Re: SCCP News Release

  • ravennaelectronics
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2006
      This is a great! I am glad to see more involvment. I will be
      taking my HF field station to Camp Gerber Scout Camp this summer
      when I am doing Camp Commissioner. I will be setting it up and
      allowing for Scouts and Scouters to make contacts. I will be there
      for a week in July and then again for a week in August. I know of
      other Scouters/amateur radio operators that are going to bring an HF
      field station with them as well.

      73
      Doc, KD8BGQ

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, <fisher_daniel@...> wrote:

      > NEWS RELEASE
      >
      > Calling Plan Established for Boy Scout Camps
      >
      > By Daniel Fisher, AI4GK
      > South Brevard County, Florida PIO, ARRL
      >
      > A small group of Amateur Radio operators who also are involved in
      Boy Scouts of America (BSA) recently established a calling plan for
      Boy Scout camps.

      > In late April, Nathaniel Frissell, W2NAF, posed a challenge, of
      sorts, to members of the Scout Radio Yahoo group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadio, to come up with a summer
      camp net so that Scouts can talk to one another. Frissell
      said, "Scout camp radio stations are often frustrated when they have
      limited times to get on the air and can't find anyone to talk with."

      > What happened was astounding. After a very few weeks of discussion
      led by Frank Krizan, KR1ZAN, President of the K2BSA Amateur Radio
      Association, the Scout Radio members came up with an HF calling
      plan, dubbed Scout Camps Calling Protocol, or SCCP. According to
      Krizan, SCCP is not a net, but rather, a plan for ham-Scouts and
      Scouters throughout the United States, Canada and the world to make
      contact with other Scouts and Scouters for Radio Merit Badge
      requirements, Amateur Radio demonstrations, emergency preparedness,
      passing NTS traffic, or any other purpose, including
      ragchewing. "The intent is to encourage camps and folks at home to
      get on the air at prescribed times and provide radio contacts for
      scouts at camp – for many of whom this will be their first amateur
      radio contact," said Krizan. The plan is broad-based, and with the
      many camps and time zones, the likelihood of a Scout camp contacting
      another specific camp is slim. Ham-Scouters and other interested
      hams not at camp are encouraged to support to Scouts and Scouters
      who are attending camp by providing contacts for them.

      > The SCCP plan's strength is its simplicity.
      > 1. Scout camps, and any interested ham-Scouters not at camp,
      are encouraged to get on the air at 1300, 1900, and 2100 hours local
      time.
      > 2. Calling times extend from 5 minutes before to 5 minutes
      after the hour. The recognized call will be "CQ SCOUT CAMPS."
      > 3. Use the traditional Scout calling frequencies, +/- 10 KHz,
      avoiding any nets.
      http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/jota.html#frequencies has additional
      information.
      > BAND SSB CW
      > 80 Meters 3.740 / 3.940 MHz 3.590 MHz
      > 40 Meters 7.270 MHz * 7.030 MHz
      > 20 Meters 14.290 MHz ** 14.070 MHz ***
      > 4. There are two frequency bands for each time. Participating
      stations will use the higher band during the 5 minutes before the
      hour and the lower band during the 5 minutes after the hour to
      maximize propagation conditions.
      > 5. The bands to use are:
      > 1. Daytime (1300 and 1900 hours): 20m/40m.
      > 2. Nighttime (2100 hours): 40m/80m.
      > 6. Scout camps, Scouts and Scouters from the United States,
      Canada, and the rest of the world are encouraged to monitor
      according to the plan from 1700Z to 2000Z and from 2300Z to 0400Z to
      support Scout camps with traffic handling and talking with Scouts.

      > *7.270 might be unusable in the evening and night hours due to
      Asian broadcast stations. Tune up or down to find an opening.
      > **Avoid 14.300, since the Maritime Mobile Service Net and the
      Intercontinental Traffic Net use this frequency.
      > ***Although 14.070 is listed as the Scout CW calling frequency, do
      not use it because it is the international PSK-31 frequency.
      Suggested frequency is 14.065. Please refer to the following link
      for more details.
      > http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/JOTA.htm
      > Bob Bruninga, WB4APR, developer of Automatic Position Reporting
      System (APRS) and another avid ham-Scouter, has added the following
      suggestions for Scout camps and ham-Scouters equipped with APRS.
      > 1. If your camp has APRS, send a message to SCOUTS at the
      beginning and end of all operating periods. An APRS message to
      SCOUTS will be retransmitted everywhere in the USA and the world
      where SCOUTS has been added to the automatic "pass-to-RF" at the
      local IGate.
      > 2. Contact the local IGate that serves your camp area and ask
      the SYSOP to include "SCOUTS" in its automatic "pass-to-RF" list.
      This way, you can receive, in real time, any other SCOUTS messages
      in the world alerting you of other stations on the air.
      > 3. Make sure that your station is using the APRS symbol for
      Scouts. That way, any other station in the world can check the APRS
      FINDU Web page and see live which other SCOUT stations are on the
      air.
      > http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/symbol.cgi?icon=/,&limit=2000
      >
      > The Scout Camp Calling Protocol was originally published in the
      OCARG EAGLE, an e-Zine dedicated to RadioScouting. The editor is
      Fred Stevens, K2FRD. Current and archived copies of the EAGLE are
      available at http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/ocarg.htm Scouts and
      scouters interested in RadioScouting are encouraged to subscribe to
      the OCARG EAGLE, free of charge. Our thanks to Fred and the EAGLE
      for permission to use parts of his article in this report.

      > Nathaniel Frissell, W2NAF, a very active ham-Scouter from
      Bloomfield, New Jersey, runs the technology program and Amateur
      Radio activities at Forestburg Scout Reservation (W2FSR) in
      Forestburgh, NY. The program includes a Technician license class and
      VE sessions each week during the camp. During the summer of 2005,
      Nathaniel also served on the K2BSA staff at the National Boy Scout
      Jamboree at Fort A.P. Hill, VA.

      > Daniel Fisher, AI4GK is a ham-Scouter and a public information
      officer for the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) in Palm Bay,
      Florida. He has assisted in operating JOTA stations in South Brevard
      County, Florida for several years and regularly operates HF and VHF
      stations at Boy Scout camps. Dan previously has contributed Scouting
      stories to the ARRL Web site. He can be contacted at ai4gk@...