        >> slowly.
        >>
        >> I only just got the SCCP on my own website:
        >> http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/SCCP.htm .
        >>
        >> The trickle may become a flood... this is a GOOD thing!
        >>
        > > 73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD
      • Frank Krizan
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 7, 2006

          HOW … HOW

          From a good ol’ Fox, too!

          YiS, Frank KR1ZAN

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 8, 2006
            Here's yet another recent development in the ScoutRadio efforts within Virginia; an e-mail I received
            from a fellow ham earlier this week:

            Good morning Virginia Amateurs,
            >I would like to introduce myself. I am Rue Stuteville
            KA4PLH nickname is
            >Rudy, I am the new appointed Asst. Section Manager
            for Scouting and Youth.
            >I have been involved in amateur radio since 1980
            and scouting since 1949,
            >I hold an extra class license. My scouting
            awards are I am an Eagle Scout
            >earning it in 1954, I also earned the
            Explorer Silver Award 1956. I have
            >been awarded the District Award of
            Merit and the Silver Beaver from the
            >Tidewater Council.
            >This
            position is new to the Virginia Section and I am kind of winging it
            >right now. I have been looking at all the web sites and see that a lot
            you
            >are already doing a lot for Virginia scouting and youth. This means
            I can
            >look at you for help and some ideas to make Virginia number 1 in
            getting
            >our youth involved in Amateur Radio.
            >I need pictures and
            articles on what you are doing with the youth. If
            >there is enough we can
            make a little enewsletter on our happens.
            >Let me know what you
            think,

            >73's
            >
            >Rudy
            >KA4PLH

            Things are really getting exciting and taking shape.

            73,
            Dave Adsit
            KG4BIR
            Scoutmaster, Troop 159
            Stephens City, Virginia

            Jon, Gary, Dan, Frank, Tony, and all the Loyal members of ScoutRadio--

            I feel we are experiencing some major breakthroughs toward our common goals of integrating ham radio into Scouting and Scouting into ham radio. Just within the past week, we've seen Dan's news release in CQ Magazine, the ARRL Web News, and the slightly older QRZ.com forum (forgive me if I've missed any; there are probably more). In addition, there's been some major efforts made with ham-Scouting here in Arizona (details to come later). If subscriptions to the OCARG EAGLE and ScoutRadio are any measurement, we are seeing a major momentum build-up toward increased awareness among hams and Scouters of the existence of the mutually beneficial relationship between our two worlds.

            Let's keep the momentum and surge of enthusiasm going!

            73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
            Editor-Publisher
            OCARG EAGLE
            http://homepage. mac.com/k2frd/ ocarg.htm

            At 11:20 AM -0400 7/7/06, Tony Joint wrote:

            ARRL Web News article on SCCP:

            ><http://www.arrl. org/news/ stories/2006/ 07/06/102/>http://www.arrl. org/news/ stories/2006/ 07/06/102/

            At 10:38 AM -0400 7/7/06, Jon Pearl - W4ABC wrote:
            >Hi Fred.
            >
            >Yes, I saw the QRZ article, but it has since dropped down off of the front
            >page. That's why I questioned just what was going on. I knew that we had
            >to attribute it to something else. On the whole, the Dan's article made it
            >through the QRZ gauntlet relatively unscathed! You're never going to get
            >everybody on-board 100% on any issue, but throwing an article onto the QRZ
            >message boards can test your mettle. ;>)
            >
            >And, yes... I saw the article in the Eagle. You're doing O/T with the
            >extended summer edition!
            >
            >I've got a subscription to CQ and judging from the number of new members to
            >the group, the latest edition is no doubt in the mail!
            >
            >Good job, Dan. Good job, Fred.
            >YIS
            >Jon Pearl - W4ABC
            >
            > > Jon, the OCARG EAGLE has also seen a surge of some dozen new subscribers.
            >> Many have come as a result of Dan AI4GK's news release on QRZ.com
            >> http://www.qrz. com/ib-bin/ ikonboard. cgi?act=ST& f=3&t=124409 It's also my
            >> understanding that CQ magazine very recently published Dan's SCCP news
            >> release, so we may also be seeing new members from that source. Think what
            >> it'll be like when other major publications, both online and off place an
            >> article in their respective magazines. The Word is getting out, albeit
            >> slowly.
            >>
            >> I only just got the SCCP on my own website:
            >> http://homepage. mac.com/k2frd/ SCCP.htm .
            >>
            >> The trickle may become a flood... this is a GOOD thing!
            >>
            > > 73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • Fred Stevens K2FRD
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 8, 2006
              Bill, as a League Section Manager and active Scouter, have you considered posting the SCCP to your monthly Section Newsletter? We can use all the coverage we can get from any source. We're already seeing positive effects of the SCCP's publication/posting on this group, QRZ.com, the OCARG EAGLE, CQ Magazine, and now the ARRL Web. Many, many dedicated ham-Scouters simply are not aware of the existence of this Yahoo group nor of any other of the ham-Scouting organizations in the US, Canada, and other parts of the world. We need to heighten their awareness through all possible media means in the hopes that any particular ham-Scouter who has been functioning in a vacuum will sooner or later read at least one article someplace about the SCCP and the ScoutRadio Group and, hopefully become involved in the larger ham-Scouting effort. Section Newsletters reach a broad spectrum of ham operators of whom I am certain many are involved in Scouting, but are unaware of our efforts to organize at higher levels and share mutually beneficial information.

              73 and YIS,
              Fred K2FRD

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 8, 2006
                Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

                > Bill, as a League Section Manager and active Scouter, have you
                > considered posting the SCCP to your monthly Section Newsletter? We can
                > use all the coverage we can get from any source. We're already seeing
                > positive effects of the SCCP's publication/posting on this group,
                > QRZ.com, the OCARG EAGLE, CQ Magazine, and now the ARRL Web. Many, many
                > dedicated ham-Scouters simply are not aware of the existence of this
                > Yahoo group nor of any other of the ham-Scouting organizations in the
                > US, Canada, and other parts of the world. We need to heighten their
                > awareness through all possible media means in the hopes that any
                > particular ham-Scouter who has been functioning in a vacuum will sooner
                > or later read at least one article someplace about the SCCP and the
                > ScoutRadio Group and, hopefully become involved in the larger
                > ham-Scouting effort. Section Newsletters reach a broad spectrum of ham
                > operators of whom I am certain many are involved in Scouting, but are
                > unaware of our efforts to organize at higher levels and share mutually
                > beneficial information.
                >
                > 73 and YIS,
                > Fred K2FRD

                I am giving the SCCP wide dissemination. And the idea of a Assistant
                Section Manager for Scouting and Youth is awesome. I already have
                several candidates. Troop 92 holds club call KM6BSA here in Silly
                Valley. Hope to hear you on the bands from camp!

                --

                William Dale - N2RHV -
                Santa Clara Valley Section Manager, ARRL
                Milpitas Amateur Radio & Electronic Society (MARES) Treasurer
                http://w6mlp.org
                http://radioflier.blogspot.com
                mailto:n2rhv@...
              • Gary Wilson
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 8, 2006
                  Thanks, Fred, but your own efforts with the Eagle (a very good
                  choice of name BTW, much better than Fox) put mine to shame. As I
                  said in the interview, it was Scouting that introduced me to the
                  wonderful world of Amateur Radio in the first place.

                  The bottom line... let's set a collective goal of offering an annual
                  Radio Merit Badge Day in every council across the county! Central
                  New Jersey Council is already covered as we'll be doing next years
                  at the David Sarnoff Library in January 2007. The instructional
                  materials are in this Yahoo Groups files area free for the
                  downloading.

                  It's win for Amateur Radio and a win for the Scouts! The only folks
                  who lose are few electrons in the ionosphere who get excited.

                  73 & YIS,

                  Gary Wilson, K2GW
                  Unit Commisioner
                  Mercer Area District, CNJ Council
                  A Good Old Eagle (and WB Staffer)

                  --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...>

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 8, 2006
                    Gary, I gotta learn to read ahead in the same threads before I respond to any. I think I may have erred in my last post by labeling you a Fox. If I falsely accused you of being in the wrong WB Patrol, I humbly and contritely beseech your forgiveness, knowing that this unworthy person does not deserve forgiveness for such a grievous transgression. :-( Might you be (I cleverly deduce) an Eagle? =-O

                    The OCARG EAGLE's name came about by a vote of the early OCARG members, mostly Otschodela Council ham-Scouters who forwarded several names for the then "bulletin". The EAGLE won handily.

                    Like you, I was introduced to ham radio as a Scout. While I had been interested in electronics and radio from my earliest days and was aware of ham radio, it wasn't until my first year on Crumhorn Mtn Scout Camp staff in 1960 at the age of 14 that I actually saw a ham in action. Bob Nichols K2VTT was area director for the Craft Lodge and had set up his station in "the shop". I saw all those bells, whistles, dials, gauges, knobs, and buttons and fell in love with ham radio. Within six months, I earned my Novice as WV2RNN and never looked back. In addition to earning my Eagle rank and taking a Philmont trek, earning my ham license was one of the high points of my Scouting youth. I would like to pass along these accomplishments as goals for as many Scouts as possible.

                    A Radio Merit Badge Day in every council is a lofty goal to which I think we can at least strive. Best I can tell is that there are 277 or 285 Councils in the US: http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Scouting/Organizations/Boy_Scouts_of_America/Councils/ . We'll first need a generic program for such an event with it flexible enough to tie in with JOTA or other ham-Scouting activities within each Council so that we can sell it to each Council. Some Councils have Scout-O-Ramas while others have Merit Badge colleges which would tie in nicely with this proposal. We'll also need someone to organize such a program. Volunteers? It's a doable project. I'll keep this topic active while I do some background research.

                    73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD

                    At 1:18 AM +0000 7/9/06, Gary Wilson wrote:
                    >Thanks, Fred, but your own efforts with the Eagle (a very good
                    >choice of name BTW, much better than Fox) put mine to shame. As I
                    >said in the interview, it was Scouting that introduced me to the
                    >wonderful world of Amateur Radio in the first place.
                    >
                    >The bottom line... let's set a collective goal of offering an annual
                    >Radio Merit Badge Day in every council across the county! Central
                    >New Jersey Council is already covered as we'll be doing next years
                    >at the David Sarnoff Library in January 2007. The instructional
                    >materials are in this Yahoo Groups files area free for the
                    >downloading.
                    >
                    >It's win for Amateur Radio and a win for the Scouts! The only folks
                    >who lose are few electrons in the ionosphere who get excited.

                    Editor-Publisher
                    http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm
                  • William Albert
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 9, 2006
                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...> wrote:

                      > Gary, I gotta learn to read ahead in the same threads before I
                      respond to any. I think I may have erred in my last post by labeling
                      you a Fox. If I falsely accused you of being in the wrong WB Patrol, I
                      humbly and contritely beseech your forgiveness, knowing that this
                      unworthy person does not deserve forgiveness for such a grievous
                      transgression. :-(

                      Go Bears WB SR=194 !!!!